Um, wow. (Michigan's new carseat law)

ADS

aept

Sort of a good step but not well-worded in my opinion. Both of my oldest children were over 30 lbs at twelve months. So they would have been legally required to be forward facing?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Re: Um, wow.

"Children under age 4 who weigh less than 30 pounds would be in rear-facing seats. Those between 30 and 50 pounds would be in a forward-facing safety seat. Children under 4 feet 9 inches would be in booster seats."

Yeah, it really does appear to disadvantage the 30lb under-2 year olds. And really, they probably should have just gone with 2, instead of 4, it might have had a better chance of passing. Also, 50 pounds is a nice harnessing goal, but there are just not enough seats with tall enough harnesses for many kids. (I'm writing this before the vote, assuming it won't pass).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There could also be much more detail to the proposed law than what is being reported.

I agree 4 has little chance of passing.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I applaud the effort to keep kids RF/harnessed/boostered longer, but this is poorly worded (I've seen the actual wording), not based on APP recommendations, and generally not thought through from a CPS perspective. The average kid hits 30 lbs at age 3, 50 lbs around age 7. Do they really expect parents to keep kids RF until 3 or longer, and harnessed until 6-7 or longer?

I'd love to see new laws requiring better bare minimums, but I don't think this law is what we need. I hope either they reword it or it doesn't pass (and this is MY state!). I have to wonder whether they even worked with someone from Safe Kids Michigan on this wording.

ETA: There should be no top weight limits. Per the current wording, kids over 30 lbs MUST be FF and kids over 50 lbs MUST be boostered. That's not necessary, since as we all know there are plenty of seats that accommodate RF above 30 lbs and harnessing above 50 lbs.

Last edited:

jacqui276

I don't like the wording. DS hit 30lbs at a year so by this, I would have to have had him ffing.. He also may hit 50lbs before I am happy having him in a booster as he is 43lbs and 2 years old right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katymyers

Um, wow.

Yeah, my friend's daughter hit 40 lbs at 19 months old and is now just turning three and already weighs 50 lbs... She's a smart girl and neurotypical but not ready for a booster by any stretch of the imagination. I'd much rather see age recommendations instead of weight. Of course, the other side of that is how do you tell parents that have a 40 lbs child at less than two that they have to buy a Radian or a Foonf to be following the law. Especially when so many of them are at a Scenera price point.

DogznKatz

Agreed it needs work, but it looks like the intent to go beyond minimum standards is there. That is exciting.

I hope the Michigan CPS professionals get in their 2 cents and make it the "go to" law in the US!

BookMama

Senior Community Member

They changed the wording today. Not sure exactly what it means - don't have time to look at it closely, and the "not more than" and "not less than" is very confusing. But it looks like kids would have to be in a booster until 57" or their 10th birthday. I like that a lot. :)

Here's the current wording:

(A) IF THE CHILD WEIGHS NOT MORE THAN 30 POUNDS OR IS LESS THAN 2 YEARS OF AGE, IN A REAR-FACING CHILD SEAT.
(B) IF THE CHILD WEIGHS NOT LESS THAN 30 POUNDS BUT LESS THAN 50 POUNDS, OR IS 2 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER BUT LESS THAN 5 YEARS OF AGE, IN A FORWARD-FACING CHILD SEAT.
(C) IF THE CHILD IS NOT MORE THAN 57 INCHES TALL AND WEIGHS 50 POUNDS OR MORE, OR IS 5 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER BUT LESS THAN 10 YEARS OF AGE, IN A BOOSTER SEAT.

Last edited:

BookMama

Senior Community Member

They changed the wording today. Not sure exactly what it means - don't have time to look at it closely, and the "not more than" and "not less than" is very confusing. But it looks like kids would have to be in a booster until 57" or their 10th birthday. I like that a lot. :)

Here's the current wording:

(A) IF THE CHILD WEIGHS NOT MORE THAN 30 POUNDS OR IS LESS THAN 2 YEARS OF AGE, IN A REAR-FACING CHILD SEAT.
(B) IF THE CHILD WEIGHS NOT LESS THAN 30 POUNDS BUT LESS THAN 50 POUNDS, OR IS 2 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER BUT LESS THAN 5 YEARS OF AGE, IN A FORWARD-FACING CHILD SEAT.
(C) IF THE CHILD IS NOT MORE THAN 57 INCHES TALL AND WEIGHS 50 POUNDS OR MORE, OR IS 5 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER BUT LESS THAN 10 YEARS OF AGE, IN A BOOSTER SEAT.

OK, I looked at this more closely (of course I had to). I believe the new wording, convoluted as it may be, means this:
- RF until 2 AND 30
- FF harness until 5 AND 50
- Booster until 10 AND 57"

I think that would give Michigan the best child passenger safety laws in the country, wouldn't it? :love:

BookMama

Senior Community Member

5 and 40 would be better. There's some 9 year olds that aren't 50 pounds.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the 50 lb. minimum for boostering, but other than that, I think the proposed law is beautiful (though, again, the actual wording is convoluted).

aept

I think it might still be telling me I have to forward-face my 38lb 3 year old.
But I agree it is better and like the RF until 2 aspect. I'm relieved to see it isn't telling people to automatically FF once they hit 30 lbs.
Of course there are still some children that will max out their 35-40lb RF weight limit seat before 2, and not be able to afford something different, but this version is getting better.

aept

Agreed the booster part is really good now. We could use that here in NY. Hardly any of my 8 year old son's friends are 57" but many are out of boosters because they are 8.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It looks like the 50lb minimum is only for,kids under 5. Once they turn 5, they move into the booster portion.

So ALL under-30lb kids *and* ALL under-2yos must RF.

Then they must FF until they hit 5y or 50lb.

Then booster til 10y or 4ft9.

Agreed that I dislike the fact that there is no allowance for staying in the more restrictive category. Then again, we have that here (it's booster at 4y) and it is interpreted as if it allows harnessing, too.

thekatie

5 and 40 would be better. There's some 9 year olds that aren't 50 pounds.
My future DIL :p She's 9 and not even 40 pounds yet. My 3 year old is only about 7 pounds behind her.

I can't lie. I get really, really, REALLY confused with the "not yet not nor unto wheras" blah blah that is legalese. To the point that the newer wording just doesn't even mean anything to me, and I would have to trust someone to interpret. This is why I took one course of law and said no way. BUT! Rear facing to 2, I like it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

They could easily fix the rf/ff thing by making the wording on the second part ”a five point harness child seat” rather than ” forward facing.” Although I suppose that excludes the kiddy.

There should also be a medical exemption with doctor's consultation if there isn't already (there are obese children who are over 50 before 2... There are kids with low weights and medical problems who need a ff sn seat...)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
It looks like the 50lb minimum is only for,kids under 5. Once they turn 5, they move into the booster portion
It says if the child is 30-50 lbs OR is age 2-5, they must be in a harness. So, a child must be 50 lbs AND over 50 lbs for neither of those things to be true.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
They could easily fix the rf/ff thing by making the wording on the second part ”a five point harness child seat” rather than ” forward facing.” Although I suppose that excludes the kiddy. There should also be a medical exemption with doctor's consultation if there isn't already (there are obese children who are over 50 before 2... There are kids with low weights and medical problems who need a ff sn seat...)
The document I linked to earlier has the usual exemptions for medical issues, size, etc. I'd link to it again here but I'm on my phone and it takes me forever to type a post even without including a link. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC