Air travel

U

Unregistered

My husband and I are looking at taking a vacation next summer that would require flying. My son would be 4 at the time. He currently is FFing in a Graco MySize 70 in our cars. We would also have access to a Nautilus and a Defender. Would any of these be a better choice to fly with for him, or would the Safe Rider travel vest be appropriate?

ADS

DogznKatz

Hi and welcome!

You cannot use the Ride Safer Travel Vest on an airplane as it requires a top tether and airplanes do not have them.

I would guess he would be most comfortable in his own harnessed seat and would travel with that on the plane. You will have it with you to install in a vehicle when you get there.

cantabdad

How big is your son? A child over 40 lbs. can use the regular lap belt on the plane, in which case you could bring along the Ride Safer Travel Vest and use it in your rental car. If you're familiar with and comfortable using the RSTV and are sure it will be compatible with your rental car, that sounds easier than bringing a heavy carseat. On the other hand, some kids are more comfortable in their regular carseat, especially for a long flight; the ergonomics of the airplane seat aren't always good for them sleeping (or adults for that matter, though for different reasons).

U

Unregistered

Some airlines will allow use of CARES harness, however it is to the discretion of the air hostess who is responsible for the safety of all passengers and ultimately the pilot.
If the harness interferes with the features of the seat behind, such as the fold up locking table or tv screen it would not be permitted.
You would need in addition to the harness, the 'kangaroo' or baby lap belt to fasten it (I believe).
The air hostess will not assist you with fastening this or any other device.

Some airlines will allow you to use a car seat.
The restrictions are:
Width of the seat, airline policy, pilot/airhostess decision, country of flight carrier's registration.

You can check the policy of your airline online.

Car seat: Combi corroco is the smallest width one I found. (3 years ago/2011) and I paired it with a 'go-go baby' wheel board, which goes in the overhead compartment.
PERFECT!!
The other item I always took was a ring sling, to use as a nursing cover, comfort, going to the toilet together etc. tool.
I suggest a car seat cover for gate checking! - read on...

All but one airline had it front facing (I flew with it about 6times in cabin on trans-atlantic flights, and about 4 times in a medium sized aircraft and about 6times in a small aircraft (two seats one side, one seat the other -sized plane).
It fit in all of the seats in each of the planes.

Some airlines will make you lift the child out and place them on your lap, with or without the lap-extension/baby lap belt if the fasten seatbelt sign comes on. (British Airways for example).
And other airlines will only allow their own seats to be used. (Virgin Atlantic for example).

You cannot win them over with logic, reason, rights, law, common sense, scientific fact or tears, but you can make the journey a whole lot worse by arguing the odds.

You may be asked to check your seat, if you are, insist it is a stroller/pushchair and that you are going to gate check it.
Gate checking is where you keep it to the door of the plane and it is brought to the plane door on arrival, if you must check it, this is how!!
-you must get tags for anything gate-checked!
Otherwise it may well become damaged or lost.
I would certainly use a car seat cover and secure straps as best you can before handing over.

Weither or not you gate check or bring it on board, you will go through security, most are helpful some will try to rush you, so try to make it easy by folding any stroller base you choose or unclipping the seat from the gogobabyz thing. ASAP.
If you're traveling alone, ask for help, they might not notice you're alone and need help.

Most airlines will only allow you to 'gate check' one baby item, and they may not allow you through security with both a stroller and a carseat, again check the policy of the specific airline online.

Calling and asking is a 50/50 thing as to what the person on the phone might know or have access to and as to what they might tell you.

Print off the policy and keep it on hand.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
That information is not entirely accurate, at least for
U.S.-based airlines. (Other countries may vary.)

US-based airlines, per FAA regulations, can't deny parents the use of child restraints that have been certified for airline use. This includes any car seats that are certified (nearly all of them are), and the CARES harness. Denying the parents use of these, if they have purchased a seat for their child, would be a violation of regulations.

The CARES harness does not interfere with the tray table behind it, and no other attachments like belly belts are needed (or allowed, for that matter). I've heard that belly belts are common in Europe, but they're prohibited by the FAA in the US.

This post has useful info plus a link to FAA rules about child restraints: http://carseatblog.com/8037/guest-blog-flying-with-a-car-seat-know-your-rights/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC