Choosing an infant seat and stroller

boscopup

We got a bit of a surprise this summer, and baby #4 is due early next year. :D I don't have any baby stuff leftover from previous kids, so time to shop for car seat and stroller.

This is our LAST baby (I said that about the last one :spit:). I don't have any tricky configuration needs. I have 3 other kids who will be almost 6, 8, and almost 11 by time baby is born. I drive a an '08 Honda Odyssey and plan to put the middle two kids in the back row and the 11 year old in one captain's chair and the baby in the other captain's chair. So easy peasy.

I just can't decide on an infant seat! I do babywear, so a lot of times the seat will stay in the car, but this is a winter baby, and I like having an infant seat for winter - buckle them inside, toss a blanket over them, make a run for the car. Also, for the newborn stage, it's nice to use the infant seat when we go inside restaurants (DH carries it ;) ), and we usually go to a restaurant once a week. I basically need an infant seat for about the first 6 months (until baby can sit up in a booster we bring with us to restaurants), so longevity isn't a huge deal. I don't need it to last 2 years or anything. I have two convertibles I can use after that point (a Radian 65 and a Safety 1st Complete Air) that are both only a couple years old.

Another thing to consider about the infant seat is that I am having a pregnancy complication that increases the risk of having a preterm baby, so I'd like a seat that handles 4lb infants, just in case. I've had a preemie come home at 4 lbs 10 oz before. Hopefully this one will cook longer than that, but you never know.

Also, I will sometimes need a stroller that I can put the carseat in. Again, I mostly babywear, so I don't use a stroller very often and don't want to spend $$$ on one, but there are times when wearing the baby won't be convenient (like if I need to help a kid get dressed for hockey, or if I want to go clothes shopping for myself :D). I'm wanting something lightweight that doesn't take up half my trunk. And again, it isn't going to be used daily or anything. I'm tall, so adjustable handle height would be a plus. My last stroller ($40 cheapy from Target that didn't take a car seat) was a little on the short side but otherwise worked fine.

And bonus points if there is a cute girly print involved, since I've had 3 boys and am expecting a girl this time. :love: But that's not an absolute requirement. :)

Price point... I'd prefer under $300 for car seat and stroller combined. Even that is painful to spend on something I might not use THAT much, though it's also not a hard limit. The stroller would be used some as the kid grows, but still not every day. It's often easier to toss kid on my back than to push around a stroller. Definitely no need for a $400-600 stroller here.

Recommendations? :)

ADS

rachelandtyke

For our surprise #3, I got a Chicco Keyfit 30 and a Chicco Keyfit Caddy to start with. I loved how small the footprint of the stroller was and how easy it was to turn. We ended up using the Keyfit 30 until she was 18months old because I liked it so much, even though I had other seats waiting for her.

When I stopped using the Caddy, I got a Chicco Echo at Target for light use. I have been happy with that as well.

I found deals on everything, so didn't pay full price.

Keeyamah

You could also look at the Urbini from Walmart, only about $200 for seat and stroller together. The seat is very very similar to the Safety First Onboard. Of course, the Onboard is another good one to look at.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I love the stroller frames for those infrequent times in which I'd snap an infant seat into a stroller.

Then, I'd get a great everyday stroller for use when baby is just riding. :)

However, I also DO love strollers such as the Baby Jogger Citi Mini, many of which have the option of a carseat bar.

My favorite infant seats include the Chicco KeyFit, Safety First OnBoard Air, Graco Snugride 35, Britax BSafe, and the Cybex Aton.

katymyers

For our surprise #3, I got a Chicco Keyfit 30 and a Chicco Keyfit Caddy to start with. I loved how small the footprint of the stroller was and how easy it was to turn. We ended up using the Keyfit 30 until she was 18months old because I liked it so much, even though I had other seats waiting for her.

When I stopped using the Caddy, I got a Chicco Echo at Target for light use. I have been happy with that as well.

I found deals on everything, so didn't pay full price.

I agree with this recommendation. You could even get a Chicco Liteway Plus and use it as a travel system, then you have one less thing to buy but basically the same end result. Personally, I don't love the Keyfit but it is a great seat. It was my second runner up for Aubrei.

aporthole

I super duper love the Chicco KeyFit. We've made it through 2 kids without ever doing the travel system thing though. I have a Baby Jogger City Mini that has been great and we were able to put our babies in it basically from birth when fully reclined.

With some creative shopping, you could pull off a KeyFit plus a nice stroller for very close to your budget.

I also agree that one of the Urbini travel systems would be a great choice and very easy to do within your budget. The Petal seat by Urbini looks awesome for itty bitties and has some very nice features for the price.

RCMurphy09

I have the Urbini Omni Travel system and love it! For only $199 you get an infant seat, a frame for the infant seat, and a great 3-in-1 stroller (converts to bassinet, parent-facing seat, standard seat). It comes in pink/black and purple/black but I have the black/black. The frame without the stroller seat folds really flat and is lightweight.
CSFTL pic of preemie doll in the infant seat:
Urbini-Jo-fit-300x300.jpg

A few of my recent pics:
Bassinet mode
IMG_3348.jpg

10 month old 28 inches 22.5lbs
102_4796.jpg

Car seat on frame
IMG_3790.jpg

boscopup

Thanks, everyone! I ended up ordering the Keyfit in Foxy pattern, since Amazon had it 25% off and DH had a $10 Amazon gift card (plus we have Prime). So $132 shipped wasn't bad. :) I'll keep looking at strollers and see if I can find a compatible one used locally. I'll have to stalk the local consignment shop. If I don't find a used one, I can pick one up with registry discount and gift cards at Target or BRU closer to baby time. I know the ladies at church plan to throw a gift card shower for me and the other ladies in my due month, and since I so rarely buy things at BRU, having a big ticket item to get there with gift cards will be handy.

I had been looking at the Liteway Plus and really like it, but why don't they have colors that match the car seats better? They don't even have a plain black one, which would match any seat. I think a gray one was coming soon on the website, so maybe that would work. I don't normally care about colors, but at the same time, I don't need it to clash. Lol.

If I can find the Chicco Caddy used, I'll get that, as I can probably resell it with the car seat pretty easily. I'll also look for some of the others mentioned here. I really appreciate the suggestions!

perrymelis

I bought a Liteway plus on Craigslist and ordered new front wheels from Chicco (moves so much better now). Colors are wacky though....Keyfit is green and stroller is red. Lol oh well, it was a great deal and functions well. I currently use it for my 18 mo old. Fits well in tight spaces:) Hope you can find a super deal soon!

1mommy

I love my liteway plus! Light weight and fits in my trunk with all the other junk I have in it, and I love that I can use it for the baby and car seat like on Halloween or for my toddler the next day. I got the red seat too so it matches the stroller which is nice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC