Replacing vehicle seatbelt w/non factory seatbelt??

2boys4me

Replacing vehicle seatbelt w/non factory seatbelt??

My problem is this: I have a 4 y/o and a 2 y/o, and one on the way in November. The 4 y/o sits well in a backless booster. The 2 y/o is still under 40 pounds, so is in FF 5 pt harness (FPSE). The baby will fit in the center seat because the base for the Graco Snugride is the only thing I have found that is compatible with the horrible lap belt that is there.

When baby grows out of the Snugride, we will have to find 3 seats that fit across the back. We have a 2000 Dodge Durango with a 40/20/40 split bench seat. We do have 3rd row, but I want to avoid using it if at all possible.

The problem isn't so much the width of the center section of seat, but rather the enormous lap belt contraption that is there. Forward facing car seats (that I have tried) cannot be put there because the stops at the beltpath of the carseat and cannot be fully tightened.

What I would like to do is put in an ALR type lapbelt, but I called them today, and Dodge doesn't have one for that position (according to the parts person I spoke with).

Is it safe and possible to have a non-factory seatbelt professionally installed there to replace the factory seatbelt? It would solve everything!

ADS
C

Caviller

I doubt you will be able to replace the seatbelts...

It is possible, but I do not know of a source. If you find something other than the manufacturer of the vehicle, please request the details of their crash testing.

Have you considered a Britax Laptop? This is a nice seat that works great with most lap belts, and fits kids 30-65 pounds. You can find a review of it in our reviews forum:

pub59.ezboard.com/fcarsaf...ID=3.topic

It retails around $50-$60 at The Right Start and other retail and online stores. It is being discontinued in August because it will not have the new LATCH anchors to conform to new government requirements. So, if you think this might work for you, consider buying one soon!

I don't know if it would work in the center of your Durango, but it may be worth a try since it will be less expensive than a new seatbelt install if you do find one.

Good luck!

Darren

2boys4me

Laptop

I would definitely consider the Laptop, but I tried one today and it seemed like it was too wide for the center seat. I was thinking the seat had to be completely within the seatbelt, not lapping over outside the natural path of the belt. With my FPSE installed in one ouboard position, I put the laptop in the center spot and it overlapped the other outboard seatbelt receiver by probably 4-6 inches...so probably too wide for that spot.

I'll gladly look at any pictures of Laptops installed in that position, and if it is a safe spot, I'll be happy to use one.

C

Caviller

You are probably right-

It sounds like the Laptop may be too wide. If you do buy it, it's definitely worth a visit for a free inspection, preferably if a tech or fitting station in your area has experience with the Laptop. You might need to ask for an instructor.

Perhaps a harness/vest from www.ezonpro.com ?

Darren

2boys4me

re: E-Z-On

I just found them yesterday, but would they work properly in the center seat that is also a folding armrest? I'm sure there would be LOTS of forward motion in a crash since the armrest is all that is there. Would that be safe?

Joni

C

Caviller

It is probably OK-

Only Evenflo has a restriction with folding armrests. Some EZON products do require a tether, though. Your best bet would be to call them and discuss the situation. Unfortunately, I have no practical experience with their products.

Good luck!

Darren

U

UlrikeDG

You just can't get the belt tight enough?

I'm not sure that I understand the problem. You can't get the belt tight enough, because something gets in the way? What exactly is causing the problem? Depending on exactly what's wrong, you may be able to work around it without buying a special product.

2boys4me

Pics of center seat...

www.cherawalumni.com/kids/carseat1.jpg
www.cherawalumni.com/kids/carseat2.jpg
www.cherawalumni.com/kids/carseat3.jpg

The first picture shows the female end of the buckle. It has alot of strap between it and the seat bight, but not enough to use a belt shortening clip, I don't believe. If you have any suggestions for shortening this, that may solve my problem.

The other two show my FPSE installed and why the long receiver section causes problems. In both pictures the seat is not tight enough and can be pulled straight out from the vehicle seat back at least 3 or 4 inches. Not tight by anyone's standards. A tether may help with the forward motion, but even at the base of the seat, I can pull it from side to side a good two inches. Again, obviously not tight enough.

Any ideas?

C

Caviller

It may well be incompatible-

I see you've already flipped the latchplate in the third picture, which would have been my next suggestion. It may well be that this seat and vehicle are not compatible. Without being able to see it in person, I don't have any other tips offhand.

Have you checked the "Compatibility" link under the banner at the top of the page? Maybe that will help you see what other parents have tried in the center of a Durango, and some have emails where you can contact them. Unfortunately, the person who runs the database noted that the center is indeed too narrow for most seats.

Also, please consider visiting a certified technician. You can find one at the "Free Carseat Inspection" link under the banner at the top of the page.

Please let us know if you do find an arrangement that works. Thanks!

Darren

2boys4me

Swapping the receivers...center for outboard and vice-versa?

I've heard that it is a no-no to use the outboard receivers for the center seat and vice-versa, but I'm not sure where...if it was a reliable source. If I could only use that outboard seatbelt receiver that is right next to it in the picture www.cherawalumni.com/kids/carseat3.jpg then I could easily get it tight enough, forward or rear facing. If I did this though, I would also have to use the center receiver for an outboard seat, so we'd just be switching them.

Honestly, I've done it before when we were on a road trip with 2 adult passengers and it was safest to put my 2 y/o in his 5pt harness there, but the whole time we were gone I wondered about it.

Joni

2boys4me

I'm "cheeriokid" at PP...I recognize your names. -

(This message was left blank)

C

Caviller

Well, I'm not sure I would recommend doing that, but...

You could make the 'tough choice' to do so if you feel it is better than any other possible alternative. I think you should definitely seek out a senior technician or instructor for some personal help in your situation. Advice from online only goes so far:)

Darren

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC