Britax Tether Extender

bella_1818

I have an Advocate Clicktight, and it has a very short tether. I don't have warm fuzzy feelings about Swedish Tethering against the vehicle manufacture's recommendation, but the tether was too short for Australian tethering. I called Britax as per the manual to get the tether extender.

This wasn't what I pictured it would be, thought I guess maybe I should have. The tether hook of the car seat is going to meet the extender right over baby's head/face.

Last edited:
ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah...I kind of assumed it would be something like that.

I don't have a problem with Swedish tethering. I think the reason it's not addressed by manufactures is that they just don't get it, especially since it applies to so few seats.

If you don't want to Swedish, I would just skip the tether completely before Aussie tethering it, but that's just me.

I'm curious to see a photo of it Aussie tethered with that extender.

Aurezalia

Yeah...I kind of assumed it would be something like that.

I don't have a problem with Swedish tethering. I think the reason it's not addressed by manufactures is that they just don't get it, especially since it applies to so few seats.

If you don't want to Swedish, I would just skip the tether completely before Aussie tethering it, but that's just me.

100% with you there. Aussie tethering and Swedish tethering are very different forms of rebound management. I'd skip tethering and just wait to get an ARB to put on there, honestly.

bella_1818

100% with you there. Aussie tethering and Swedish tethering are very different forms of rebound management. I'd skip tethering and just wait to get an ARB to put on there, honestly.

Counting down the days until it comes out, but I can't put it on there until they make it. I was hoping to Aussie tether in the mean time.

bella_1818

Yeah...I kind of assumed it would be something like that. I don't have a problem with Swedish tethering. I think the reason it's not addressed by manufactures is that they just don't get it, especially since it applies to so few seats. If you don't want to Swedish, I would just skip the tether completely before Aussie tethering it, but that's just me. I'm curious to see a photo of it Aussie tethered with that extender.

Can you sell me on Swedish tethering?

I did it on my pre-advanced airbag vehicles. Both my current vehicles ( 2013 Odyssey and 2011 Corolla) have advanced airbags.

I called both vehicle manufactures and was told they were only allowed to read me the owners manual, so they could only tell me where the tether anchors are located.

I know how to use the loop to Swedish tether and don't have any trouble finding the seat track, but I don't really understand how the air bag sensor works and I don't want to set them off.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My understanding is there are two potential things sensors in the seat tracks could detect. One is how far back the seat is positioned, and the other is to help sense the passenger's weight. (Not all manufacturers use the same sensors in the same places, and I can't say which ones do/don't use these methods because I have no idea.)

I figure that a d-ring wrapped around the back of a seat track with a tether strap attached tautly but not tightly is unlikely to have a negative effect. The airbags will deploy however they're going to long before the tether pulls on the track.

Do I know this for a fact? No. Not at all. It's just my speculation.

I also tend to not attach my rear tethers simply because I'm lazy. So take my opinion for what it's worth :eek:

bella_1818

As requested for curiosity sake pictures:

I hooked the seat up with the tether extender in Aussie style. The versa tether wanted to slide up the plastic SIP and sit on the top of the seat, not stay around the shell of the seat like a hug. The hook on the versa tether also wants to rotate at the point where it connected to the tether extender, which left the hook facing up or sideways instead of down.

I waved the white flag and hooked it up Swedish style in the Corolla, which was easy. I'll can keep using my infant bucket in the Odyssey until be rebound bar comes out for the Advocate CT.

Last edited:

MotoMommaNH

Wow that is a short tether...do you think you would need the extender to FF tether it in the Oddy?

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

lgenne

Ooh, can the tether extender be used with FF Britax seats? It might make my FR90 more compatible with some of the 2013 Ody seats, particularly the center seats.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The existing CT tether (by itself, without extender) is perfectly sufficient for FF tethering in the previous-generation Odyssey, whose anchors are all the way at the bottom of the seatback. Where are they on the newer model?

And yeah, Aussie tethering is awkward in general, but it looks even weirder with the extender.

As for whether you can use the extender with other seats, you'll need to call Britax. I imagine it would be ok though, if necessary. I can't imagine the old ones not reaching, though. Those things were crazy long.

lgenne

It's not that the tether isn't long enough for the Ody. It's that the Versatether ends up in the split between seats, rather than going over the back of the seat. There are old threads about it. It ends up going around the sides of the +1 seat, and into the 60/40 split on one side if you install it in the center 3rd row. An extender would change the angle, possibly fixing the issue.

MotoMommaNH

Good point....you could tighten it up some and then attach the extender. It just may work! If they say it's OK :)

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC