Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Would you go with clothed weight for weight minimums?

This might not end up being an issue depending on when we next travel, but I wanted to ask anyway. I have a frontier 90 at my parents house that DD rides in when we are there. The seat DS rides in is expiring soon and I'm hoping to move him to the frontier and DD to a booster once he is two (only for occasional use, he'll RF much longer when we aren't traveling). There's some chance he might not hit 25 lbs by two though. Would it be appropriate to use the seat when he's two and 25 lbs fully dressed or should he be 25 lbs without clothes? I see people talk about clothed weight for weight maxes but not sure if it would apply the same to weight mins.
    DD 12/08 FF in FR90, FR85 and booster training in a Graco Affix (44.25", 44 lbs @ 6 years)
    DS 3/13 RF in a Blvd and Evenflo Sureride (35.75", 25 lbs @ 2 years)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar
    The weight for car seats is fully clothed. I Don't think it matters if you are going for minimum or max.

CCO 4/15

Senior Community Member jwilliams's Avatar
    There is also a 30" height minimum. My girls are pretty short and they were 31" at two years, so I'm guessing that won't be a problem, just thought I would mention it
    5yo harnessed in a Britax Pioneer, one 3yo RF in a Fllo and another 3yo RF in a plum RXT, all in a 2014 Honda Accord.

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Re: Would you go with clothed weight for weight minimums?

Yes clothes & shoes. It's how much they'll weigh when they're in the seat.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

Great, thanks. He's tall (over 33" at his 18 month appointment) but not very heavy. I bet with clothes and shoes though we'll be at 25 by two.
    DD 12/08 FF in FR90, FR85 and booster training in a Graco Affix (44.25", 44 lbs @ 6 years)
    DS 3/13 RF in a Blvd and Evenflo Sureride (35.75", 25 lbs @ 2 years)