Holy Rebound, Batman!!

southpawboston

look at this crash video of a mazda5 by euroNCAP:

mazda5 frontal offset

pay close attention to the last sequence, keeping your eye toward the bottom. the Britax-Römer Baby-Safe infant carseat rebounds *completely*. i mean, this thing goes right into the back of the vehicle seat.

this is an ISOFIX seat with anti-rebound mechanism. link to pic. so how could this seat rebound so much when it has the anti-rebound bar?

ADS

katiesmommy

wow, the anti-rebound foot did basically nothing. I guess that solidifies that the anti-rebound is not going to come into play when/if I shop of an infant seat.

Wineaux

OK, I watched that, and the final clip showing the car seat doesn't show the seat rebounding into the front seat. The dummy's feet ALMOST hit the back the front seat, but don't actually touch it. What I did see was the back of the seat that the car seat was attached to did its dead level best to fold flat, and was the visible reason that the car seat moved forward as far as it did. I'm not concerned about the anti-rebound bar, but I can tell you that I won't be buying a Mazda 5 after seeing that video.

crunchierthanthou

Are we certain it's installed with the base? Is there any way to use it without it?

It's hard to tell in the frontal video, but I think it might not be. Watch the side impact test. I don't see the anti-rebound foot or anything under the infant seat.

Also, I want side curtain airbags after watching the pole test. ouch!

heyruthie

OK, I watched that, and the final clip showing the car seat doesn't show the seat rebounding into the front seat. The dummy's feet ALMOST hit the back the front seat, but don't actually touch it. What I did see was the back of the seat that the car seat was attached to did its dead level best to fold flat, and was the visible reason that the car seat moved forward as far as it did. I'm not concerned about the anti-rebound bar, but I can tell you that I won't be buying a Mazda 5 after seeing that video.

I think you're looking at the wrong carseat. He's looking at the rear facing infant bucket in the foreground.

Look at the same infant bucket in the side impact video! I think it's about to literally FALL OFF the seat completely at the end of the video!

Side Impact Video--watch the infant seat at the end!

ETA: Sorry! Cross-posted with crunchierthanthou....

crunchierthanthou

If it's the Römer Baby-Safe or Baby-Safe Plus, it does NOT have ISOFIX or an anti-rebound base. Only the Römer Baby-Safe ISOFIX Plus has that. It doesn't look like the ISOFIX version in the photos.

there we go. it's not on a base at all. The seatbelt can be seen over the infant's legs. Note the location of the pink and blue stickers and lack of foot prop.

thumb__450x350.jpg

200731028g.gif

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Are we certain it's installed with the base? Is there any way to use it without it?

Yes, the seat can be used without the base. From the still, it is clear that the seat is either the ISOFIX seat without the base (i.e., no anti-rebound) or one of the non-ISOFIX versions (i.e., no anti-rebound). You can also see the installation instructions on the side of the seat in the large version of the photo. It doesn't show a base, so I'm leaning toward it just being the non-ISOFIX version.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Don't mind me. I'm just replying to you while you reply to me elsewhere on the thread. ;)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Look at the same infant bucket in the side impact video! I think it's about to literally FALL OFF the seat completely at the end of the video!

Side Impact Video--watch the infant seat at the end!

When the NHTSA posted videos of side impact crash tests that they performed on infant carriers after the big CR fiasco this past May, pretty much all of them behaved this way. I believe someone mentioned it being partially due to the way a vehicle seat cushion compresses. I'll have to see if I can find the link to those crash tests. They were quite something to watch.

eta: Here's the link to the thread, the link to the videos is in the first post: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=10549&highlight=NHTSA+crash+infant

southpawboston

okay, i guess it wasn't clear to me how the seat was installed. euroNCAP makes a huge deal about ISOFIX and they penalize cars in their ratings when they don't have them clearly marked, and they rant and rave about ISOFIX so much that i assumed they were using the base. why wouldn't they?

at any rate, it's a good example of rebounding!

I'm not concerned about the anti-rebound bar, but I can tell you that I won't be buying a Mazda 5 after seeing that video.

you should watch other crash videos for comparison. this car got top ratings. it is one of few vehicles tested by euroNCAP that gets the full 5 stars. their offset frontal impact is performed at 40 mph... pretty harsh.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Wineaux, have you seen some of the crash test videos of Chinese-made cars up on youtube? Now those are what I call scary. :eek: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JFr5BXLRw_E
http://youtube.com/watch?v=F06LjugtIUo

Back on the topic of rebounding infant seats, it would be really interesting to see a crash test of the model in the OP side by side with the ISOFIX version installed using the base and anti-rebound bar.

OK. . . . hmmm... WOW! That is super scary. I will NOT be riding in the front seat of any taxis in China when we travel to adopt our son. Maybe we will just walk everywhere haha.
Renee

chickenman

the part that i found intresting was that the handle was in the upright position and prevented the infant seat from hitting the top of the seat it was connected to. where not every us manufactor allows for the handle to be upright, only graco and possibly maxi cosi allow i will have to check there manuals again, but britax and peg perego do not allow it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC