Question Torn

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
I don't know what I want to do. My 6 month old is 92nd percentile for length and in my opinion has right at 1" above his head in his Keyfit in a cloth diaper and maybe an extra half inch in a disposable. I had stupidly assumed that we would at least get through the winter. I got a Graco clone in the rebate window. The problem now is that my husband really still wants an infant seat (he's home with him during the day). I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting a Snugride 35 (classic) in the first place as we may end up with one.

Attachments

• image-3337648753.jpg
    image-3337648753.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2347393374.jpg
    image-2347393374.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 103
ADS

Dillipop

I don't know what I want to do. My 6 month old is 92nd percentile for length and in my opinion has right at 1" above his head in his Keyfit in a cloth diaper and maybe an extra half inch in a disposable. I had stupidly assumed that we would at least get through the winter. I got a Graco clone in the rebate window. The problem now is that my husband really still wants an infant seat (he's home with him during the day). I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting a Snugride 35 (classic) in the first place as we may end up with one.

I'm sorry. It happened to us too with kid #3, though for different reasons. We had a britax companion that I got on super clearance and when her head reached that mark, we still needed something that would work in our 3 across and come out easily. I ended up with a combo shuttle 33 from a trusted member on here. I think she lasted in that thing until she was close to 2. It was perfect in our 3 across and got us through that second winter in an infant seat.

ETA- our second child lasted until about age 18 months in our safeseat1, which is the predecessor of the snug ride 35 classic, I believe. He was about 75th for height, iirc. It was sooooo long ago!

Carolinadaisy

Use a 1" thick book on top of his head perpendicular to the seat to check. That looks like more than 1" to me so you should still have some time. Seems like height slows down some after 6 months too, so you may have longer than you think. Both of my boys were above the 90% and made it to 9 or 10 months before outgrowing our keyfit.

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
I had the original SS1 for my niece in my car , she's almost 8. I went back and forth so many times between the SR35/KF. One of the problems with being a tech (for 12.5 yrs) and now a mom. We will be facing a big decision with a 2nd convertible before long as well.

Dillipop

I'm not a tech but have been active here for almost 10ish years. You don't want to know how many seats I've gone through with 3 kids and a 4th on the way...

For this baby coming, I have a nextfit and a combi shuttle and I really want to find an excuse to buy a new roundabout 50 classic before they disappear. I have so many covers... But I just can't justify it yet.

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
I've had so many seats over the years for nieces and nephews, now it's worse because it's my own kid!

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
I did the book trick (in a cloth diaper) and he has about 1/4" left in the seat. The measurements page lists the KF 30 with an internal seating height of 20" and SR35 21". Is 1" worth $100? We could use it for the next one which would be nice. I would need to hunt down a cheap Snugrider frame.

Carolinadaisy

I don't think that would be worth it to me. Seems like that wouldn't buy much time.

Also, why on earth does the keyfit have those top harness slots so high? I know we didn't use them before outgrowing the seat and it seems unlikely any kid would still fit by either the 30" or 1" from shell rule with that long of a torso.

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
Is she 8 now? I can't believe it's almost 2015 and the infant seats I love the most (and can afford) are the same as 2006 (summer I worked at BRU). I think we need to suck it up and use the convertibles and figure out a better stroller situation for my husband. We may fly again over spring break (by myself) and possibly this summer when I'll be cursing this decision. No guarantees he will fit in a SR34 by then.

Mom2Connor

That looks like way more than an inch to me. Also remember to measure using an upward angled line not directly head on parallel to the ground.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, she's almost nine... I can't believe the same seat has been so awesome for so long. Maybe they could make the shell an inch higher and throw one of those stretchy nylon Mico-esque canopies on, though, that's about the only improvement I'd want. Can you believe our floor model base actually expired? No other seat ever has that problem!

Rm2000hg

Why does your husband want an infant seat? Just wondering if there is a way to fill that requirement without an infant seat.

If wanting to put the seat on stroller for travel, what about the coccoro or orbit toddler seat that can go on stroller frames when traveling?

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
My husband loves having the Keyfit/Caddy frame for easy in and out trips. He takes him in to work and sometimes brings him to me at work and usually has more than just the diaper bag. It makes the handoff really easy. Orbit and Coccoro aren't options because of installation. If I get another infant seat I want to get one that has a Euro belt path for baseless installation (for travel) (eliminates Onboard).

bnsnyde

I'd bend over backwards to have an infant seat through winter.

My kids are all 90th or more for height. But they were in infant seats until well past 6 mos. Many fit at a year. Huh.
We had a Britax Companion, then Chaperone. Plenty of head room.

I guess I won't be getting a keyfit! Dad is 6'4" and baby boy due in April...I want an infant seat that will last as long as possible. I have to install it daily when my older kids are at school, and take a booster out. We have an Aton 2 but it's pink and I don't want to install or store the load leg in the car (too hard). Plus I didn't like how you have to line up the seat to click it in, too hard on back.

My 19 month-old is in the Orbit toddler and I have taken the whole seat into the house to finish her nap. It's like an infant seat in that regard. Heavy to do that, though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC