Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Car advice please

So we're looking into getting a new car. Currently in my old 05 corolla. We have dd 4.5 in a britax frontier 90 and will have a new little one in a keyfit and then a marathon or radian rf in a few months.

Looking for a midsize suv with 3 rows. Are there any that would be able to accommodate a ff and rf seat in the back row?

I'm interested in a pathfinder or rogue, Santa Fe, highlander, pilot, outlander, journey, Sorento or cx9. I'm sure the pilot would work but not sure I wanna go that big.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: Car advice please

I think pretty much any vehicle can fit two car seats in a 3-seat row. Are you looking for a 3-row SUV that has two seating positions in the third row and can handle two car seats back there? If so, you'll want to make sure that you have at least one top tether anchor back there for the FF seat. What are the other factors in your vehicle decision?

Two of our friends have 7-passenger Sorentos and like them. I'm not sure offhand where the top tether anchors are located.

Sorry I'm not more help!
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

I would mainly have the kids in the 2nd row but would like the option of being able to put them in the 3rd row on occasion

I have a 3 row journey and it has no top tethers in the 3rd row for ffing, and no rfing seat I've tried fits back there, it does easily do 3 across though
    T - Mar/2012- 45lbs 42" FFing in a Pioneer
    A Dec/2015 Keyfit 30

Quote Originally Posted by biddyk8 View Post
    I have a 3 row journey and it has no top tethers in the 3rd row for ffing, and no rfing seat I've tried fits back there, it does easily do 3 across though
    I have a journey as well (2013) with the third row and I was almost able to get a rfing radian with angle adjuster in the back but needed just another inch at most to make it work. Maybe something shorter would work. It doesn't have top tethers so ffing seats are a no go. It has nice tall head rests though so is great for booster riders.

Jacqui - mom to: DS; 4.5yrs (50lbs, 46", Diono Radian RXT), DD; 12yrs (5'2, 5-stepping)

Quote Originally Posted by jacqui276 View Post

I have a journey as well (2013) with the third row and I was almost able to get a rfing radian with angle adjuster in the back but needed just another inch at most to make it work. Maybe something shorter would work. It doesn't have top tethers so ffing seats are a no go. It has nice tall head rests though so is great for booster riders.
    Yep I've tried a tribute, sure ride and mico. The tribute and sure ride were both so close but not quite right. If you took the middle row head rest off it works but, if you need them in third row, you probably need that position so it rules it out
    A Dec/2015 Keyfit 30

Quote Originally Posted by biddyk8 View Post
    Yep I've tried a tribute, sure ride and mico. The tribute and sure ride were both so close but not quite right. If you took the middle row head rest off it works but, if you need them in third row, you probably need that position so it rules it out
    My middle row head rests don't come off and according to my manual need to be removed by a dealer which makes that a bit of a hassle as well. I tried to remove it for installing ffing seats because they angle forward making it harder to get a good install with no luck so looked through my car manual and they are permanently in there apparently.

Jacqui - mom to: DS; 4.5yrs (50lbs, 46", Diono Radian RXT), DD; 12yrs (5'2, 5-stepping)

Quote Originally Posted by jacqui276 View Post

My middle row head rests don't come off and according to my manual need to be removed by a dealer which makes that a bit of a hassle as well. I tried to remove it for installing ffing seats because they angle forward making it harder to get a good install with no luck so looked through my car manual and they are permanently in there apparently.
    Oh they must have changed that, I have an 09 and I have the head rest off one side so dd has a better view out the rear window.
    A Dec/2015 Keyfit 30

Senior Community Member Keeks64's Avatar
    2011 and newer journey's have none removable head restraints :/ they are weird & almost curved & angle forward - total PITA for some seats FF in the 2nd row

I had a 2009 7 passenger & hated it! Nothing fit in the 3rd row .... not adults not car seats & my 8 year old nephew & 11 year old niece barely did ... Booster fit can be tricky with the shallow depth of the 3rd row.

I traded my 09' for a 5 passenger 12' & I don't mind the gas mileage but it's getting traded soon because I don't love it .... It's roomy but the lack of 3 across abilities sucks

R: 09/2008, 40lbs & 44"
    D: 07/2012 27lbs & 33"

I have a 2013 Dodge Journey and I have pulled the headrests from the outboard seats in the 2nd row.

Des - Mama to:
    Paige - 66lbs, 9 yrs old - Purple Diono Monterey and Pink TurboBooster, Mikaylah - 55lbs, 7 yrs old - Pink Diono Monterey & Rainbow Butterfly TurboBooster, Kiara - 37lbs, 3 years old! - FF Monet True Fit and RF Flora Radian XTSL

CPS Technician

This might be helpful - it includes minivans and SUVs: http://thecarseatlady.com/latch3rowvehicle/
    Tech and mom to:
    8yr old in a HBTB with SS, and 9yr old in a NB TB in an 07 CRV

The pathfinder is a real catch if you are needing 3rd row access.

I know that the 2011+ Explorer has 2 full sets of LATCH in the 3rd row.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

does a rf seat fit in the back of the pathfinder?

The seats in second row can move forward.