3 across in 2008 Subaru Legacy wagon

Brennan

We are expecting our third this summer and we are trying to figure out car seats. Currently we have dd who is 6 ff harnessed in a britax pioneer and ds who is 3 rfing in a sure ride 65 (I think? its an evanflo). Right now I'm thinking of getting 1 (or 2 if the sure ride is too wide) cleks (and the new infant thingy) and a hbb for dd. I have a couple of questions about that

1. Dd is tiny at only 37lbs. She will be about to turn 7 when the baby arrives. My husband is really concerned that even if she does make it to 40lbs she won't be big enough to really be safe in a hbb. She is small but she is built like a 6 year old with long limbs etc. We have really terrible roads here in the winter and lots of wildlife that likes to jump out at you, so he is quite concerned. I'm looking at the harmony dreamtime deluxe from walmart because it looks narrow. Thoughts on the seat? And being that she is I think probably old enough emotionally for a booster is the being small thing an issue? (eta legally she needs to be 40bls I mean more that we are switching her at the very moment we can kwim?)
2. We have no latch or tether in the centre seat (which is where dd would go) and ds would need to be ffing once the baby comes (he will be 4 by then and my husband is very tall). If my daughter does not reach 40 lbs by then any suggestions as to what to do? I guess baby can go in the middle? Would we need 3 cleks?
3. My sister has offered us her britax b-agile. I know you are not supposed to take used car seats but my sister and I are very close and if it was in an accident I would know. Would you take it? Also does anyone know if it puzzles well with the other car seats mentioned?

Sorry this has been so long winded! I hope I covered everything :)

ADS

SnoGurl

1. At 40lbs, I would be fine with switching to a hbb, assuming your daughter is mature enough to sit properly, and the it was good fit for her. However, it is often easier to buckle a harness in a tight three across then it is to buckle a seatbelt.

2. There should definitely be 3 top tether anchors in your car. I took a quick look in the owners manual for this car, and it looks like in the wagon, all three anchors are on the ceiling, so there should be no issue there.

3. The b-agile is the stroller... is it the b-safe? there's more to look for then just 'been in an accident'... have the cover/straps been washed as per manufacturers instructions (i.e. straps not submerged, no harsh chemicals), does the seat meet 2012 compliance standards?

After all that, i'm not familiar with your car, so can't give advice on a specific three-across for you. Do you have access to a BRU or somewhere else where you can try seats out? That's often the best way. You can also search the 'three-across' thread here to see if anyone else has had success in your car.

Brennan

Thanks so much! You are so right there are 3 tethers! I've owned this car for 6 years and I seriously had no idea?!?! Would it be best for dd 7 to go in the middle? I figured even in a harnessed seat she will have the easiest time climbing over seats and can almost buckle herself up now.

And also it is the b-safe which meets 2012 requirements. She has never washed the cover outside of spot cleans with just water (she is ridiculously clean and apparently makes ridiculously clean kids :))

I doesn't look like anyone has done a legacy before that I could find but although we are 5 hours from a bru we do plan on going to one before baby, I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Am I right that the harmony dreamtime is a narrow booster? Are there others in Canada that are quite narrow? We are also going to be looking at 3 across in harnesses, though a hbb is SO much cheaper (and when I need 3 new car seats well...)

Alison's Mom

Hi there,

If your 7yo doesn't reach 40 pounds by the time baby is born, you could consider the Clek as you mentioned, or a Diono Radian. Both are narrow harnessed seats, and could then be passed down to the baby once he/she outgrows your Britax B Safe. The defender may be available in Canada by springtime, so this could be another option for you. http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/defender-360-car-seat/6000189057048

Given what you said about 2012 compliance, only spot cleaning, and no accidents, I would also ask whether it's been checked as luggage on a plane, and if not, then I would be Ok taking your sister's seat.

The Harmony Dreamtime is a narrow booster, along with the Graco Turbobooster and Evenflo Amp.

When you try out seats in your car, I would try puzzling a Clek or Radian with your Sureride and B-Safe first to see if that works before buying another convertible. If you use seatbelt installation for all three seats, you can push the outboard seats a little further toward the door than you would be able to with UAS/LATCH, and therefore make a bit more room for the middle seat.

And yes, if 7yo can buckle herself, probably easiest to put her in the middle, although I would try different configurations to buy the least number / cheapest seats to get your 3 across.

This link is from the US so not all seats available here, but gives measurements and specs: https://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

And on this page, http://vicarseattechs.com/ click on 'our favourite seats', and it gives pros and cons of seats in different categories.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC