Question Please help us get our kids safely in our car!

ryepie

So...we have a 9 year old son, he is 90 lbs and over 5 feet tall and just graduated to no car seat (he is quite happy!) on his birthday.

We have a 3.5 year old daughter, she is about 35+ lbs and is average height (somewhere over 3 feet...?). She is in a TrueFit which is great...but a BEAST! We recently turned her forward facing but am totally willing to turn her back to rear facing in a new carseat.

And we are expecting! Due in May.

We have a 2013 Toyota Matrix that I am doubting we can get the lease changed on to get a different vehicle. We are going to try but just in case...please help me find the carseats that are going to work best for our kids, and the safest place to put them! I know these seats are going to be expensive...probably Clek or Britax, but I also know it is worth it...and necessary if we want to let our 9 year old ride along with us anymore! hahaha.

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
ADS

bubbaray

Radian for 3yo and Keyfit for baby are the narrowest you will find up here. Not sure they will give a 90lb 9yo room to buckle tho. That will for sure be a tight fit.

ryepie

I would prefer the infant to be in a convertible seat...are there any options for that?
Couldn't I put both the newb and the almost 4 year old into radians side by side?

Our son was like 17lbs at 3 months...he was HUGE! I don't want to have to buy an infant seat and then switch it to another seat in 6 months. I don't feel the need for bucket seats personally, I would rather just get convertibles!

Last edited:

featherhead

I would prefer the infant to be in a convertible seat...are there any options for that? Couldn't I put both the newb and the almost 4 year old into radians side by side? Our son was like 17lbs at 3 months...he was HUGE! I don't want to have to buy an infant seat and then switch it to another seat in 6 months. I don't feel the need for bucket seats personally, I would rather just get convertibles!

You would need to first check if the Radian fits in your vehicle at an appropriate newborn angle. Depending on your vehicle seats, it may not install reclined enough, or you may not even have room. If it fits, I would put the 3 year old forward-facing on one side, baby rear-facing in the centre, and 9 year old on the other side. Another option to try would be a Radian for the 3 year old, and a Graco MyRide for the newborn in the centre. The MyRide sits up on a narrow base, so it makes buckling next to it easier. You would possibly need to put the 3 year old rear-facing in that scenario as the MyRide and Radian work well when they face the same direction.

bubbaray

It depends on how tall the parents are. The RN can't be used with the angle adjuster for newborns. So you need a fair bit of room. I'm pretty sure Toyota doesn't allow bracing on your front seats for a RFg seat either. It needs to completely not touch the front seat at all. And if your baby is smaller it might not be a safe fit anyways.

If you have a lot of years left before expiry on the existing RN, I would personally use an infant seat for the baby for as long as possible or at least until baby fits in the RN with the angle adjuster.

lgenne

You could also look at the Combi Coccoro for the baby. Super narrow convertible. Lasts longer than most infant seats, but not nearly as long as most convertibles. It would probably at least get you through your lease.

ryepie

If only there was an easy way to figure this puzzle out!!! Thanks for all the help :) The myride does RF for a long time so that is good. I think the Radians only RF to 45 lbs though and my daughter will probably be close to 40 at 4 years so I'm not sure it would bide us enough time.

amelia222

Clek is coming out with the "infant thingy" which makes the foonf and fllo useable for newborns. That might be a good option for the baby and should fit beside a radian for the 3yo.

bubbaray

Clek is coming out with the "infant thingy" which makes the foonf and fllo useable for newborns. That might be a good option for the baby and should fit beside a radian for the 3yo.

Would a 90lb 9yo fit in a matrix beside a Clek seat? That's the pickle in this puzzle IMO. It's not just the width at the base for install purposes but actual human being fit in that outboard seat.

Mary_Ann

Hi! We have a 2009 Matrix and I have been able to fit a couple of 3 across with 2 seats and an adult.

Driver/Middle/passenger

RF Britax B-safe/RF Radian with AA/adult

FF Radian, RF Radian with AA/ adult

RF Foonf / RF Radian with AA/AA

The seatbelt is not easy to buckle, but its doable. I'm only wondering about the belt fit for your oldest. In our car, the shoulder belt comes from a strange angle and it almost doesn't lay on my shoulder and I'm 5'5.

HTH!!

ETA: the radian doesn't fit at all without the AA

farrbabies

I would suggest a foonf with infant thingy for the newborn to be installed with seatbelt on the centre position. The rear facing wedge may puzzle better with the outboard positions. And depending how much time you have, I would try the new harmony defender outboard for the middle child. If I recall correctly the matrix doesn't have a centre vehicle headrest. Correct me if I'm wrong :). Also the usable space is limiting in the newer designs of the matrix. It's not worth changing your lease because I just went to Toyota recently and they are not as child (car seat) friendly with fixed non removable headrests and super curved seats oh and over lapping belts. You should be able to find something to work for you. :)

Mary_Ann

I would suggest a foonf with infant thingy for the newborn to be installed with seatbelt on the centre position. The rear facing wedge may puzzle better with the outboard positions. And depending how much time you have, I would try the new harmony defender outboard for the middle child. If I recall correctly the matrix doesn't have a centre vehicle headrest. Correct me if I'm wrong :). Also the usable space is limiting in the newer designs of the matrix. It's not worth changing your lease because I just went to Toyota recently and they are not as child (car seat) friendly with fixed non removable headrests and super curved seats oh and over lapping belts. You should be able to find something to work for you. :)

We don't have the Defender yet. The newer Matrix have center headrest, but they are rather short and shallow.

ryepie

Thanks everyone :)
I heard the infant thingy is coming out in January...is it going to be released in Canada also???

Sorry what is AA?
I'm not familiar with that abbreviation.

Seems like the Radian should fit with the clek though right. And hopefully the 9 year old fits next to that ;)
Should I just get 2 cleks?
what's the difference between fflo and foonf?

Mary_Ann

The AA is the Angle Adjuster, sold by Diono to be used with the Radian rear facing. It forces the radian to sit at a more upright angle.

The Fllo is cheaper, doesn't have rigid latch and doesn't have a huge base.

I'm not sure if the Foonf fits in the middle without covering the buckles of the outboard seatbelts. The infant thingy will be release in Canada.

2 Clek will be really expensive ($1000)... Maybe you could find a baby boutique that carry those seats and try them in your car?

bubbaray

You can't use an AA with a newborn. OP isn't due until May, word is the Defender will be here early 2015 I believe.

OP should definitely try before she buys. I don't know if any of these will work with a 90# 9yo in the 3rd seating position. It all really hinges on that IMO

ryepie

You can't use an AA with a newborn. OP isn't due until May, word is the Defender will be here early 2015 I believe.

OP should definitely try before she buys. I don't know if any of these will work with a 90# 9yo in the 3rd seating position. It all really hinges on that IMO

I noticed in your signature you have a a Rav4 ...how do you like it? How is the hip room? Easy enough to get 3 across??? We have been given the option to upgrade and will probably do that in April. Is that a good move???

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC