Towels/Noodles in a crash

Hazelandlucy

I just read about that recall of the Via infant seat because the recline foot might give way in an accident and cause the installation to be wrong (something along those lines!) So what about towels and pool noodles? Are they not going to fly out during a crash and cause the seat to be in the wrong position? I know there is a whole lot of downward rotation and movement away from the seat back any - so I had figured as long as the seat was in the right position pre crash, everything is ok....but the recall got me thinking!

ADS

Shanora

I think that in the testing it was found that the recline foot doesn't hold up at all in a crash, so that in the event of a secondary crash there is nothing to keep the seat properly installed. I think with a tightly rolled towel or a pool noodle, its not going to introduce as much slack into the seat belt as a collapsed recline foot after the first crash, and so would hold in a secondary crash.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Agreeing with Shanora... a recline foot that literally disappears (falls up into it's base, creating nothing but dead air where it was supposed to be), is different from a towel or noodle that is basically trapped in place under the seat and will compress, but not a a rate particularly higher than the vehicle seat materials.

tiggercat

Agreeing with Shanora... a recline foot that literally disappears (falls up into it's base, creating nothing but dead air where it was supposed to be), is different from a towel or noodle that is basically trapped in place under the seat and will compress, but not a a rate particularly higher than the vehicle seat materials.

What about a noodle-less install, say on a scenera?

IMO, that kind of speculation doesn't really belong in a recall.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We really have no idea how any seat will fare in a secondary crash. Any severe (and some moderate) crashes are going to cause the seat to shift and the belt/LATCH strap to stretch. Anything that happens after that will depend on circumstance.

1mommy

How does the scenera pass federal testing? Do they use noodles or do they install it at the right angle without noodles, or do they not bother with the right angle and just install it? (I would guess not, but I honestly don't know).

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I have had a Snugride 22 come into a check with a missing foot several times. The first time it happened, after explaining that they would need to use the seat baseless until the foot was replaced, I attempted to do a demo base install just so they would know how to install the fixed base. Without the foot inserted, the sides of the base flexed inward at the belt path when the seat belt was tightened-to the point that the seat wouldn't have been able to click into the base. The side walls are just too flimsy without the additional layer of plastic inside.

If the foot is supposed to be a structural component of the base itself like the SR22, it would be a big problem if it broke.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have had a Snugride 22 come into a check with a missing foot several times. The first time it happened, after explaining that they would need to use the seat baseless until the foot was replaced, I attempted to do a demo base install just so they would know how to install the fixed base. Without the foot inserted, the sides of the base flexed inward at the belt path when the seat belt was tightened-to the point that the seat wouldn't have been able to click into the base. The side walls are just too flimsy without the additional layer of plastic inside.

If the foot is supposed to be a structural component of the base itself like the SR22, it would be a big problem if it broke.

Yeah, big difference between the two seats, thanks for pointing that out.

I guess technically my kid stayed in the seat and the seat stayed attached to the car, so... Sceneras are safe enough, even with a gap? (rhetorical... I still actually do recommend them to people, can't wait for the NEXT to come out, it seems like it's going to be a vast, vast improvement).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC