5-year-old need carseat on airplane?

wagonlover

We'll be traveling shortly. There are lots of parameters that I'll post in a separate thread. For now, just a quick question. Does a 5-year-old need a carseat on an airplane? DD is 5.5 yo, 40 lbs, about 42 inches. I think the answer is no from what I've been reading but wanted to check. Assume for now that we'll deal with the carseat on the ground as a separate issue.
Thank you in advance!

ADS

rachelandtyke

In and of itself, I would say, no, a typical 5 year old does not need a car seat on an airplane.

There are times I might choose it - need a carseat at destination and there isn't one there or a long flight where I'm hoping my child will sleep and think they'd do it better in their normal carseat, for example.

Dillipop

I agree with rachelandtyke. I've flown with a 5/6 year old without a carseat before. We took a harnessed seat for his 2-3 year old brother and used a ride safer travel vest at destination, as well as a high back booster that we purchased while there and left for our next trip.

A kid over 40 lbs, who can sit in the seat properly, should be fine in an airplane belt without a car seat.

I agree. 40 lbs is really the cutoff between safe ridership in an aircraft seat (as long as the child is able to keep from loosening and/or fiddling with the buckle on the seatbelt), and questionable safety without an additional restraint. If it's a long flight, I'd definitely recommend using the seat on the aircraft if she sleeps well in it. Otherwise, just do whatever works best for your family. She's big enough and old enough to be properly restrained by the aircraft seat.

Enjoy your flight! :)

(I was an airline pilot before becoming a full-time mom)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC