Question Convertible and infant in 2012 Sonata

U

Unregistered

Any advice on where to place a Graco Snugride (22) and Graco Size4Me FF in a 2012 Hyundai Sonata?

I would love to put one in the middle if possible to leave a side seat free for adults. Do you think this is possible? The Size4Me is currently RF in the center seat and was very difficult for a very experienced tech to install. She ended up twisting the belt stalk to get a tight fit. (I need to change this seat to FF because firstborn is approaching weight limit.)

I know the obvious answer is to try it and see what fits, but we have to install them ourselves before the techs will inspect them, and I am easily intimidated by figuring out what constitutes a good fit.

Also, I realize all children are different, but any guesses on how likely a fairly mild-mannered 2.5 year old and a newborn are to have any issues being right next to each other--bothering each other, etc. ?

Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd try in the middle. Rear facing and forward facing installs are usually quite different. Don't forget to top tether it now!

However, the shape of the Snugride's base may cause it to not fit very well next to the convertible. It flares at the hips. But try. Because they're both Gracos I think you have a better chance than two of a different brand, on average (since Graco can pull both off of the shelf and see how they go). You'll probably get more room with both with seatbelt installs, though that may cause the base to tip, so you may actually want to do a locking clip install on the base. That will also give you the ability to shove it a bit to the door, giving the convertible in the middle more room (a seatbelt install will do that, but the locking clip install will really hold it in place, since when you do a locking clip install you tend to cuss a lot and if you've done it right, it'll be tough to buckle, but then rock solid).

To test these, install one first and make sure you have a proper install (less than 1" of movement at the belt path when you give it a firm handshake with your non dominant hand). Then install the one next to it. Get that so you think it's good. Remove the first, and test the second again. If the second is still good, you're good. Because you tested the first and knew it's ok, and the second is good without the first, so it's ok.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC