Which convertible?

henrietta

Baby Girl is 13 months, average weight & height (20 lbs or so) & 30 inches..

Needs to rear face to at least age 2...prefer 3....
Must have easy buckles (arthritis in my hands...love the buckles on our combi cocorro)
Last a long time overall....

Prefer rebound control of some kind...

Bonus for a cupholder, too, but not a deal breaker.

I have some trouble lifting her out of the cocorro due to deep sides, so while I really like the Chicco, it's deep & doesn't have a rear facing tether.

I can wait for a new awesome seat...or buy now....I have time to play...prices are good on the clicktight & rainier right now. ;)

Going in my '09 Honda Odyssey

So, what would be your pick?

Thanks!

ADS

lgenne

Tapatalk ate my post, but it sounds like a Diono seat meets your criteria perfectly. Low profile, RF tethering, RF well beyond 3, and I find the buckle easier than the CCO.

Mary_Ann

Foonf or Fllo? The crotch buckle is easy to undo, more than the radian. I find it easy to load my 22 mo in it and it should be easy in your Ody.

henrietta

Unbuckling is harder for me than buckling.

The bonus of the Cocorro is that the buckle has that wonderful button that pushes *down*, as opposed to "in". So, I can get hold it in one hand and easily push it down and it opens. Most of the ones where you push the button in are a bit difficult for me. I'm doing really well right now, but who knows how I'll be next winter or whenever. ;)

The downside of the Cocorro buckle is holding the puzzle buckle together to buckle it. LOL Sometimes, I can't feel the tips of my fingers really well and it makes it harder.

henrietta

What about comfort in the Foonf or Fllo?

Heard that it's not real padded...and she is not exactly a super carseat rider.

jwilliams

What about comfort in the Foonf or Fllo?

Heard that it's not real padded...and she is not exactly a super carseat rider.

My mom has arthritis and her hands aren't great. I'll have her try my Fllo out when it shows up (which cannot be soon enough). I'll have my 5yo try out the padding... she's a bony-butt and complains about our Sureride not being comfortable.

henrietta

Thank you all!

Hadn't thought of a buckle bopper. :)

Truly, it's best for me if I can just get it undone myself. I will lose anything that's in the car...or my older boys will play with it and lose it. ;) Not to mention, it's another thing that is small that I have to hold. I've managed okay with our Britax before, and that was even before I had meds that actually worked. Our Evenflo's have given me trouble. Even when the buckles were replaced, I still had a tough time.

We take a several long trips per year (8-12 hours in the car), so comfort is pretty important.

I had thought about the Radians before, but the sides are just so shallow, it makes me uncomfortable...but the new ones piqued my interest b/c it seems improved. The Rainier seems like they have improved the sides a lot. And I really loved our Britax seats, so the Click Tight seems like a good option. I just don't know if it lasts any longer than the previous models (one kiddo made it to 3.5, the other to 26 months, rear facing in Britax...)

Keep the suggestions coming & keep me posted, please. Much appreciated!!

Hazelandlucy

The Fllo padding is fine! It's not squishy like a Britax, but you can't feel the seat back or frame at all. Definitely a thick enough cushion.

henrietta

The Fllo padding is fine! It's not squishy like a Britax, but you can't feel the seat back or frame at all. Definitely a thick enough cushion.

Is there a foam pad under the cover? Britax have an extra foam pad that lines their seats...at least, they used to. :) Although I doubt our Evenflo's ever had an extra pad & my boys favorite seat ever was the Triumph, but it's cover is super thick on it's own!! ;)

henrietta

I'm thinking I'll go with the Advocate or Boulevard Clicktight...they will last the longest of nearly anything height wise, with top slots over 18.5 inches and using the seat rear facing till the head is one inch from the top of the shell. (-; I didn't know that before. (The Marathon Clicktight is 16.75 inches, so much shorter).

It seems like the Foonf is so tall & heavy, plus the LATCH limits end up being so low...that said, it's still so tempting. I've lusted after one since they came out! I love rigid LATCH (we have it on a Cybex booster, and it's so nice!) I would love the easy harness adjuster, too...'

Ugh...I hate big money decisions!

jwilliams

Ugh...I hate big money decisions!

I know what you mean - I spent a looong time picking our new car, and I'm gradually picking new seats for in it. I rarely use LATCH (three across) and needed something narrow (see: three across :p) that wasn't another Radian, so the Fllo was a relatively easy choice, except for the price ;)

Now to decide on a new seat for the 5yo..I want to keep her harnessed for another year, but she just moved to the last slot of the Sureride, so our options are kind of limited because she's tall and unfortunately growing a proportionate torso. She doesn't love the Sureride because of the narrow straps and the hard seat.

Sigh. I hope you find The One :)

henrietta

I know what you mean - I spent a looong time picking our new car, and I'm gradually picking new seats for in it. I rarely use LATCH (three across) and needed something narrow (see: three across :p) that wasn't another Radian, so the Fllo was a relatively easy choice, except for the price ;)

Now to decide on a new seat for the 5yo..I want to keep her harnessed for another year, but she just moved to the last slot of the Sureride, so our options are kind of limited because she's tall and unfortunately growing a proportionate torso. She doesn't love the Sureride because of the narrow straps and the hard seat.

Sigh. I hope you find The One :)

Oh my...you've got light years ahead of you trying to get her buckled into a booster in a 3 across...is this the car you're keeping? Does it have a third row? That is one tall 5 year old!!! My 6 year old is dead even with the top slots of the Evenflo Secure Kid (one inch less harness than the Sure Ride), but we decided we were done with the harness anyways. He's fine in a booster. But if we were back in the three across we had a few months ago, he'd be sporting the SureRide or a Frontier. ;)

I'll never find The One. This started with my niece who's now 13...I haven't found The One yet. If Clek Foonf, Britax Advocate, and Diono Rainier made a baby, it might do it for me. It needs a fun, bright cover (not one solid color, even if it is bright) in a lighter hue, with a lighter color shell (all to keep the heat down & hide stains), cup holders, ARB/rear facing tether OR both, have a low profile on the seat, probably fit 3 across/fit in most 3 across, have side impact protection, last my kid till age 4 rear facing and age 6 forward facing, have an easy adjust harness, shoulder pads, no rethread harness, install easily w/LATCH & seatbelt, etc etc etc...and NOT require extra pieces to get it at a good angle for all in the car! ;)

jwilliams

Nope, no third row. It's a 2014 Accord sedan. Since a Sureride fits with room to spare, I'm secretly hoping a Frontier will fit, and I'll harness her to the max in one of those. It looks like their straps are much more comfortable for big kids. And, yeah, she's around 46" just a few months past her 5th birthday. Fortunately her younger sisters are the exact opposite - very petite, just outgrew the CCO RF at 2.5y, and only because they have longish torsos - so I only have to deal with one tall kid.

Anyway, in news more relevant to this thread, my Fllo is coming today :D I'm impatiently waiting for the FedEx truck.

jwilliams

So, re: Fllo padding... it's definitely a very firm seat. The back feels slightly more cushioned than the bottom, which I would go so far as to call hard. No complaints from the occupant, though, one of my 2yos absolutely loves the "new gray seat." Putting 25lbs of weight onto something is probably a lot different than putting an adult's weight on it. The other 2yo will only ride in the plum RXT, so I guess we've got assigned seats now.

The Fllo was fairly involved to set up but an absolute dream to install. So compact. So rock solid. I heart it. I've never had a convertible with RF lock-offs before and ZOMG have I been missing out!

henrietta

Well...I was dreaming on the Foonf, b/c I'd love to have rigid latch & a narrow seat, but I couldn't get past how tall it will be (hard on me physically), the lack of padding, or the lack of pattern...& the Fllo loses the rigid Latch along with gaining lower profile. Wasn't digging on the Radian's still low sides & again, lack of pattern...although I probably would have found it the easiest for me day to day..

Ordered an Advocate CT & hope I love it...or at least like it, cause I'm not paying Albee's restocking fee. (-;

If I try it with latch & can't get it out of my car, I fully expect Britax to replace the Latch strap after I cut it, cause I'm not going to ruin a $400 seat and I should not have to! (-;

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC