Need advice for travel with 4 and 7 yo

mrscakes

We'll be traveling to Mexico in a few months and I'm not sure what to do about carseats. Car trips will be to/from airport (~30 miles) and day trips within about an hour. I don't believe that we will be renting a car since transportation is available from the place we're staying (I'm not sure what type of vehicle yet).

4yo (will have *just* turned 4): currently ~40" tall and 40lbs, usually rides in a TrueFit or Frontier 85 in harness mode. I hate the idea of him in a booster, but under the circumstances I am considering it for the trip since lugging a carseat will be difficult and I have no idea what types of vehicles we may have to install in. Options that we already own are a Graco TurboBooster or Britax Parkway SGL (both HBB with option to detach back). Also considering buying a Ride Safer Vest but I'm not sure which would be the safest option.

7yo: currently 4'2" and ~55lbs, usually rides in a Graco TurboBooster or Britax Parkway SGL (HBB except for occasionally w/o the back for fieldtrips or carpool). He is very good at sitting properly in the booster. Considering buying a BubbleBum for the trip.

Thoughts?

ADS

gigi

There often aren't working seatbelts or any seatbelts. If there are seatbelts in the back they are often lap belts. I would bring a Maestro for the 4 year old and a backless for the 7 year old. If no good belts in back, put the 7 yo up front in the booster and the 4 year old in the maestro with the lap belt.

If you were going somewhere with reliable lap-shoulder seatbelt availability, I would say two boosters is OK but I would still reco the Maestro.

I am traveling to the UK soon with kids similar ages and I will bring a Maestro and a backless.

Keeyamah

I just got back from a trip to Cancun. Very few functioning seat belts, mostly lap belt only, assuming the whole thing was even actually there. I prayed a lot when we were driving somewhere (thankfully, only 4 rides) but I hated that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd bring some sort of convertible seat for the 4yo and a booster for the 7yo. The 4yo is technically big enough for a booster, I guess, but when driving outside the country you'll probably want to be more conservative about your child restraint decisions, rather than less.

We take ratchet straps (the type you use to attach a canoe or whatever to the top of a car) and Versa-Tethers on international trips. If you end up in a situation where you need to take a car trip and there is no seatbelt, between the strap and the tether you can often get a convertible seat decently installed (use whatever bolted seat posts you can find). Not everyone may agree with this advice, but I prefer it to having children unrestrained. It's hard to enjoy your trip with your head down at your knees in fervent prayer.

The BubbleBum is a great travel booster in that it rolls up super small. My 7yo carries it in his child-size rolling carry-on with all his clothes. It's kind of a pain to use (blows up easily but is harder to buckle) but if you're just using it for a few day trips, it'll be fine. If you'll be getting in and out of the car a lot, I'd consider bringing something easier to buckle (like the bottom half of one of your other boosters) instead.

When arranging for cars on the other end, do request seat belts, and be specific that you need lap/shoulder belts if they have any available.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC