Kid banging head in car seat

purplemama

Both my girls bang their heads in their car seats. They both sit on our couch and rock too. I think it's a sensory thing, although DD1 is neurotypical while DD2 is possibly autistic.
It wasn't as big a deal when I had them in Britax RA50's but I got 2 Graco Headwise 70's last week. Now when they bang their heads I hear loud plastic creaking/cracking sounds. I'm kinda worried they'll break the head rest. I really like the seats and want to keep them. But I wonder if they'll hold up to the abuse my girls are giving them.
I'm not worried about needing the extra height or weight of the Headwise, both girls are very tiny. DD1 is almost 4 and has probably a good 3-4 inches left in the RA50, she's 27lbs, DD2 is 22lbs and about 3-4 inches shorter than DD1.

ADS

purplemama

So does anybody think this would be an issue of them possibly (most likely DD2) breaking the seat by repeatedly slamming their heads backwards into the seat?

Dillipop

I would hope that a car seat meant to save a kids life is strong enough to handle a preschooler banging it...

jacqui276

How hard are they banging their heads? If it is quite hard, I would worry about damage (especially with creaking/cracking sounds). Sure car seats are meant to protect in an accident, but only once, then they should be replaced. If it is gentle banging with the rocking, I wouldn't worry about it as much. Have you checked the plastic and foam for any damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

purplemama

Sometimes it's gentle and sometimes it's really hard. Hard enough I feel my van shake when I'm stopped :(. I haven't had a chance to look at the seats under the covers. They've only ridden in them twice so far.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC