2 car seats and 2 grandparents in three row SUV.

Ngcarshopper

Hi, I am in need to trade in my ageing BMW X5 for another Vehicle which can be my daily commute vehicle, while also being able to haul my family and visiting grandparents.

I have a 2 yr old in a FF britax marathon, and a 1 month old in a RF Graco. My options seem to be to either take 2 cars everytime we all need to go out together, or buy a three row SUV which can work with one of the following configs.

1. Stick my 2 year old daughter in the third row with my son in the middle seat of 2nd row.

2. Have my daughter and son side by side in the back, leaving one seat free to slide to access the third row for one of the grandparents to get in.

Would either of this work well? In option 1 I am afraid my daughter will have very little room and might refuse to sit there as she grows. The FF britax is pretty bulky and there is still a long time before she will graduate to a booster seat.
In option 2, I am not sure if with a FF and RF car seat installed, I will be able to freely slide the third seat for accessing the third row.

Any ideas/suggestions? Oh and I would rather poke my eyes out with a fork than trade in my BMW X5 for a minivan, and my wife's chevy volt still has 1.5 years on its lease.

ADS

bubbaray

The new Nissan Pathfinder can access the 3rd row with a car seat installed in the second row. I'm not sure about the new Toyota Highlander, it might too. I prefer the Highlander myself but check out the third row access on those two. You could also look at the Infinit and Lexus comparables.

You should easily be able to do 2 seats second row and out the GPs 3rd row in a Suburban/Yukon XL but I'm not clear you want to go that big?

DawgDad

Hi, I am in need to trade in my ageing BMW X5 for another Vehicle which can be my daily commute vehicle, while also being able to haul my family and visiting grandparents.

I have a 2 yr old in a FF britax marathon, and a 1 month old in a RF Graco. My options seem to be to either take 2 cars everytime we all need to go out together, or buy a three row SUV which can work with one of the following configs.

1. Stick my 2 year old daughter in the third row with my son in the middle seat of 2nd row.

2. Have my daughter and son side by side in the back, leaving one seat free to slide to access the third row for one of the grandparents to get in.

Would either of this work well? In option 1 I am afraid my daughter will have very little room and might refuse to sit there as she grows. The FF britax is pretty bulky and there is still a long time before she will graduate to a booster seat.
In option 2, I am not sure if with a FF and RF car seat installed, I will be able to freely slide the third seat for accessing the third row.

Any ideas/suggestions? Oh and I would rather poke my eyes out with a fork than trade in my BMW X5 for a minivan, and my wife's chevy volt still has 1.5 years on its lease.

I don't quite understand the mindset of wanting to poke your eyes out with a fork than to trade your X5 for a better car in a Honda Odyssey. It meets all your requirements, gives you more features and functionality, and offers it all at a significantly lower upfront cost and overall cost. Trust me, I had reservations as a dad going to try one out, but it was a far better option than the giant SUVs. My wife couldn't get in the car and drive it safely (much less park it) and it was so annoying getting kids in and out of that 3rd row (adults look painful back there).

Having the multiple person vehicle (or what used to be called the minivan) has been the best vehicle you could possibly own if you have 3+ kids and/or need it for transporting more adults. Especially older adults...they will have a hard time getting in and out of those massive SUVs.

Lastly, cargo room for trips. With the 3rd row up, it's virtually gone in an SUV. You HAVE to get a roof carrier. In the Odyssey, you still have room. Not to mention if it's just the kids, you can have them all up in the middle row since the seats are wider spaced to allow for more configurations of car seats side-by-side, fold the 3rd row down, and you have a TON of cargo space (remember, a MPV is lower to the ground so it's easier to load and unload cargo as well as offering more vertical space...trips to Home Depot are a LOT easier in these vehicles over a SUV with less space and a taller load level).

In the end, it's the best offering that meets your needs. If you have another priority that outweighs all those needs (like offroad capability a must) that eliminates the MPV or "minivan"...then there are a small few giant SUVs that could work...but they all are new models that meet more of the safety guidelines of today and offer more seating flexibility. You will spend significantly more (anywhere between $10-20K), but it will give you offroad ground clearance.

TXDani

Senior Community Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting a minivan. Some people like minivans and some people don't, but for some reason there are some people who try to act like not liking a minivan is a crime against humanity. :rolleyes:

Do you have a price point you want to stay around? Are you wanting another mid-sized SUV or full-sized? Are you open to domestic or do you prefer another import?

Luckily there are lots of 3 row SUV options available today that I am sure you can find something you like and you won't have to resort to a minivan.:D

Hazelandlucy

You might want to look into the infinti qx60. You can slide the outboard 2nd row seat forward with a forward facing car seat installed. I think the pathfinder also does that.

DawgDad

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting a minivan. Some people like minivans and some people don't, but for some reason there are some people who try to act like not liking a minivan is a crime against humanity. :rolleyes:

Luckily there are lots of 3 row SUV options available today that I am sure you can find something you like and you won't have to resort to a minivan.:D

Lol...it's not a "crime against humanity"...the question was asked "what was the best option for meeting my needs." Ignoring it for reasons unknown makes no logical sense. At the end of the day, a car is just a tool to get you from point A to B. There are certain requirements it must meet. If you are requesting a vehicle that has to meet certain requirements, but omitting the best or only option, then it makes no sense. One could draw obvious assumptions as to why it's being omitted, but I didn't...I only suggested and supported my recommendation with logical reasoning.

I couldn't recommend anything else since it didn't fully meet the criteria asked, which is why I asked if there were additional criteria it had to meet. Especially since I personally made the decision as a father (like the OP) with the same criteria (2 young kids still unable to buckle themselves in along with the need to have seating for the grandparents) and came in with the same incorrect assumptions of even looking at a "minivan". I still don't see how crawling into the back (extremely cramped 3rd row) for an elderly person or even as a parent to buckle their kids into the carseats is a better solution than not having to worry about that problem with a multi-person vehicle and transporting with ease and comfort.

SavsMom

A person needs to like what they drive. If I'm buying a car I will not buy something I do not want to drive. OP has stated his feelings about a van and those should be respected.

There are a lot of great choices that could work for you. I'd look at the Pathfinder, Highlander and Pilot.

Ngcarshopper

Do you have a price point you want to stay around? Are you wanting another mid-sized SUV or full-sized? Are you open to domestic or do you prefer another import?

Hey Dani, :) thanks for that. I am looking for a used SUV, planning to go for a 2011 model or thereabouts. I am definitely trying to stay under 40k, closer to 30k would be nice. I have been looking at BMW X5, Audi Q7 and Mercedes GL 450. Looking at these just because I am trading in an older BMW X5 and wanted to stay within the luxury SUV brands.

Ngcarshopper

You might want to look into the infinti qx60. You can slide the outboard 2nd row seat forward with a forward facing car seat installed. I think the pathfinder also does that.

Yes I did look at that. However they introduced that very recently and I wont find a 2011 or thereabouts model. I think they introduced it in 2013/2014 itself. Would end up being too pricey.

Ngcarshopper

Lol...it's not a "crime against humanity"...the question was asked "what was the best option for meeting my needs." Ignoring it for reasons unknown makes no logical sense. At the end of the day, a car is just a tool to get you from point A to B. There are certain requirements it must meet. If you are requesting a vehicle that has to meet certain requirements, but omitting the best or only option, then it makes no sense. One could draw obvious assumptions as to why it's being omitted, but I didn't...I only suggested and supported my recommendation with logical reasoning.

I couldn't recommend anything else since it didn't fully meet the criteria asked, which is why I asked if there were additional criteria it had to meet. Especially since I personally made the decision as a father (like the OP) with the same criteria (2 young kids still unable to buckle themselves in along with the need to have seating for the grandparents) and came in with the same incorrect assumptions of even looking at a "minivan". I still don't see how crawling into the back (extremely cramped 3rd row) for an elderly person or even as a parent to buckle their kids into the carseats is a better solution than not having to worry about that problem with a multi-person vehicle and transporting with ease and comfort.

Hey Dawg, I get what you are saying. I am curious though, are you using this minivan as your daily commute vehicle? The thing is I would only need all that extra room for occasional trips when the whole family would prefer to sit in one car together. But the 90% situation for this vehicle is going to be the replacement of my BMWX5 as my daily commute vehicle! If I do need to take very long trips with more than 5 people, I would probably rent something. I cant forget all the times when I have zoomed up the hilly roads to lake tahoe during snow season in my X5, and laughing at the minivans pulled over on the side trying to figure out the snow chains.

That's why I am looking for luxury SUV to replace my current 5 seater X5. I would still look sexy driving up to work (hence not looking for a monster SUV either), still laugh at all the minivans pulled over during snow season when going skiing without grandparents, but when 6 of us need to go around town for short trips, we don't need to pull out two vehicles every time.

Make sense?

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Hey Dani, :) thanks for that. I am looking for a used SUV, planning to go for a 2011 model or thereabouts. I am definitely trying to stay under 40k, closer to 30k would be nice. I have been looking at BMW X5, Audi Q7 and Mercedes GL 450. Looking at these just because I am trading in an older BMW X5 and wanted to stay within the luxury SUV brands.

All the options you listed are good starting points. I know with the GL and Q7 you can load kids into the third row from standing at the door which is nice. Unlike Dawg stated I have never had to climb into the third row to load kids into carseats, not even in my Yukon XL Denali. Maybe he is super short and that is why he has problems? But for most people it is pretty easy to stand outside the door and buckle the kids in the third row. Aside from loading kids I don't have any personal experience with those vehicles other than I know many moms who love their GLs and you know if you weren't opposed to getting a 2009/2010 you could probably find some GL550s in your price range...swoon!

One suggestion I have which I know does not scream fun, sporty or European but it might surprise you would be the Acura MDX. I bought one new in 2007 and it still holds a spot in my heart as one of my favorite cars I've ever owned (trust me there have been a lot so that really says something). It has a third row which works well with carseats and actually drives very "European" for an Asian import. I currently drive a Range Rover Supercharged and the MDX drove and handled very similarly...despite the 210 horsepower difference. We owned this vehicle when we lived in the PNW and the SH-AWD was awesome!

Another suggestion which is another Asian import and might be a little too big for your liking is a 2011+ Infiniti QX56 (now renamed QX80). We have heavily gone back and forth on buying one of these ourselves since we need a bigger vehicle and it will surprise you in power and handling. And I think with the 22" wheels they are great looking but I know many people think they are just too funky looking. In your price range you are looking at one with around 60,000 miles so that is something to keep in mind. The nice thing about the QX is you can get it with captains chairs which I prefer but might not be a selling point for you.

Now just yell at me if there is no way you would drive an Asian import and I can try to think of more suggestions to look at although it sounds like you have a good start.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Honestly, there is not a single midsize SUV with a third row seat that is comfortable for even smaller adults. In some, there is a lack of legroom because the 2nd row seats are not adjustable. In almost all of them, the seats are so low to the floor that anyone older than a child on a booster will have not thigh support as their knees will be well up off the seat cushion. Maybe fine for a 15 minute ride, but nothing too much longer.

That is where minivans and some full size SUVs have the advantage. Their third row seats are much more comfortable, with some exceptions. Though not one of the largest full-size models, the GL has a much better third row seat for small and average adults than midsize models, including luxury models like MDX and QX60.

So, if you do opt for a midsize model, I'd leave one or both outboard second row seats for any adult passengers. In some, a narrow seat like a Radian or a booster in the middle of the second row will still let you access the third row for another child from one side. In others, you might have an aisle in the middle of the 2nd row and have both kids in the third row.

Check out our SUV reviews at www.carseatblog.com ! My personal choice for your situation might be a used GL350 BlueTEC. The only downside is that it drives like a full-size truck based SUV, probably not nearly as nice to drive as your X5. The previous generation Acura MDX is a nice driver and would be a better bargain too. It is also very child seat friendly.

Ngcarshopper

Honestly, there is not a single midsize SUV with a third row seat that is comfortable for even smaller adults. In some, there is a lack of legroom because the 2nd row seats are not adjustable. In almost all of them, the seats are so low to the floor that anyone older than a child on a booster will have not thigh support as their knees will be well up off the seat cushion. Maybe fine for a 15 minute ride, but nothing too much longer.

That is where minivans and some full size SUVs have the advantage. Their third row seats are much more comfortable, with some exceptions. Though not one of the largest full-size models, the GL has a much better third row seat for small and average adults than midsize models, including luxury models like MDX and QX60.

So, if you do opt for a midsize model, I'd leave one or both outboard second row seats for any adult passengers. In some, a narrow seat like a Radian or a booster in the middle of the second row will still let you access the third row for another child from one side. In others, you might have an aisle in the middle of the 2nd row and have both kids in the third row.

Check out our SUV reviews at www.carseatblog.com ! My personal choice for your situation might be a used GL350 BlueTEC. The only downside is that it drives like a full-size truck based SUV, probably not nearly as nice to drive as your X5. The previous generation Acura MDX is a nice driver and would be a better bargain too. It is also very child seat friendly.

Thank you Dani and Darren for your comments. Yes I was considering the Acura MDX as my 4th choice. Infact as of right now from what I have seen, it will be a tossup between an older GL or a relatively newer Acura MDX. Now if only I could affoard a fully loaded 2013 GL :drool:.

Now for the Acura, do either of believe that my daughter can grow into it if she needs to ride in the third row in a large-ish FF carseat? It will be a long time before she gets into a booster seat and her current Britax MArathon occupies a lot of space.

I assume that with an MDX, the option of having grandparents in the third row may not work, right? If however it is workable for short trips, do you think there is a combination of two carseats out there (RF/FF for now and FF/FF soon), which can still allow the third outboard seat to be rolled forward for allowing third row access?

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Thank you Dani and Darren for your comments. Yes I was considering the Acura MDX as my 4th choice. Infact as of right now from what I have seen, it will be a tossup between an older GL or a relatively newer Acura MDX. Now if only I could affoard a fully loaded 2013 GL :drool:. Now for the Acura, do either of believe that my daughter can grow into it if she needs to ride in the third row in a large-ish FF carseat? It will be a long time before she gets into a booster seat and her current Britax MArathon occupies a lot of space. I assume that with an MDX, the option of having grandparents in the third row may not work, right? If however it is workable for short trips, do you think there is a combination of two carseats out there (RF/FF for now and FF/FF soon), which can still allow the third outboard seat to be rolled forward for allowing third row access?

Oh yes there are many combos that I used in my MDX that allowed the seat to slide forward to access to the third row. I haven't owned the car for years so I can't remember exactly what but it was pretty limitless. I know I could do it with the Britax convertibles and an infant seat and I think I even had a Regent (HUGE wide seat) in the mix. I can't look through my pictures on my laptop tomorrow and see what I have documented.

Something that might be very helpful for you would be to use the "search" function and search MDX and tons of threads will come up with in depth reviews and comments on what worked for people.

PS I would kill for a 2014 GL63 but with 5 kids and a bunch football gear it just isn't feasible...oh yeah and that $120,000+ price tag ;)

gigi

The MDXs and GLs are very nice and both roomier than an X3. If grandparents came, I would put the biggest kid in 3rd row, baby center, and a grandparent on each side.

My mom is in her mid 60s, runs 5 mile daily, works out daily, does yoga very often, works full time, and is small and definitely would have a hard time getting into the 3rd row in an SUV, but it is easy for kiddos.

DawgDad

Hey Dawg, I get what you are saying. I am curious though, are you using this minivan as your daily commute vehicle? The thing is I would only need all that extra room for occasional trips when the whole family would prefer to sit in one car together. But the 90% situation for this vehicle is going to be the replacement of my BMWX5 as my daily commute vehicle! If I do need to take very long trips with more than 5 people, I would probably rent something. I cant forget all the times when I have zoomed up the hilly roads to lake tahoe during snow season in my X5, and laughing at the minivans pulled over on the side trying to figure out the snow chains.

That's why I am looking for luxury SUV to replace my current 5 seater X5. I would still look sexy driving up to work (hence not looking for a monster SUV either), still laugh at all the minivans pulled over during snow season when going skiing without grandparents, but when 6 of us need to go around town for short trips, we don't need to pull out two vehicles every time.

Make sense?

Sure, makes sense. For me, I have a company car as my daily commuter when I am not flying somewhere (it's a '14 Ford Fusion), but my wife and the family's every day car in the '14 Honda Odyssey Elite. I have owned Acuras and used to race in BMWs back in the day...so I completely understand the feel of a nimble vehicle.

I think you understand that any car can navigate the road well during snow season on the roads up to the slopes as long as they have a great set of tires on and/or chains. I have driven many times and seen lots of SUVs who thought "eh, I have an SUV so I can drive anywhere" sitting on the side of the road stuck.

At the end of the day, if you are done with children at 2 and only need the bigger vehicle for occasional times with the grandparents (and renting is affordable to you), then go that route. Like Darren said above, it's when you start to need that 3rd row every day is when it becomes a pain.

I have also driven the GL and like it a lot. It was in the running this past year before we got another Odyssey (quite frankly the 3rd child made it almost a no brainer). It doesn't feel huge like an SUV that size should and the features for families are great in that car (not to mention an eye to safety). If it's not in the budget, then the MDX is also a great car. Great safety marks and with Acura sharing with Honda for the majority of it's parts, it's one of the least expensive options for keeping maintained anywhere in the country. Definitely take these cars for a spin and put them to the test on how you would drive them. Good luck!

Ngcarshopper

Thanks all for the responses. I am adding more comments here for others to see in case they have the same dilemma. I went to the Acura dealer today and looked at a 2012 model and compared that to a 2015 model. I stuck my Britax Marathon carseart in the third row of both cars and here are the pics. What a HUGE difference. The dealer told me that starting 2014, the MDX 2nd row slides forward so you can add more legroom to the third row. I was able to adjust the front and second rows in the 2015 model where all three rows had reasonably acceptable leg room! Ofcourse the 2015 MDX is out of my price range ... :( ... Looks like an older Mercedes Benz GL 450 is the only thing that fits my needs and price point for now.

2012 Acura MDX third row
2012_Acura_Mdx_thirdrow.jpg

2015 Acura MDX third row
2015_Acura_Mdx_thirdrow.jpg

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Have you driven one yet? The '12 MDX is a much nicer driver than the GL in my opinion, not even close. In fact, I think the Odyssey has better driving characteristics than the GL. But I still like the GL better overall;-) Well, if price is no object of course!

Here's one of my favorite videos of the GL450:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVR9Jk1FYgc"]Lake Collingwood, Naperville - YouTube[/ame]

I have a longer one somewhere where I took my kids to school through flooded subdivisions, then got home to find out they were telling kids to stay home and I couldn't get back to the school lol.

ETA: here it is:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcGA45HXDPY"]4matic Real World Test: The Flood - YouTube[/ame]

amelia222

I'm not sure how much the 3rd row has changed, but I had a very difficult time installing and seat in the back row of a 2003 MDX. The Marathon ended up being the only seat to install tightly and allow any legroom for the child. So make sure you actually try out the installs in the vehicle before buying.

Ngcarshopper

Also, here are pics of the 2011 GL 450. Very nice room in the third row and much better access as well compared to the 2011 MDX. Is there someone who is able to get the third row comfy for a kid in a FF carseat in the 2011 MDX? I would certianly like to save money with the MDX, but the pics I took earlier didnt seem to indicate the kid would be happy at all in the third row.

Mercedes 2011 GL 450 Third row with carseat
Mercedes_2011_GL450_thirdrow.jpg

Entrance to that third row
Mercedes_2011_GL450_thirdrow_entrace.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC