Purely for plane

Hazelandlucy

Which would you prefer forward facing. Guide 65, Onside Air, Evenflo Tribute, or Britax Roundabout.

Looking for easy install, use of tray table (if that's ever possible), least able to kick front seat, not going to have stuck buckles or buckles in the back.

Thank you!

If I am missing a light cheap cheap I am open to suggestions! Really don't mind how they install in a car.

ADS

Dillipop

Britax roundabout because there is a closed belt path and the buckle won't be in the child's back. Though, you may want to get a belt extender to make it easy to get the seat out at destination. Without extender, the buckle can get stuck.

Hazelandlucy

Can a kid kick the front seat in a Guide? Looks like it's only 14 inches long vs 22 of the Britax.

Do I need a buckle extender for the guide?

Last edited:
I can't help you re: the other seats, but the Roundabout is a very nice travel seat. You won't be able to use the tray table, though. I'd actually never thought about using seatbelt extenders with ours (!) -- Thanks, Dillipop! -- but she's right, unbuckling without them is a trick. You have to have small hands, and reach in there and turn the buckle 90 degrees and even then you'll just barely be able to unlatch it.

In order to use the tray table and minimize seat-kicking, you'd need a seat that rides super low, like a Radian. Which IMO is too pricey to be just a travel seat, and it's not a fun travel companion anyway because it is so darn heavy. It's only worth traveling with this one if you don't mind the price and have a way to strap it to your bags. Don't even try wearing it on your back. Easy to install on a plane but it often puts the buckle in the small of a child's back.

If you can get a bulkhead seat, that'll solve the seat-kicking problem. Also, if the flight is not full, you can ask the gate agent to reseat you so the carseat will be behind an empty seat.

I did buy a "Taby tray" before a very long set of flights, for inflight use with a 2yo in a Roundabout. Not worth wasting your money on this; it's bulky and ended up just being in the way. If it's really a long flight and your child likes to color, you might look into a small lap desk or pilot's kneeboard or something.

pooh136

If using the tray table is important to you, then the Evenflo Maestro might be a good lower cost option for you. They can often be found for around $70 on sale.

SammyStamper

Another board I frequent just about traveling with kids recommends the Guide 65 as you can use the tray table. You need a seat that does sit up high on a base. I took our Peg Convertible earlier this year and it installed easily enough but there was no way you could use the tray table and it put my sons feet right on the seat in front of us. I'm going to purchase the Guide for our next trip.

Dillipop

While the radian puts the buckle in the child's back, there is a piece if plastic on the back of the cover- at least there was on mine from 2006- that makes it so the buckle isn't bothersome. My kids have never had an issue with the buckle and we've flown cross country at least 4 different times with the seat and different kids. It's so nice to be able to install the seat quickly, be able to use the gray table, and carrying it down the aisle is a breeze when folded. While heavy, I didn't have to hold it over my head like bulkier seats we've traveled with while going down the aisle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC