Car seat or plane seat?

swtfunangel

We are going on a 6 hour flight to Hawaii in a few weeks and I am trying to decide what to do about the car seat. DS is 6 but very small for his age and weighs less than 40lbs (about 35ish last check few weeks ago). He rides harnessed and has never been in a booster seat. Do you think he would be ok to use the seat belt on plane or should I install his car seat? I am also concerned about checking the seat and something happening to it en route. Any advice or experience is helpful, this is his first time on a plane and we are hoping to make it as smooth as possible.

Additional info:
*We will need the seat when we get there for the rental car (mini van)
*DS will probably sleep at some point on the plane
*Flying Hawaiian Airlines, not sure if it makes any difference
*Seats we have: Evenflo Sureride, Evenflo Triumph 65, Graco Nautilus and possibly a Scenera (will need to check expiration and if he can still fit in it)

ADS

T4K

We are doing the ATL to HNL flight in a week (10-11 hours) and I'm opting to take a Go travel seat and my new 4 year old will use the plane seat. We do this flight annually and she is usually in your car seat. At her request, this year she will be in the adult seat.

At 6, I would probably consider a booster. You can carry on the seat portion and check the back portion. If something happens to the back, you have the most important part with you, the bottom.

bubbaray

We fly Hawaiian from SEA to OGG. We take LBBs and gate check them. We could carry them on but don't bother. If something happened to the seats, we would just get new ones there.

swtfunangel

We will be doing quite a bit of driving on the island to different areas and I don't feel comfortable with him in a booster, he is too small and not mature enough yet. Plus we don't really have the money to buy a new seat right now.

Have you ever had any problems with gate checking? I'm thinking we might have to do that.

jordansmom

If you need the seat when you get there, then I would bring it with you on the plane and use there as well. At under 40 lbs the belt might not fit him well still and if you suspect he will sleep on the plane, he would probably be more comfortable in his own car seat. I also wouldn't risk checking it with baggage or at the gate and know I'd be a nervous wreck the whole time worrying about it. Just my two cents!

I'd say bring whichever seat is narrowest, and by all means use it on the plane. It's the safest and most comfortable option for a child under 40 lbs.

Strap it to a rolling carry-on beg to get it through the airport. Have a great trip!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC