Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Graco snugride 40 click connect on Southwest

Hi,

I will be flying Southwest and the only car seat I have is the Graco snugride 40 click connect. Their website does not recommend a car seat wider then 16 in and I believe the snugride 40 is about 17.5 inches. My son is 8 weeks and 9 1/2 pounds. Has anyone used this particular car seat? Would I be able to gate check the stroller as well that accompanies the click connect car seat? Thank you in advance.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Re: Graco snugride 40 click connect on Southwest

You may need to raise the armrest, but the seat should fit fine. We used to fly with our Britax Marathons and they were at least 18" wide.

Yes to gate checking the stroller also, get a gate check tag when you get to the gate.

I'd practice installing the seat baseless before your trip, it should be very easy on the plane with the buckle above the seat and just pulling the tail to tighten. But knowing how to get it tight in the vehicle at your destination will be helpful (assuming you won't be taking the base with to use at your destination). Also, know where the sticker is on the side of the seat (and in the manual) stating that it's approved by the FAA, usually they don't ask but it did happen a couple of times. Also having the manual showing that the seat must be installed RF in case you get a flight attendant who thinks it would be better to FF (although with a LO that young hopefully they won't even bother you about that).

ETA - also, the carseat must be installed in the window seat so that it doesn't block anyone from exiting in an emergency. If you look through some of the other posts here you'll find more good advice about traveling with babies & carseats and an FAA print out that can be handy to bring with (I never took it but it has the statement about allowing carseats to be installed RF. The one time I was questioned about installing a seat RF I just said that's the way she rides in the car and they didn't say anything else).
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

4. Thank You from: