Flying with kids

MommaMia

Flying in a week - children are 3y 1.5m and 4y 11m. Would you take a car seat on the plan for either of them? Seat is not needed at the destination (Disney).

ADS

1mommy

Flying in a week - children are 3y 1.5m and 4y 11m. Would you take a car seat on the plan for either of them? Seat is not needed at the destination (Disney).

Depends on the kids, what is weight/height? The airplane seatbelt will supposedly not fit well for kids under 40 pounds or super skinny kids in general. Also do they need the restraint? Will they stay in their seats and not unbuckle themselves to run up and down the aisle? For the entire flight? Will they listen to direction about not kicking the seat in front of them?

If the answer is yes I would not bother to bring seats, depending on how long of a flight it is and how you think they will fit in the seatbelt.

MommaMia

Depends on the kids, what is weight/height? The airplane seatbelt will supposedly not fit well for kids under 40 pounds or super skinny kids in general. Also do they need the restraint? Will they stay in their seats and not unbuckle themselves to run up and down the aisle? For the entire flight? Will they listen to direction about not kicking the seat in front of them?

If the answer is yes I would not bother to bring seats, depending on how long of a flight it is and how you think they will fit in the seatbelt.

Flight is 2 hrs.

Kids are 32#/38" (3yr) and 40#/43" (4yr). I completely trust my older to sit still and with minimal reminders. She rode on a train earlier this year and did wonderfully.

As for the younger - sitting still... that was kind of my reason for thinking we'd need the seat. If she is in a good mood, she will do great. But, she could also be a handful. And since she hasn't learned how to unbuckle the seat, I would restrain her and not worry as much.

I was leaning toward bringing a seat for the younger but not the older.

Thanks!

cantabdad

Just personal preference, but based on the situation as you've described, I would most likely bring a lightweight / easy-to-install harnessed carseat for the younger child.

FAA's benchmark for using the aircraft seatbelt (no carseat) is 40 lbs. While there is a pretty good chance that the seatbelt will still provide a decent fit for your younger one, the carseat will be more familiar and hopefully ward off any behavior issues with unbuckling, etc. I think that will make for a smoother flight for everyone involved. (Carrying carseats through the airport is a little bit of a drag, but I have never complained about it and honestly think it is not as bad as people might expect.)

Also, I know you don't need carseats for Disney, but if you bring a backless booster for the older child too (lightweight and can be brought onboard as a carry-on/personal item), then you will all be covered. That will give you much more flexibility in case there is some unexpected event.... for example if you need to take a taxi off-property, or your return flight is diverted to another airport or there is some other transport snafu. I realize that those scenarios are unlikely, so this is clearly not necessary, but it is always nice to have more options.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC