Question Install check, please. Unsure if this gap is allowed?

trinalb

I am trying to install our new Britax Pinnacle in our 2001 Chrysler Intrepid with vehicle belt; no UAS available and DS would be over-weight anyway. We have frustratingly long buckle stalks and I am unsure if the install I did is considered safe. I will upload a couple videos to better show our issue but here is a description:

Video #1
Center position, CR as far over as possible so the belt is coming straight out of the bight along the side of the CR (giving the buckle stalk as much room as possible to extend on the other side), buckle stalk twisted 3 times. Moderate movement--no tape measure available but maybe about 3/4" side-to-side, I would estimate. I think the install would be considered okay (although not rock solid like our RXT), but I am unsure of where the buckle sits at the turn into the beltpath, if that description makes sense? The lap portion of the belt sits flush against the CR, as do the buckle and buckle stalk, but the lightweight locking mechanism of the buckle extends up slightly past the “turn” into the beltpath, causing the shoulder portion of the belt to create a triangular gap along the flat surface behind the armrest, in relation to the lap belt, before the two belt portions meet and lay flush as they travel down into the ClickTight beltpath. Hopefully I explained that properly.

Video #2
My phone died and the video got cut off before I was able to show the push test for movement at the beltpath, but I will describe it here: Install done in driver's side outboard position, where the buckle stalk is a touch shorter than in center position, buckle stalk twisted 3 times. The install was basically the same here except I was able to get it a bit more snug, due to the slightly shorter buckle stalk and pushing the CR toward the seat back a bit more firmly before removing slack and engaging the CT mechanism. It felt reasonably solid with only about 1/4”-1/2” of movement side-to-side but, again, the triangular gap was present where the shoulder belt turns around the lightweight locking latchplate to meet the lap belt, though a bit smaller than it was in center position.

The second install felt good to me and the first install might even be passable, but I am still unsure of that gap. I know without built in lock offs these would definitely be failed installs because the lightweight locking latchplate isn't able to lock in this position, but is it allowable with the Pinnacle's built in lock offs? Is there any reason that gap would be considered unsafe if the buckle stalk, latchplate and lap belts are all flush against the CR and just the shoulder belt portion is lifted slightly, returning to lay flush against the CR as it turns the corner into the beltpath? It seems safe to me but I'm not a CPST and I realize I don't know all of the dynamics that can occur in a crash.

Is there anything else I can do to get a better install here?

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I am not okay with where the latch plate is sitting, from what I can see in those videos. Having the latch plate sitting up above the belt path like that could put undue pressure on the buckle and cause it to fail in a crash.

If it's tighter outboard try not tightening it as much. Sometimes the sweet spot is when there is 1" of movement, despite our tendency to want it to be welded to the car. Shift it over further from the latch plate if you can. I don't recall if using the recline option raises the belt path or lowers it - but fiddle with that too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC