Coccoro as "infant seat"?

aept

I am considering a CCO for baby #4. I was originally thinking I would want a narrowish infant bucket with a handle and one base. The base would go in the van where the baby would usually ride. If I needed to take the baby in the Prius I would move one of my older kids' nbb's and install the infant seat baseless there.

But I do often babywear instead of keeping the baby in the bucket, and I think I would get longer use out of a CCO. I switched my previous babies to a convertible around 3-4 months (they were big and the infant seat we had only went to 22lbs.) Plus the lack of a handle on the CCO would probably help out in the three-across or for more versatility in different arrangements in the van.

So, I'm wondering how easy is the CCO to use as an "infant seat" in which it might be uninstalled and installed somewhat frequently (probably 2-3 times a week?) is it possible to install/uninstall with the baby already buckled-in (like if they fell asleep?)

Also, what are the "click-in" stroller options for a CCO, if any?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Good to know! I saw several sites have the Flash in stock, but if it fits into the Baby Trend, that's even better (you're more likely to find a good deal on a product that's still being manufactured).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It's possible to use the Coccoro as an infant seat, but not nearly as convenient.

I mostly baby-wore when I had mine, and I only removed the seat from the car with Baby inside a few times, and, if I'm being honest...it was only because I had a Flash and wanted to get some use out of it :eek:

You can install with a baby in it, but I imagine things like freezing weather and a cranky, flailing kid (neither of which I experienced the few times I did it) would make it a lot less fun.

aept

Hmm. Decisions, decisions.
I had a feeling the CCO might not be super convenient with the uninstall/reinstall but I can't yet decide if that trade-off is worth the possible longevity over a bucket. And there are so many bigger buckets now compared to what we had for the older ones. I do have a bunch of seats (two old Radians and two HBBs) expiring in 2016, and I don't tend to have tiny children, so I don't expect the CCO would be our "last" RF seat either. Well, maybe. We do still have the Radian RXT - just depends how many RF seats we need for how many vehicles.

teekadog

It was our only seat for the first two years with my youngest. Granted I have never used an infant seat with base. I only took the seat out of the car to carry a sleeping baby inside or put the seat in a different car. It was not hard to move from vehicle to vehicle if I could get good installs. But I never really found the coccoro easy to install... I think that's just me, though.

bnsnyde

I think I responded before but I plan on the Coccoro for baby #6.
I need 3 in a row and something easy to put a baby in over third row seatback. Totally a crazy situation but there is no other access to that row.

I would never uninstall.

But during the day I think I might put in an infant seat second row if I remove a booster.

Dillipop

We are using a coccoro and a nextfit for baby #4. I can't imagine ever removing the CCO but just in case I do, I am going to try hard to get it in my van, which is my daily driver.

That is, unless combi gets harnesses in stock for the shuttle. Then I might use that for the first bit, especially for preschool drop off and pick up the last 2 months of school.

aept

I liked the possibility of the combi shuttle but does it still have to be used with a base (not installed baseless) at 22lbs and up? If so, that limits my useability/switch-ability between vehicles. (That concept seems weird to me. If anything wouldn't a baseless install be more secure?)

Dillipop

I liked the possibility of the combi shuttle but does it still have to be used with a base (not installed baseless) at 22lbs and up? If so, that limits my useability/switch-ability between vehicles. (That concept seems weird to me. If anything wouldn't a baseless install be more secure?)

It does require a base after 22 lbs. the only reason we'd consider using it would be because I have our old one in the garage with 2 years left on it. Unfortunately, when I lent it to my friend, she threw the straps in the washing machine because her kid was a refluxer. I may have cried when I asked her about it and that was her reply.

aept

Aw, man. What a bummer! And you can't even get straps for it right now? Hopefully soon.
Otherwise how did you like the seat? Is it like a CCO with a handle?

littleangelfire

We've used a CCO from birth. But I knew I didn't want an infant seat. Only time I've missed it is when shopping needing to try stuff on but I've found ways to make it work. I think the install is a pain in the butt and I don't move our two unless I have to. Only easy install IMO is LATCH.

lpperry

I have used CCO from birth with 3 of my 4 children. I love it! I find it really easy to install, but I would not want to mess with installing any seat 2-3 times a week.

I would either buy 2 or go with the infant seat. I think it would be pretty awkward taking the seat out of the car with the baby still in it.

I might have my extra CCO for sale soon on the swap page.

Dillipop

Aw, man. What a bummer! And you can't even get straps for it right now? Hopefully soon. Otherwise how did you like the seat? Is it like a CCO with a handle?

Iiked it pretty well but didn't start using it until dd had outgrown the britax companion we had and I needed a seat that would fit where it was in our elantra. I couldn't get a good install with the coccoro in the spot it needed to be in and the shuttle was narrow enough to fit. I think dd outgrew both seats at about the same time and we ended up leaving the shuttle in the car most of the time. The shuttle did not fit our snap and go or our umbrella stroller with the adapters which was a pain. I'm sure it fits on something, just not what I had.

aept

Yeah, I think maybe an actual infant seat just makes more sense for us even though part of me has always wanted a CCO and this would probably really be my only chance! ;)
I won't buy two CCOs because I won't have a seat "permanently" installed for the baby in our other vehicle. It makes more sense to have seats for the oldest 3 in the Prius (what my hubby usually drives) - he does a lot of running the older two kids - booster riders - to their evening/weekend activities. My 3 year old has a radian in his car and I'd rather not move that around, either! I usually drive a minivan that can seat all the kids.
DH does ride his bicycle to work a couple of times a week and then the Prius is available for my use. I do like to drive it and it's more efficient than my van so I would maybe use it up to two times per week to drive around the younger two while the older two are at school. It would be (theoretically-haven't tried!) pretty easy to toss a no back booster in the trunk and install an infant seat baseless in it's place.
Or ditto if DH needs to take the baby and any other one or two children somewhere (although the baby usually sticks with me like glue.)

henrietta

If you are planning on uninstalling it several times a week, then no, I wouldn't even consider it. I have a love/hate relationship with mine. If I'd had lots of options that worked last year with buckles I really loved (like I love the CCO's), I wouldn't have had it on my short list. My dd turned one a few days ago and came home from the hospital at 6 lbs in it. It's the only car seat she's ever ridden in. I like lots of things about. 3 across was why we chose one, plus the low minimum weight since I usually have premature babies.

But to move back and forth...it can be a fickle seat to install and that would be big PITA to me. Yes, it's lightweight and smallish...but if you want ease of use for installing over and over, a Graco Size 4 Me may be easier.

GL and congrats!!!

fogdog

We used our Peg Perego Si stroller with the Coccoro strapped in on top when we traveled. It's officially only meant to be done with a Peg seat, but the Coccoro plopped right in and fit tight, even without the straps. I also put it on top of our Phil and Teds once in a pinch. Since it is small, lightweight, and bucket-shaped, it should fit pretty well on most strollers with a belly bar and a reclining seat (though you'd need to test it out and be comfortable with off-label use).

As for the install, I find ours really difficult to install tightly and really don't like to remove it once it's in. The curved bottom makes it tough to get a good "grip", if that makes sense. But yes, you could definitely do it with baby inside, especially if you lengthen the strap and leave the latches dangling on either side. More than the install, though, since it's such a deep bucket seat, I find it really hard to get the kids in and out of the seat, especially in the rear-facing position, and I'm about to give up on ours. It's almost out grown RF anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC