Shortest depth high back booster

Dillipop

So normal parents look for high back boosters with lots if depth to support their kids thighs. Not me! I need to find a high back booster with the shortest depth possible for the back seat of my dad's 12 Chevy Colorado. Not head restraints, so high back needed. Average sized 8 year olds will use this seat. Seats both have latch.

Or, which boosters allow 20% overhang?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Clek Oobr is pretty shallow and doesn't require head support.

Wendy

This was my immediate thought as well. It actually has structural head support. I wouldn't use without LATCH but you have that so that's just about perfect. Only issue is that my tall torsoed children outgrew it pretty quickly, but if you don't have that issue it will likely be what you want.

Dillipop

Anything in the less expensive range? This is for my dad's truck. The kids 'might' ride in it once a month or less. How long is the oobr expiration?

Dillipop

Graco affix hangs over and doesn't allow it. Do any boosters allow overhang? Any shallow boosters that are cheaper than $100?

abigaylebelle

The cybex x-fix is shallow. It has latch. I don't think it allows overhang but it does go pretty upright.
My almost 8 year old has a lot of room left in it but I think the top guides are 19-20".

Dillipop

I'll try to post a pic later showing the overhang of the affix. The seat is pretty shallow. If graco allowed 20% overhang, it would work.

We have a probooster that I want to try. The only manual I can find online is for the performance booster / probooster XL. In there it says the booster has to make good contact or something's like that. Since it sits on those rails, maybe the rails will make enough contact.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Chances are that an average sized 8yo may 5 step in that back seat, so checking to see if the seat back is tall enough when they sit with no booster at all is a valid solution.

Dillipop

Chances are that an average sized 8yo may 5 step in that back seat, so checking to see if the seat back is tall enough when they sit with no booster at all is a valid solution.

Unfortunately, there is a window where a head restraint should be. My dad was so happy when he realized there were 2 seats back there and they had latch. Finally, he could take more than 1 kid at a time! Well, the seats suck.

The probooster was even more of a no go than the affix.

I have an oobr showing up on Friday.

MommyShannon

Our older F250 has a very shallow bench seat. I can fit a Vivo (if you can find one), Parkway (just barely), and TurboBooster. I haven't tried Clek ones.

safeinthecar

My 4 year old sitting on the seat is above the seatback unfortunately.

Oh wow. Must have the extended cab with the folding seats then. I was thinking you meant the next size up that has the bumps outboard that aren't really head restraints but are at least a bit taller than the middle. I didn't realize the extended cab had LATCH in the back.

Dillipop

Oh wow. Must have the extended cab with the folding seats then. I was thinking you meant the next size up that has the bumps outboard that aren't really head restraints but are at least a bit taller than the middle. I didn't realize the extended cab had LATCH in the back.
Yeah, it's the smallest if the cabs that have seats in the rear. They fold out. Full latch in the back. The front may have a tether, since the rear only has 2 seats. The tether routes through a loop and then into an anchor in between the 2 seats on the wall. If I can find something that works, and reading the oobr manual online I think it will, it'll be a huge improvement to the old truck my dad had that only had the side facing fold our seat. Dad was super disappointed to see that the front seat doesn't have an airbag switch like his old truck, which means he isn't comfortable driving with the 8 year olds up front.

safeinthecar

Hmmm, I bet the Recaro Start would fit. You can still get them (pretty cheap too) if you call them direct.

Dillipop

Not sure how well you can see with these pics. I was in the darkened garage with a phone. It hangs over about 2 ish inches but it is in solid. There is nothing mentioned about overhang in the manual. I think it will work perfectly. And I totally justified it since it will last until this unborn baby is almost 8.5. So it will be used in our car as primary when dd is boostered in a couple years and then handed down to unborn kiddo when he's ready for one. Plus I got a good deal on it- $225 shipped.

And that's with the front seat all the way back. Even my 300 lb, 6 ft 1 in father has to move the seat forward to drive, so there will be a bit more head excursion available. And we can always move the seat to the passenger side and move it up a bit if needed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC