Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

What seats to fly with?

I am flying alone with my 2 (DS 4yo, DD 3yo) children soon. DS has a Britax Frontier 90 and DD has a choice of a Britax Marathon (my preferred seat) or Evenflo Symphony 65 (back up seat). I only intend to bring one seat on the plane since DS has the Cares Safety Harness. I have no choice but to bring the Frontier 90 on the trip since it's the only seat he currently fits in. Also, purchasing another seat is prohibitive and we will be renting a car since our destination is several hours from the airport. I'd love to bring both on the plane, but I don't think that I would fit sitting next to them, never mind carrying both onto the plane with all our stuff!

Since I'll have to gate check one seat, which one should I gate check and which one should I bring for DD? I'm tempted to bring the Frontier on the plane since both kids can fit in it (and hopefully keep it from getting destroyed in baggage) and gate check the Symphony since its not our favorite anyway.

Sorry for the long post. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: What seats to fly with?

I can't really help you make that choice, but make sure you protect your seat well, preferably with a sturdy box and padding as needed. About 2/3 of seats I see that were checked unprotected have damage. Have a backup plan. Any chance you could bring the Frontier and borrow a trusted seat from a friend on the other end? What plane will you be flying on? There is a chance both might be able to be installed and I'd getting them to the gate becomes the only problem, strapping them to a luggage cart ”nested” together might work.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar
    If you're going to drag both seats through the airport just to gate check one of them, I'd probably just bring both on the plane. You can leave one at the front while taking your kids and the other seat back, then go back for the second seat. Or it's possible someone move will offer to drag a seat onto the plane for you. I have the kids sit in the row behind where we are sitting while I install seats. That way, there is no place for them to disappear- the only exit is behind me at the front of the plane. I don't think you'll have a huge problem getting the seats to fit, as long as you have a row with arm rests that move. You may not have a ton of room for yourself though.

CCO 4/15