Thoughts on Harmony Booster travel/occaisional use

mayasmommy

Hi All!!

I have a 6 1/2 yr old (rides harnessed in a Britax Frontier) and a small 4 year old (38" and 31lbs - he rides FF in a Radian).

I have two questions:

1. We are travelling to Mexico in a couple of weeks. We are taking an SUV from the airport to the resort and back (45 minutes drive), and may (???) take an excursion, though we have nothing planned. We have a CARES harness for the plane. Everyone is telling me I should skip the car seat, and just put him in the middle in the SUV, and we will be fine. I am not so sure I like that idea. But I know from previous travel, that having a car seat doesn't always mean being able to use it - especially considering that often cars/cabs in foreign countries don't even have seat belts in the back.

So, I was thinking of taking a Harmony folding Booster for him. It is rated for 30#, relatively inexpensive and folds which will make transporting it easier.

2. If we did get it, would we be able to use it at home for short trips? My DH doesn't have a seat in his car, so he can never pick up the kids, and my dad could also use one. Would we be able to stick this in one of their cars, so they could help with kid transporting. DS's school is a two miles from our home and there have been times I have had to travel over 20 minutes from work because he got sick at school and they couldn't go get him.

Most importantly, I guess - if the Harmony Folding Booster would work for us, and be safe for him, would I be able to stow it in an overhead compartment, or would I have to check it? I know checking a car seat is not usually recommended, though I would keep the box for some extra protection.

Thanks,

Dina

ADS

aeormsby

Which child are you considering the folding booster for? (both?)

I'd go with the folding booster for the 4yo and a Harmony Youth booster (NBB) for the 6yo for travel. Or were you planning on bringing the Radian for the 4yo? I'd still go with the NBB for the 6yo.

I would be concerned about vehicles potentially not having shoulder belts also (I've never been to Mexico, but I know that can be an issue with international travel). Boosters (and adults) are really only safe with lap/shoulder belts.

As for using the boosters at home... For your 6yo - definitely using a booster part or full time at this point is safe (as long as he sits properly). At 4yo and small I'd possibly consider using a booster in an emergency type situation but not full time even in a 2nd/less used vehicle. I think my kids were 5yo and 40lb before we started the booster in our 2nd vehicle.

Trust your gut. You don't want a 31 lb child riding in the back of an SUV -- not here, and certainly not in another country -- without additional protection. Take a carseat.

Because boosters require lap/shoulder belts, I wouldn't take one to Mexico. Shoulder belts can be hard to find there. You'll want a convertible seat that can be installed with just a lap belt. As I mentioned on another post, we also take a ratchet strap (some others take a rope) on international trips so that if there are no seat belts at all, you can still secure a carseat as best as you can.

You can either take your Radian or find an inexpensive, light carseat for travel and for occasional use in your DH and dad's cars. The Radian is great on planes and has installed well for us in other countries (take the included tether connector strap with you and attach it to a seat post as described in the manual -- it's super easy to do). It's heavy, but there are two good ways to get it through the airport: either strap it to the back of a rolling carry-on bag or, if you have a double umbrella stroller, bungee the folded Radian into one of the seats and your 4yo can ride in the other. Personally, I'd use the Radian or another convertible seat on the plane and save the CARES harness for a later domestic trip when a booster makes more sense on the other end.

As far as checking a carseat or booster, my advice differs somewhat from others' so take it or leave it. I was an airline pilot before becoming a full-time mom. I'd have no problem checking a booster or carseat either in its original packaging, or wrapped in bubble wrap and clearly identifiable as such IF this was the best option for the family and would make the difference between traveling with a carseat vs. traveling without. Passenger service items (wheelchairs, walkers, carseats...) are not thrown around like other bags sometimes are. But it's way preferable to carry the seat with you if you can make it work.

Hope this helps. If you want to find a good travel convertible, there are lots of recommendations on this board.

Enjoy your trip!

I'd not noticed the age of your older child. The other poster is right -- it'd be best to bring a booster along for your older one as well. You may not be able to use it (again, the shoulder belt issue) but then again, you might. The Harmony NBB is $14, light and relatively small. Or look into the BubbleBum -- we use this for our 7yo on trips because it packs down so small he can fit it into his own rolling bag.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC