When are you ok with turning FF?

lgenne

DS2 was born in March 2012. He still fits easily in a bunch of RF seats. He's in a Radian in the 2013 Ody, which is primarily driven by DH.

DS3 will start day care at the end of January. DH wants to turn DS2 FF at that point, take out a captain's chair, put the older 2 in the 3rd row, have the baby in the +1 seat, and have easy access to all 3 car seats from the "staging area", given that he's likely to be dealing with 3 kids, 2 of whom are WILD, and nasty weather fairly often. I certainly sympathize, but I wanted to get DS2 to at least his 3rd birthday RF, and preferably his 4th.

I'll keep him RF in the Mazda 5, given the side impact test results (I've got DS1 RF in the Mazda 5, and he's 5 now!) I'll be getting kids out from 3 separate doors, no way around it, so aside from messy shoes, RF is no less convenient than FF in my car.

Would you be ok turning a kid at not quite 3?

ADS

Dillipop

How about taking out the plus one seat instead? You can have one kid ffing driver side, one rfi passenger side in the third row. Then baby in whichever captains chair works best. From the center aisle, it should still be pretty easy to get to all the kids to buckle and dh can still have a staging area, even have a seat to sit in if he wants!

Eta- I was on track to rearface dd until 4. I switched her this summer at about 3 years 8 months when I was regularly getting between 5 and 7 kids in the van, 3 of which could share seas if they were all facing forward.

lgenne

DH is not small. Neither am I for that matter. He wants kids to be able to pile in and get to their seats. Our planned configuration also leaves a free captain's chair for a 3rd adult, lets me sit next to the baby if he's fussy, lets me pass out snacks to the 3rd row on road trips, etc.

The options right now are:

1) Current configuration minus a captain's chair. DS1 3rd row driver side, DS2 RF passenger side captain's chair, baby in +1.
2) Same as (1), but move DS2 to the 3rd row. He won't be able to see the TV, greater difficulty accessing his buckles.
3) same as (2), but FF DS2.

bnsnyde

We have a RF Radian in back so we've been lucky. I think my boys outgrew it around age 3. Certainly they had to go FF in the spare car at 2.5 because we didn't have any RF seats in there that fit them. They are tall and dad is 6'4".

None of our carseats are really easy access, but I do realize that's important.
There are 6 installed seats in the van so I have few options. I need the 3 bigs in the second row for carline, starting next school year.

So I have to shove babies/tots in over the third row seatback through the hatch. But once older kid is in school, I might install an infant seat daily and remove his booster daily. Crazy but otherwise I have to wake baby up every time we go in the car. Sometimes we have 4-5 trips a day of kid stuff. And the only way to get a nap for baby is in the carseat.

If you can't get something to work in a way that doesn't cause your DH to be majorly frustrated (which is not a good way to be operating a vehicle), then I'd turn him FF and not worry. He's very safe. I would just make sure to top tether and call it a day.

lgenne

If you can't get something to work in a way that doesn't cause your DH to be majorly frustrated (which is not a good way to be operating a vehicle), then I'd turn him FF and not worry. He's very safe. I would just make sure to top tether and call it a day.

No worries on the tethering. This scenario is what ruled out the 2013 Sienna for me when we were buying. :)

Assuming we turn him, then it becomes a question of what FF seat to get him, since my chunk of a newborn is going to outgrow his KF ridiculously early and I want to put him in the Radian as soon as he has decent head control.

Syllieann

DH is not small. Neither am I for that matter. He wants kids to be able to pile in and get to their seats. Our planned configuration also leaves a free captain's chair for a 3rd adult, lets me sit next to the baby if he's fussy, lets me pass out snacks to the 3rd row on road trips, etc.

The options right now are:

1) Current configuration minus a captain's chair. DS1 3rd row driver side, DS2 RF passenger side captain's chair, baby in +1.
2) Same as (1), but move DS2 to the 3rd row. He won't be able to see the TV, greater difficulty accessing his buckles.
3) same as (2), but FF DS2.

We use a different configuration for road trips than we do for daily use. I need to sit in back on road trips, but in the daily grind I am driving and am the only adult in the vehicle. Unless your road trips are every weekend, I would do option 1, then rearrange to option 2 for road trips. You would only need to move 1 seat to change between daily configuration and road trip configuration.

lgenne

I'll run that possibility past DH. I think he'd be ok with just about any road-trip-only configuration; it's the day-to-day that he's concerned about. I'm with him on road trips to help buckle kids. And he wants option 3 for day to day.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC