Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Lightbulb Can tether hooks be installed by manufacturers or otherwise after market?

This may be a completely goofy question, but when my kids DO turn forward facing, I'll need them to be in seats that actually have the tether hooks. In my 2013 Sienna, there are only 3 LATCH seats (both second row captain's chairs and center back seat). I prefer using seat belt install, so I didn't really think it through, but soon enough we'll likely have more children. I assume we'll have several children needing that top tether hook all at the same time. So I'm wondering: is there a way to have more top tether hooks installed? I know cargo hooks can't work, so I am thinking the answer is no, but it's worth asking. I want all my kids safe all the time.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Re: Can tether hooks be installed by manufacturers or otherwise after market?

No, vehicles that come with tether anchors cannot have more installed (except in very rare cases, like Honda Odysseys of a certain few years).
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

4. Thank You from:

If it eases your mind any, I've heard that installing with seat belt with shoulder belt is considered almost as good as using a top tether, if top tether is not available.

What do you techs say?

Quote Originally Posted by tjham View Post
    If it eases your mind any, I've heard that installing with seat belt with shoulder belt is considered almost as good as using a top tether, if top tether is not available.

What do you techs say?
    We've had mandatory top tethering here in Canada for a long time, well before LATCH was ever introduced. So top tethering has been proven via crash tests to be better than a seatbelt alone for a long time here.
    TechnoAdult ∑ Driver's seat ∑
    TechnoTween ∑ Britax Parkway SGL backless ∑ Safety 1st Incognito ∑
    TechnoKid ∑ Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 ∑ Graco Tranzitions ∑

7. Thank You from:

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjham View Post
    If it eases your mind any, I've heard that installing with seat belt with shoulder belt is considered almost as good as using a top tether, if top tether is not available. What do you techs say?
    There are certain seats that route the shoulder belt sort of along the side of the seat, which might provide some additional limiting of head excursion, as a top tether does. There are also seats that don't route like that, and therefore wouldn't provide any additional benefit.

Generally, a lap-shoulder belt should not be considered "as good as" tethering, because it's not. Tethering should always be used, when available and possible. (Disclaimer: SafeKids says to stop tethering at 40 lbs unless the vehicle explicitly allows it beyond that point. Until they provide some proof that it's detrimental after that point, I will continue to tether.)

If there is no tether available and one can't be retrofitted, certain seats might provide some additional protection based on the shoulder belt routing.

9. Thank You from: