My friends situation-help

Jordynsmama

Well, my friend called me today with a couple issues.
Her husband I guess put her dd who is 6.5 (47 lbs and probably about 45" or so (she is short for her age) in the backseat of his 85 bronco with just lap belts in a booster (AOE in booster mode I think.)
She called me and wanted to make sure she was right that he was NOT supposed to do that. I told her-how dangerous it was- and she said she thought so and the manual says not to and how she got mad at him for doing it....(the kids dont normally ride in his car often)
Anyway his excuse was he didnt want to put her in the front. but-the front has shoulder belts and no airbag. I told she should put her in the front as far back as possible in the booster.
That is correct right??
Of course I said the BEST option would be to buy a higher harness seat. She said she would think about it.:whistle:
The other problem is that they are going to Mexico next month. they dont have laws there of course but she is bringing a seat for the baby (2 yrs) and I convinced her to take it on the plane(AOE) but nothing for her dd:eek: She doesnt know if the car they will have will have shoulder belts either:eek: and ppl drive crazy there and who cares...she could get a flat tire and flip the car. Ugh. I said honestly I think that is very dangerous and I would buy a higher harness seat for the trip...I told her about the radian or even an apex if the car has headrests but she doesnt know. I know she is worried- She actually called to ask me and she is stressing over it. She has always been good about car safety since she had her dd but of course not to the extent of us. But to take a kid who is 6 and stick them in a car with lap belts in mexico or anywhere is not good! I think I am going to convince her at the least to bring a backless to use in the front if they have shoulder belts.
She was actually questioning the need for her dd's (6 yr old) booster in general mentioning the law:rolleyes:...she said she is 6 but she isnt 60 lbs and she would feel better if she was 60 lbs and I said "actually the weight isnt the issue entirely-its how she fits. She isnt tall enough-the lap part can not be on her tummy and the belt cant be on her neck"-I told her it doesnt matter what laws say-the law of physics will always apply and if she doesnt fit right she could be hurt or killed. Its funny how ppl think the law means anything but that is why so many ppl with 6 yr olds dont use boosters.
She was very receptive and said she thought she didnt fit right so she will keep her in and everything and will look into the radian or apex.

ADS

ThreeBeans

Well, safest thing would be a higher-weight harness in the back, but the next safest IMO would be a BPB in the front.

Niea

If it's only her DH and the kid(s), then the booster in the front is alright. But I am concerned about the trip to Mexico. Does she know that lap belts aren't safe for anyone? They are travelling as a family, right? So two adults and two children -- if her DD is up front with the booster then is she going to sit in the back with lapbelts only? I guess it depends on what kind of car they are planning on using while there. But in the end, it seems like the best thing is to get a Radian. . .it'll be extra-useful on the trip, but continue to be useful before and after. And if cost is an issue, let her know that 2 year old can use it down the road, too.

Jordynsmama

If it's only her DH and the kid(s), then the booster in the front is alright. But I am concerned about the trip to Mexico. Does she know that lap belts aren't safe for anyone? They are travelling as a family, right? So two adults and two children -- if her DD is up front with the booster then is she going to sit in the back with lapbelts only? I guess it depends on what kind of car they are planning on using while there. But in the end, it seems like the best thing is to get a Radian. . .it'll be extra-useful on the trip, but continue to be useful before and after. And if cost is an issue, let her know that 2 year old can use it down the road, too.

I know. I would never be unsafe in a car. I dont get it. Its like why do we have to remind ppl to be safe when- shouldnt they want to be safe on their own? I would never ride with a lap belt or no seat belt and I wouldnt let my kid be in any unsafe situation-I would get a new seat easy. Its not even 200.00. I know she should just get a radian. But I just dont think she will. I wish I had an extra seat i would let her use it but I dont. They dont have a lot of money at all but they could charge it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC