Bus issues?

thekatie

I really struggled with where to put this thread, so if it needs to be moved my feelings aren't going to be hurt!

I know that school buses are safe, in some (many?) ways even safer than the average Joe's little car on the road. The size and color for visibility, the compartmentalization inside the bus, the training most drivers have to go through. I know all that, and have never hesitated to let my oldest on the bus, from when he first asked in 1st grade (he's in 6th grade now).

Since the start of this current school year there have been at least 12 accidents involving school buses for our district. In addition, there have been cases of drivers driving on suspended licenses, and one man was arrested for smoking marijuana on the bus while the kids were at an event.

My friend sent me this picture that she stopped for on the way to work:

This happened today, this morning.

So, all of that to say: I am really torn. My son LOVES the bus, and from a lazy standpoint I like him riding the bus. It's getting cold, I don't want to have to bundle my toddler and myself up to drive, when the toddler naps he is usually asleep around dismissal time, I just don't *want* to drive, I've been spoiled by him riding the bus. It's been such a nonissue with the buses seeming so safe, but now... Would you still continue to let your child ride the bus with so many incidicents happening lately?

On an annoyance but not necessarily safety issue, there also seems to be no rhyme or reason on when he gets home. According to schedule it should be about 4:35, but it's frequently after 5 because a driver didn't show up and buses have to be combined. Or a substitute bus driver who isn't familiar with the route takes longer as well.

ADS

MotoMommaNH

Wow the amount of crashes is completely unacceptable. Plus the reports of delinquent drivers...what does the district have to say about this? I'm sure you aren't the only parent with concerns. I would want to know their action plan asap.

Not sure I would be comfortable letting my child ride at least until they figure it out/get new staff etc.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Dillipop

You said there have been 12 accidents- in those 12, how many people on the bus have been injured? If there had been 12 car accidents, how many people do you think would have been injured?

Bus riding really is safer than riding in the car overall. In your situation, I'd be on the transportation companies ass and demanding that they prove that the drivers Are fit to be working for them. Be on top of the original at his school. Every time he isn't home at 4:35, be on the phone to the bus depot. Be a thorn in their side and let them know that you won't take the lax way they are handling things. Get a group of parents together to write a letter to the principal and possible the editor of the paper to get someone outside the department to look into the issues this year.

Athena

How big is your district? I'm curious about the percentage of buses/drivers involved in these over 12 incidents (12 accidents plus the rest) because that sounds huge and shocking to me and the types of incidents unacceptable. How can they not even keep track of whether their drivers have current licenses? That's fundamental.

I know it's inconvenient and I've been in the dismissal at nap time situation myself. However, I would pull him off the bus until something has been done about the incompetence level. Are the parents organized, asking questions, demanding changes be made?

Last edited:

thekatie

Wow the amount of crashes is completely unacceptable. Plus the reports of delinquent drivers...what does the district have to say about this? I'm sure you aren't the only parent with concerns. I would want to know their action plan asap. Not sure I would be comfortable letting my child ride at least until they figure it out/get new staff etc. Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
The district has announced they are looking in to the issues.

You said there have been 12 accidents- in those 12, how many people on the bus have been injured? If there had been 12 car accidents, how many people do you think would have been injured? Bus riding really is safer than riding in the car overall. In your situation, I'd be on the transportation companies ass and demanding that they prove that the drivers Are fit to be working for them. Be on top of the original at his school. Every time he isn't home at 4:35, be on the phone to the bus depot. Be a thorn in their side and let them know that you won't take the lax way they are handling things. Get a group of parents together to write a letter to the principal and possible the editor of the paper to get someone outside the department to look into the issues this year.
See, that's what I keep telling myself. Few injuries, and there would likely be more if they were cars. But... eek! The crash today was apparently because the driver had a medical emergency. He was the only injury, but it doesn't say if there were students on the bus at the time of the accident. The schools' start times range from 7 to 9:15, and the buses kind of overlap routes so some can be empty going back to the depot while others are full on their way to school.

How big is your district? I'm curious about the percentage of buses/drivers having incidents because 12 sounds huge to me and the types of incidents unacceptable. How can they not even keep track of whether their drivers have current licenses? That's fundamental. I know it's inconvenient and I've been in the dismissal at nap time situation myself. However, I would pull him off the bus until something has been done about the incompetence level. Are the parents organized, asking questions, demanding changes be made?
I'm in the Memphis area. Memphis City Schools dissolved their charter so it's all Shelby County now. A quick Google says 14th largest district in the nation, but I have no clue if that's recent or accurate. But it's a big district. The news has reported that at least 30 drivers have lost their jobs since the start of the school year.

Parents are up in arms, but I have no idea how organized they are. I haven't heard any information about parent meetings, etc. I'm out rural, at the edge of the county, in a teeny school, with few friends more central. I often hear news after the fact.

J1 is off the bus now, and he's not happy (& neither will I be, or J2, when it's cold), but... I wanted to make sure I wasn't being a nervous Nellie about wanting to pull him off the bus.

MUTigers

I think you have very valid concerns and I would pull my child off the bus too. Like many other have said, you (and other parents) need to hold the district/bus company accountable for their short comings.

As a side note, my dad is a superintendent in a small district. His first 2 or so years there I think he fired half the bus drivers for one reason or another. No accidents but stuff like a bus driver sat on a kid and other non-life threatening but still serious issues. I commented one day about DD riding the bus when she gets to school. He just laughed and commented that once I saw the issues first hand as a parent I would do whatever I had to do to drive her. He completely gets that statistically busses are safer too.

T4K

My city has many bus incidents but the city as a whole hates the bussing program here so the media sensationalized each bus issue.

jjordan

Wow, that is crazy to me! I would probably be making plans to carpool with a safety-conscious neighbor!

thekatie

We only live 3-4 miles from the school, it's not too terribly much of a hardship to drive (other than when the little is sleeping), I've just been spoiled with the buses. I'll drive other kids but I wouldn't want him in most of my neighbors' cars. Things like sitting still and using seatbelts are considered optional out here :( "We're just going down the road a tiny bit it will be fine!"

sirrahn

While that's certainly concerning, I think I would be bugging transportation to do a better job, not necessarily pulling my kid off the bus.

In the 10 years my kids have been riding pretty much every single day, they've been involved in 2 accidents. The first time they were rear-ended by a garbage truck at low speed. The second time happened just last week when the bus had a tire blow out on a bridge. In both instances, no one was hurt at all (although DS2 said the blowout was pretty scary!), but the drivers were not allowed back and honestly, I don't know that from my kids' version of the story that really they were necessarily even at fault.

Our district has many many buses, my kids attend magnets so most of the students are bussed, and I've never seen an accident and only heard of one other besides the 2 we were involved in. That one involved backing into a retaining wall...again nothing that would hurt anyone.

GL!

thekatie

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/7/shelby-county-schools-release-new-bus-safety-plan/

This article claims many, many more accidents than I had heard of. Durham (the bus company) says they will be doing new background checks.

I am very sad to report that the bus driver from the picture taken this morning passed away. They say that she had a heart attack. No criminal background check in the world can prevent that, and I am so sorry for her family, and the few students that were on her bus.

Parents are asking for change. Better checks for drivers, better scheduling so they don't have to rush. But in the meantime, I've lost faith. 42 accidents.

jacqui276

I think a few different things would have me considering whether or not I would pull my kid off the bus.

In those accidents were the drivers at fault or were they sitting in traffic minding their own business when they it rear ended? How many busses do they have on the road? Our school district is huge so 12 accidents (assuming fairly minor) doesn't seem that crazy high. The one you posted about with it being a medical emergency, I wouldn't put fault on the driver for that either. If you were driving and suddenly had a seizure or something, I would imagine the outcome would be a bit more severe than the bus pictured.

Smoking pot on the bus and driving with a suspended license is not excusable though and I hope that the company is seriously looking into those incidences.

Athena

I am very sad to report that the bus driver from the picture taken this morning passed away. They say that she had a heart attack. No criminal background check in the world can prevent that, and I am so sorry for her family, and the few students that were on her bus.

That is very sad.

bnsnyde

It's tough. Having a toddler, I can't imagine bundling her up if I did not have to, then waking her from a nap.

That being said, it's very easy for me to stick the kids in the van (warm in the garage) and take them to school.

My 5 YO takes the bus and we stand out there in the cold, across the street from our house. Other kids are alone in the house and they are not always all asleep! So the bus isn't always easier.

3 YO has a bus, comes to the door though. And he has a harness.

kam1011

Are the buses owned by the district and the drivers employed by the district? Or does the district contract an outside company to handle the routes? I would be advocating for the opposite of whatever you currently have. (Although, it sounds like the first option and that IS generally the better one) But if it's the first option, if be advocating for contracting the busing while the district gets their act together.

thekatie

Are the buses owned by the district and the drivers employed by the district? Or does the district contract an outside company to handle the routes? I would be advocating for the opposite of whatever you currently have. (Although, it sounds like the first option and that IS generally the better one) But if it's the first option, if be advocating for contracting the busing while the district gets their act together.
They contract out. It's a relatively new thing I think, but this isn't the first year. Maybe second?

kam1011

Well that's easy. Start pushing to fire Company A and find a new busing company. With 40-something accidents, this shouldn't even be a difficult battle!!! Get some other moms together and start flooding board meetings.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
While that's certainly concerning, I think I would be bugging transportation to do a better job, not necessarily pulling my kid off the bus.

In the 10 years my kids have been riding pretty much every single day, they've been involved in 2 accidents. The first time they were rear-ended by a garbage truck at low speed. The second time happened just last week when the bus had a tire blow out on a bridge. In both instances, no one was hurt at all (although DS2 said the blowout was pretty scary!), but the drivers were not allowed back and honestly, I don't know that from my kids' version of the story that really they were necessarily even at fault.

Our district has many many buses, my kids attend magnets so most of the students are bussed, and I've never seen an accident and only heard of one other besides the 2 we were involved in. That one involved backing into a retaining wall...again nothing that would hurt anyone.

GL!

10 years, three kids, no crashes. And I refuse to drive them because it's such a gigantic waste of gas. There have been crashes in our district, of course, they make the news frequently, but still, I'll play the odds and keep putting my kids on the bus, no reservations. (And our driver looks like he could go into diabetic coma or have a heart attack at any minute. knock on wood he doesn't :eek:)

jeminijad

That company needs to be sued right out of business. It has clearly taken WAY too long to respond, to the situation, and someone near the top has been very lax.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC