Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Kid banging head in car seat

Both my girls bang their heads in their car seats. They both sit on our couch and rock too. I think it's a sensory thing, although DD1 is neurotypical while DD2 is possibly autistic.
    It wasn't as big a deal when I had them in Britax RA50's but I got 2 Graco Headwise 70's last week. Now when they bang their heads I hear loud plastic creaking/cracking sounds. I'm kinda worried they'll break the head rest. I really like the seats and want to keep them. But I wonder if they'll hold up to the abuse my girls are giving them.
    I'm not worried about needing the extra height or weight of the Headwise, both girls are very tiny. DD1 is almost 4 and has probably a good 3-4 inches left in the RA50, she's 27lbs, DD2 is 22lbs and about 3-4 inches shorter than DD1.
    Mama to DS1 7-98 in a seatbelt, DS2 11-07 in an Affix and Turbobooster, DD1 12-10 RF in a Headwise, DD2 4-12 RF in a Headwise
    Loving wife to DH

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Re: Kid banging head in car seat

So does anybody think this would be an issue of them possibly (most likely DD2) breaking the seat by repeatedly slamming their heads backwards into the seat?
    Mama to DS1 7-98 in a seatbelt, DS2 11-07 in an Affix and Turbobooster, DD1 12-10 RF in a Headwise, DD2 4-12 RF in a Headwise
    Loving wife to DH

Have you called Graco to ask?
    Lourdes
    mom to Amanda Victoria 6 y/o in a Graco Turbobooster and Sofia Victoria 5 m/o in a Safety 1st On Board 35 Air

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar
    I would hope that a car seat meant to save a kids life is strong enough to handle a preschooler banging it...

CCO 4/15

How hard are they banging their heads? If it is quite hard, I would worry about damage (especially with creaking/cracking sounds). Sure car seats are meant to protect in an accident, but only once, then they should be replaced. If it is gentle banging with the rocking, I wouldn't worry about it as much. Have you checked the plastic and foam for any damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacqui - mom to: DS; 4.5yrs (50lbs, 46", Diono Radian RXT), DD; 12yrs (5'2, 5-stepping)

Senior Community Member

Sometimes it's gentle and sometimes it's really hard. Hard enough I feel my van shake when I'm stopped . I haven't had a chance to look at the seats under the covers. They've only ridden in them twice so far.
    Loving wife to DH