Outgrown Convertible - Next Seat?

W

wysiwyg

I have an Evenflo Triumph for my 4-year-old son who is 34.5lbs and 39" tall. This seat goes up to 40lbs but only 40". My first question is about height - the top of his head is still well below the top of the seat AND his shoulders are still well below the top belt positioners, is it safe to keep him in the seat or should I just move on to another seat?

If/when I do purchase the next seat, should I buy a seat that will let him be 5-point harnessed until 65 or 80lbs (I have a car seat safety person tell me at an inspection that the 80lb harness seats were more for the children that tend to be larger for their age and my son is on the small size - 25% for height and weight, so he could possible be in an 80lb harness seat until he is 8). OR should I find a good quality high-back booster? From what I read in other posts it seems that a harness seat is ALWAYS safer than a high-back booster?

I also have a younger son who is 2, 25.5lbs and 34" tall, so I suppose I could buy a higher-weight harness seat (the Radian65 seems to get univerally good reviews) that would get passed down to him and at that time buy a high-back booster for my older son who would then be 6 or 7.

I am just trying to figure out what makes the most sense from a safety and financial perspective.

I would really appreciate any recommendations!

Oh, I drive a Honda Odyssey (is it true that I can only use my LATCH to 40lbs regardless of the seat?)

Last edited:
ADS

melniemi

The 40" height limit is a guideline. As long as his shoulders are below the top slots, ears below the shell, and weight is below 40 pounds he is fine in that seat. Torso height is more important than overall height.

StarrNanny

My first question is about height - the top of his head is still well below the top of the seat AND his shoulders are still well below the top belt positioners, is it safe to keep him in the seat or should I just move on to another seat?
As long as his shoulders are below the top harness slots you are fine. The 40" height on a seat is based on an average some kids are longer or shorter torsoed than that average and the torso height is really the thing that matters when fitting for harness height.

If/when I do purchase the next seat, should I buy a seat that will let him be 5-point harnessed until 65 or 80lbs (I have a car seat safety person tell me at an inspection that the 80lb harness seats were more for the children that tend to be larger for their age and my son is on the small size - 25% for height and weight, so he could possible be in an 80lb harness seat until he is 8). OR should I find a good quality high-back booster? From what I read in other posts it seems that a harness seat is ALWAYS safer than a high-back booster?
The Short answer is Yes, Not Really, No , and Yes. The long answer is if it were me I'd make my next seat a High Weight Harnessed Seat. The CPST who told you that HWH seats are just for larger than average kids is only partially right, they are good for kids above the norm. but they are also good for average size kids to stay harnessed longer, and yes a 5 pt is safer than a regular seat belt/ booster seat belt combination. Why do you think race car drivers wear them? Keep your son in a Harness as long as possible but at the very least until he passes the "5 step test".

I also have a younger son who is 2, 25.5lbs and 20" tall, so I suppose I could buy a higher-weight harness seat (the Radian65 seems to get univerally good reviews) that would get passed down to him and at that time buy a high-back booster for my older son who would then be 6 or 7.
This is a great idea. As long as the seat isn't expired by the time your younger son gets it passing down seats is fine.

Oh, I drive a Honda Odyssey (is it true that I can only use my LATCH to 40lbs regardless of the seat?)
The Honda has a lower anchor limit of 40 lbs. However, you can make the parental choice to continue use of the top tether past the 40 lbs. Definitely stop using the Honda lower anchors at 40 lbs, but most people make the choice to keep using the top tether anchors past that, on the grounds that it's not likely to fail at that weight and even if it did, a failed tether anchor is better protection than no tether.

HTH

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC