Question when did they start putting expirations on seats?

vmmatula

when did they start putting expirations on child restraints?

I want to address this with someone selling "one that pulls over you old school one but still nice" on FB... she said, "it is older; it doesn't have an expiration date on it its before they started doing all that" so before I offer her the $5 she's asking for just so she doesn't sell to someone who'd actually use it, I wanted to be able to have a general idea of how old that really is...

thanks!

ADS

littleangelfire

My guess is that it had one, on a sticker, that has rubbed off. Or it may only have date of manufacture on it and you'd need the manual to know how many years after you have until it expires, often 6 years. If you post a link we can likely tell you what it is

vmmatula

actually, I wasn't going to say much about the particular seat she posted (its a closed group. no pic)I just wanted to point out to her that if, in fact, it was manufactured before expiration dates were mandatory on seats, it was at least xx yrs old and should without question be thrown away. I will make a similar comment even if I don't find out when dates were first put on seats but I wasjust curious if anyone could tell me when that procedure became commonplace.

thanks though.

Dillipop

Britax had only ever put manufacture dates on their seats- at least this was true up to a couple years ago. I know graco and evenflo stamp expiration dates on theirs but many other seats just use manufacture dates.

mom of six

I think it was in the late 1990's. I have been a car seat geek for a long time and I did not learn about expiation dates stamped on car seats until I bought my daughter's first car seat. A SnugRide 20 manufactured in 1999.

vmmatula

Thanks all...very helpful and gives me info to back up my general thought that if overhead shield(except in that one case) its expired. if no date on the seat, its expired...if all else fails i'll buy it to throw it away for her-yikes!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC