Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

tips with pictures of things you can do to keep your toddler from getting out of the car seat

A Facebook friend has a problem with her todd (ff) and the girl is getting her arms out of the harness, I was thinking of the duck tape trick but don't know if it safe
    Lourdes
    mom to Amanda Victoria 6 y/o in a Graco Turbobooster and Sofia Victoria 5 m/o in a Safety 1st On Board 35 Air

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Is she undoing her chest clip? Any idea what seat she's in?

Can they put her in a button up shirt and do it up over top of the harness/chest clip? How old is she? Can they consistently stop and discipline when this is happening?

Jacqui - mom to: DS; 4.5yrs (50lbs, 46", Diono Radian RXT), DD; 12yrs (5'2, 5-stepping)

She is pushing the chest clip down
    Lourdes
    mom to Amanda Victoria 6 y/o in a Graco Turbobooster and Sofia Victoria 5 m/o in a Safety 1st On Board 35 Air

This
    Last edited by lourdes; 11-10-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    Lourdes

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar
    First, the crotch strap needs to be buckled. Then tighten the straps. Once those 2 things are done, even if she pushes the chest clip down, she may not be able to get her arms out.

ETA- are the straps coming out from above her shoulders? If not, move them up which should also reduce the room she has to maneuver.

CCO 4/15

Quote Originally Posted by Dillipop View Post
    First, the crotch strap needs to be buckled. Then tighten the straps. Once those 2 things are done, even if she pushes the chest clip down, she may not be able to get her arms out.

ETA- are the straps coming out from above her shoulders? If not, move them up which should also reduce the room she has to maneuver.
    I told her about the buckle and she said it gets stock, she can't get it open, so, I told her to call Dorell.
    Is the duck tape trick safe.?
    Lourdes

If the buckle is sticking, she should get that dealt with asap. It is not safe for her child to ride in that seat without the crotch buckle done up. She is no safer with her arms tucked in with the chest clip in the proper spot without the crotch buckle done up than she is in what you have a photo of. The chest clip will not restrain her, it will break in an accident. She should not ride in the car seat until that is sorted out. If it is sticky because of food in it, she can soak it in water to try to unstick it a bit.

What is he duct tape trick? I wouldn't put tape anywhere on the car seat as the glue on it could ruin the harness or potentially break it down.

Jacqui - mom to: DS; 4.5yrs (50lbs, 46", Diono Radian RXT), DD; 12yrs (5'2, 5-stepping)

Quote Originally Posted by jacqui276 View Post
    If the buckle is sticking, she should get that dealt with asap. It is not safe for her child to ride in that seat without the crotch buckle done up. She is no safer with her arms tucked in with the chest clip in the proper spot without the crotch buckle done up than she is in what you have a photo of. The chest clip will not restrain her, it will break in an accident. She should not ride in the car seat until that is sorted out. If it is sticky because of food in it, she can soak it in water to try to unstick it a bit.

What is he duct tape trick? I wouldn't put tape anywhere on the car seat as the glue on it could ruin the harness or potentially break it down.
    I have No idea where I read that, the duck tape trick is to out duck tape above and under the chest clip to prevent it from moving down.
    I told her that having her without the buckle was like having her without a seat, but you can choose to listen or you can choose not to listen
    Lourdes

I personally wouldn't put duct tape directly on the harness. It is going to get covered in sticky glue that you will never be able to get off and will ruin the harness. It would be a temporary fix to stop her from sliding it down but you would need to replace the harness after.

As a pp mentioned, if she buckles in the crotch buckle, has the harness straps coming from above her shoulders and tightens the harness appropriately, she likely won't be able to pull her arms out. If she isn't willing to at least buckle the crotch buckle, there is no point in doing anything to prevent her from pulling her arms out as she won't be safe regardless in the event of an accident, although she may sustain more substantial abdominal injuries only being done up with a plastic clip around her belly.

Re: tips with pictures of things you can do to keep your toddler from getting out of the car seat

There is a youtube video about 2 little boys that got into an accident with only their chest clips buckled and they didn't survive the crash, as much as I don't normally agree with scare tactics maybe finding it and showing it to her will change her mind?
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

I will look for it
    Lourdes

Re: tips with pictures of things you can do to keep your toddler from getting out of the car seat

Cameron's Story

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuLq_Jr69ak"]Cameron's story - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.daydreamerdecals.com/cameronsstory.html
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

Duct tape is not a great option IMO because of possible damage to the harness. I had an issue with Matt doing this at about 2. Someone suggested to use harness covers below the chest clip rather than above and it worked perfectly. He could no longer push it down and take his arms out. I don't believe he could open the chest clip at that point. Also cardboard from toilet paper was suggested to me at the time.
    Last edited by cookie123; 11-21-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

CPS Technician

Please be aware that a young toddler could pull apart the cardboard and put it in his/her mouth. Then you have a choking hazard. This could happen with duct tape as well.

Merritt makes a chest clip guard.

http://www.escapeproof.net/