Question Kidkraft Princess Castle: Good one?

Athena

http://www.kidkraft.com/toys-and-playsets/dollhouses/dollhouses/65259

Anyone have this, used this, seen it in person? Please share! Is it as nice as it looks? Is the wood finished nicely? (e.g. smooth, no splinters?)

This reminds me of the Melissa and Doug folding castle. But what I did not like in that one, the small openings and spaces that seemed less usable, appear to be fixed in this one with nice larger spaces and openings that seem more usable, especially by more than one kid. Is it as fun and user friendly as it looks?

It looks really nice, but I'll have to order online without seeing in person from somewhere without easy/free returns.

ADS

Ali

I don't have experience with those particular toys (which are adorable), but we have had several Kidcraft toys and they hold up very well!

Athena

I don't have experience with those particular toys (which are adorable), but we have had several Kidcraft toys and they hold up very well!

Thanks! Is the wood sanded nicely, no sharp edges or splinters? I think that's my main concern with buying wood.

It turns out the kidkraft one is a new product, the reason I'm not seeing it many places yet. That's the one I think I like the best.

Ali

We have the kitchen and an outdoor playhouse. The kitchen is all laminated wood with no splinters or anything. The playhouse is made for outside, so it has splintery stuff in places but it has been outside in the elements for over 5 years.

We also had a puppet theater and something else that I can't remember that are now in the kindergarten classrooms at the school where I teach. Both looked great the last time I was in there.

Athena

We have the kitchen and an outdoor playhouse. The kitchen is all laminated wood with no splinters or anything. The playhouse is made for outside, so it has splintery stuff in places but it has been outside in the elements for over 5 years.

We also had a puppet theater and something else that I can't remember that are now in the kindergarten classrooms at the school where I teach. Both looked great the last time I was in there.

I've thought their stuff looked nice. Good to hear it really is. Thank you!!!

MamaChirpy

I have a Kidcraft kitchen. I'm pretty sure it's real wood and not laminated. I'm very impressed with the quality, no rough edges. It's sanded and painted very nicely. We have had ours 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well I'll be the dissenter and say that KidKraft isn't anything special for quality. It's super cute stuff, we have a kitchen and several kitchen things (smoothie maker, toaster, coffee machine, and a tea set). The kitchen was a nightmare to assemble. The boards are all particle board and the hardware is the cheap crap. So many screws were machined wrong, that they damaged pieces and I had to order a bunch of new pieces to replace before being able to finish the install. Put together a KidKraft kitchen and you'll be BEGGING for an IKEA assembly...LOL. Yup, it makes putting IKEA furniture together fun in comparison! ;)

They make the process to replace parts really easy though. You go to their web site, find the manual for your product, and just enter all the parts you need and they send them your way. I think it's fairly common for their stuff to arrive broken or get broken during install which is why they make it a hassle free process.

All of the kitchen appliances and tea set have small chips in the paint just from getting dinged into things and my kids aren't hard on things. The paint just isn't that great for quality. And the paint job was sloppy on some things were they didn't spread the paint well and it looked like drips were just dried on.

I moved the kitchen over 2" one day and lifted the one end and pulled gently, and that damaged the bottom of the particle board on the side that slid 2". I pressed it back into place and cursed the cheap particle board. Our carpet is such low pile and I pulled so gently and barely moved it so thought it would survive. Not quite.

Everything we own is cute though and I don't regret getting it. It is better quality than random Walmart stuff. But it's certainly not heirloom quality that you'll pass down for generations.

This is the kitchen we have http://www.kidkraft.com/toys-and-playsets/kitchens/kitchens/53260

And I think that castle set looks super cute! I kind of want it but my girls got a Plan Toys house for Christmas last year so I have no space for another house sized item. That castle wasn't out when I bought them their house.

Athena

Thanks for all the feedback! Of course the price went up very quickly on the deal I'd found and has continued to go up, so I'll have to wait for now. Maybe it'll come back down before Christmas and next time, I'll know to go for it asap. ;)

Athena

Kidkraft Princess Castle NOW $49 on amazon!

For anyone else interested in this castle, it's only $49 right now on amazon! That's by far the best I've seen.

I got one, so I'll provide a bit of feedback in case others are curious. Overall, I really like it. I was disappointed by the quality control, but the problems required minor fixes and were still worth it at the reduced price, but maybe not at full price. The queen's foot had come off, so we glued it back on. The stall doors were tied on wrong, so I retied them (and I may change out the cord for something nicer anyway). There were a few rough spots and a bit of sawdust left on it, but i dusted it and may sand those few spots as well. Given I got a big, fun, adorable castle, plus furniture and dolls and horses all for $49, I'm really happy I got it and can't wait to see my girls' faces on Christmas morning when they see it.

Thanks to everyone who helped me make the decision!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC