Question Helping (correcting) others

Rm2000hg

Under what circumstances and to what extent do you get involved when you see children not being secured properly in the car?

ADS

BananaBoat

Not unless they ask. Most people get very defensive when they get unsolicited advice and the "help" falls on deaf ears.
If I see very small children completely unrestrained in a moving vehicle, I will call the non-emergency police number with the license plate number.

People will ask for help if they want it. Otherwise, well-intentioned "help" typically ends up doing more harm than good, unfortunately.

1mommy

Depends, for example FF what seems to be a 1 year old, loose straps, chest clip to low - nothing. One time I saw a fellow daycare parent with a FF infant bucket seat in their small car- then I just simply told the Dad the seat wasnt meant to be FF and it isn't safe, to which the Dad polietly replied he outgrew that seat long ago anyways, and we left it at that. Also depends on who it is - total stranger I'm less likely to speak up then if I know the person at all. Debating about asking if I can pass out a car safety flyer to my youngest sons daycare class because I see a lot of loose straps and low chest clip but don't want to offend the parents.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't get involved with strangers.

Friends/acquaintances I try to find a way to work into conversation that I'm a tech and available to answer any questions.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Rarely. I handle it on a case-by-case basis. One day I was at work, assisting with an install in the parking lot, and needed to step aside for a mom in the adjacent car to load her child. She loaded a child in a FF infant seat, and I literally could not stand there and not say something. I very very gently said to her, "Ma'am, I know it's none of my business, but I work here at (work) in the car seat program, and I wanted to make sure you knew that seat wasn't designed to go FF and won't protect your child properly." She agreed to let me turn it around, show her a baseless install (she hadn't installed it at all since she didn't have the base) and buckle the crotch buckle... It was a situation where I felt I couldn't stay silent from a professional standpoint.

I've also talked to moms at church nursery; usually it's something like, "Hey, did you know that buckle is recalled?" that leads to a full-on discussion with them requesting info.

I think there was one other parking lot encounter similar to the first, where I was literally standing there waiting for someone to load their child and noticed gross misuse (FF with belt through RF belt path.) Again I was careful to be very apologetic, "I'm sorry, I know this isn't my business but I work in passenger safety and I couldn't help but notice..."

For the most part, I don't touch a darned thing though.

lgenne

Anyone have an opinion on this?

A relative who has called me for parenting advice numerous times before just posted a video of her FF 7 month old to FB. The car seat looks like a Safety 1st Complete Air, so there's no reason it couldn't just be turned around.

She's young (early 20s) and this is her first. And she knows she's surrounded by a lot of bad parenting advice. She's physically thousands of miles away.

Should I just text her and ask if she wants to have a conversation about car seat safety? Baby at least appeared to be buckled correctly for a FF install, so I've seen worse...

aept

Yes, I think in this case it's ok. Considering she already asks you for parenting advice I think it would not be "unwelcome advice" like it might be if it were a stranger or something. (As discussed recently in other threads and this thread!) Maybe start by complementing her on the new car seat and how it's a "favorite" amongst the safety nuts. (I think that's an accurate enough statement?)

lgenne

It went well! Baby meets weight requirements for FF, but obviously not age requirements. Mom had no idea, and was a little concerned that the baby will scream rear facing, because she screamed RF before. But that was also in her infant seat, which she has always screamed in. And the Complete Air is a much more comfortable seat.

lgenne

Yeah, she screamed in the infant seat when it wasn't in the car at all. I don't think it had anything to do with RF vs. FF. Which I pointed out to her mom.

1mommy

I think that's just an age for screaming in the car too, I remember my oldest being fine in his infant seat outside of the car, but as soon as we snapped it in screaming regardless.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC