Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Carseat Crazy

Re: Any thoughts on this downward rotation/rebound study?

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    It doesn't just turn off the passenger airbag. It may affect the sensors. Which means if you never have anyone there it's fine to use touching there. If the sensors misread the data because something is pressing on the back they may deploy with too little or too much force, not deploy when they should, or deploy when they shouldn't any of which carry an increased risk to the passenger of injury or death. So, never having anyone ride there allows you to touch, yes, but it has to be NEVER, at least without removing the seat.

Remember that the seat is not allowed to rotate past 70 degrees when installed at the most recline allowed by the seat. It's not going to go flat, not really. It can dip deep, yes, but not past 70.
    So if I touch the seat, but then move the seat forward when someone sits there, it's ok?
    DD1 12/11 FF'ing in a Evenflo Amp and Clek Foonf
    DD2 1/14 FF'ing in a Britax Clicktight and Chicco Nextfit

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelandlucy View Post
    So if I touch the seat, but then move the seat forward when someone sits there, it's ok?
    Assuming there's no prohibition from the car seat's instructions, yes.

The worst thing that can happen is that the airbag could deploy into the empty seat, which would drive up the cost of repairs.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Giant 6 year old in FR85 & Pinnacle; Petite toddler bouncing among CA65, CCO, BLVDCT, RXT depending on mom's mood.

4. Thank You from:

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Wish NHTSA would do some more testing, but check this old stuff out, none of the RF tests got close to 70, they are all more upright http://www.nhtsa.gov/Cars/testing/co...213/index.html
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

I have an older Swedish seat that doesn't have a foot prop, it is meant to be braced/touching, if not touching then it needs 400mm/ 15 & 3/4 inches of clearance. That seems like a lot of movement room to me!
    Chrissy Mum to : Ds Isaac(6) & dd Annabelle(2)

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Keep in mind that the main function of "smart" airbags is to lessen the power they deploy at if the passenger is very small or out of position. Even a very small adult is not likely to receive anything worse than a greater number of broken bones from the original, fully-powered, airbags. It's KIDS that are at risk from airbags, and even they are mainly at greater risk due to behavior and lack of proper restraint than anything.

One of my friends (an instructor) was telling a group of students last week that sometimes you have to look at the whole situation and realize that because kids are small and fragile they have a much greater chance of being killed or seriously injured in a crash and figure out who can afford to give up a little bit of crash protection so that someone else can gain some. This is a cipher that changes constantly and must be re-evaluated often.

For a single child family, the best solution for THIS moment in time might be to look at a seat that allows Euro routing or has a load leg or Aussie tether. For a multi child family, there are enough other factors involved that you can put a ffing child in the center to get the extra side impact protection, or you may need to factor in distracted driving due to fighting sibs.

Ultimately, you need to take a deep breath and do what is reasonable and logical to protect your children from car crashes. It's never going to be perfectly safe, so really, you can't drive yourself (drive! haha, puns, I does it without even trying!)

crazy trying to chase down every possibility. Modern car seats do an astonishing job of protecting children even with the the pathetically high misuse rate, so just being in a PROPERLY USED seat gives your child a huge mathematical advantage.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    Keep in mind that the main function of "smart" airbags is to lessen the power they deploy at if the passenger is very small or out of position.
    To add to your comment. In my last vehicle (and maybe my current ones but I confess I haven't read the manual about the air bag sensors in them yet ), the side torso air bags would turn off completely if a passenger was out of position. So if there was pressure on the right part of the rear of the seat, I suppose it could make the sensor think the person was out of position and turn off that side torso air bag. Which would suck in a side collision.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

Carseat Crazy

I know this thread is super old and I feel like I was a combination of bored SAHM and some sort of post partum anxiety....plus I did find the studies fascinating! But I just read that blog about how Dorel has reversed their 2 yr old FF minimum on their seats. Is any of this downward rotation part of the reason?

I think I am just trying to feel less crazy for spending two weeks around this time driving with my passenger seat at the dashboard!!

Still think load legs/rebound bar/rigid latch should be on RF convertibles - my nephews seats in England are just so solid with all that and I would think head strikes would have to minimized.
    DD1 12/11 FF'ing in a Evenflo Amp and Clek Foonf
    DD2 1/14 FF'ing in a Britax Clicktight and Chicco Nextfit