RF on a plane?

I tend to micro-manage and over-think things when it comes to travel, so I've asked this question in a variety of car seat-related places, and am still unsure of what my best option is.

We are flying to Florida at the end of January with DD. She will have just had her 1st birthday, and is currently 19-20lbs and around 30in. She will have her own ticketed seat.
The carseats we have available are:
- Diono Pacifica (with AA)
- Peg convertible
- TFP
- Embrace35

Here's a point-form run through of all the wonderful issues we are having with this:
- DD most likely won't gain 2lbs in the next 8 weeks in order to FF.
- We may be flying on an airline that charges exorbitant amounts for rolling carry-on bags, so attaching a seat to one is potentially out of the question
- DD is hovering around the headrest-required mark on her TFP, so it's not nearly as compact as I had hoped
- DD has probably outgrown the bucket. We haven't checked in a while, as we "retired" it months ago.
- We aren't planning on bringing a stroller, but we *could* bring our BabyJogger Vue if it makes carseat transport easier
- I'm pretty shy and non-confrontational, and would rather not bring a seat on board that potentially means I'll be booting a paying customer out of their bulkhead seat (do airlines do that? I know they have to make your carseat work to the best of their abilities)

This is all stressing me out like crazy - the ILs are the ones bringing us on vacation with them, and while they're happy to pay for a separate ticket for DD, they're getting a little bit annoyed with how "complicated" this is.
We're renting a minivan on the other end, but I'm not concerned with ease of install.

ADS

seb3244

If she fits in a bucket I would bring the bucket because then she won't be sitting on the buckle when you install in the airplane since they buckle in the center. I would also bring the bucket because then they can't argue w/ you that you should forward face. And I would for sure bring a stroller. If nothing else to load all your carry on's on it.

1mommy

Personally if she's over 1 I would FF on the plane even if she's not quite at the weight limit (only on plane, not in car) if she fits in the bucket bring that, if not, is the peg lighter then the TFP? Most airlines do not charge for strollers so if so bungy car seat to stroller -do you baby wear at all? You can wear her through airport to make your life easier. But that's just me and I'm not a CPST.

We do babywear, which is why we're probably not bringing a stroller. I think I've used ours twice! I'll test her out in the bucket this evening - I'm pretty sure it's outgrown though. I can see her undoing the seatbelt with the buckle in her lap like that on the plane, too.
I'm really hoping to avoid turning her FF - I've flown often, and the thing that convinced me to use carseats on planes is how many times I've been thrown forward into the seat in front of me and had to brace myself pretty hard on landing.

1mommy

Are you open to buying another seat? Either the combo cocccoro if you're ok w small seat more expensive and outgrown around 3 ish or Guide 65 cheap lightweight and long lasting but a pain to install rf. both SHOULD fit RF. If you want to RF print out copy of airlines policy and bring manual to say she's not at the weight limit so she can't be FF. I understand your reasons for wanting to RF but if you install her car seat ff I would think the 5 pt harness should give her more protection then the airline lap belt. Again just my opinion and I'm not a CPST.

Are you open to buying another seat? Either the combo cocccoro if you're ok w small seat more expensive and outgrown around 3 ish or Guide 65 cheap lightweight and long lasting but a pain to install rf. both SHOULD fit RF. If you want to RF print out copy of airlines policy and bring manual to say she's not at the weight limit so she can't be FF. I understand your reasons for wanting to RF but if you install her car seat ff I would think the 5 pt harness should give her more protection then the airline lap belt. Again just my opinion and I'm not a CPST.

We're Canadian, so unfortunately, the CCO isn't available. I'd really like to avoid buying another seat if possible.

MommaMia

What are you flying? We are sitting on the plane on our way home from a week in Disney. We flew here with our 3yo RFing in a Marathon. No one complained and the woman in front didn't even realize her seat did not recline

We're flying home with her FFing because she complained of leg pain when RFing. We only RFed her for the flight here because she kept kicking the woman's seat in front...

Anyway, no issues at all. Flight attendants advised me she needed a window seat and to have a great flight :)

What are you flying? We are sitting on the plane on our way home from a week in Disney. We flew here with our 3yo RFing in a Marathon. No one complained and the woman in front didn't even realize her seat did not recline

It's currently between Allegiant or Delta. If we do Delta, we will have a layover and have to switch planes.
FIL has some weird obsession with Allegiant, but I'm hoping to sway him towards Delta!

rachelandtyke

You can strap the seat to a luggage cart to get it through the airport if you don't want to bring a stroller.

If you are able to use the bucket, I've been able to cover the buckle with a blanket and then my babies have forgotten about it.

kathysr98

I would push for Allegiant due to not having a layover. The opportunity to be stuck in an airport not where you're from and not where you're going sucks, as does the higher potential for lost or misdirected luggage. Allegiant is also cheaper on checked luggage than other carriers in many cases, making up for the cost associated with carry on bags.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC