Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Nervous about switching to a booster

I know I'm paranoid... I know it...
    Dd is 8 1/2 and is about 50 labs and around 48-49 inches tall. She fits perfectly in her pinnacle... I bought a booster for her friend that comes with us sometimes.. It's the Cambria. She's a bit smaller than my daughter and in a Low back booster with her parents.
    I guess my question is... Is my dd safer being harnessed or is it the same if she rides correctly in the booster? I've let her ride a few times in it on short trips and she likes it a lot.
    Also, do I HAVE to latch the seat in place-is it safer latched or can it just sit there unlatched when someone is riding in it? (I understand needing it buckled or latched when not in use so it doesn't become a projectile)

DD 5-17-06, 42" 40lbs RF in a Petal XTSL
    DS 3-7-08, 37" 35lbs RF in a Nitro XTSL
    DS 6-16-10 30" 26lbs RF in a Recaro Signo

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Re: Nervous about switching to a booster

For a child that age/size I don't believe there is any evidence that one is safer than the other (harnessed vs boostered). At that age I would let the child decide which they would prefer as both are very safe options.

Having a booster seat latched doesn't affect the performance, the latch is just so you don't have to buckle it when it's empty (and my kids like it because they can grab the side of the booster to help pull themselves into the taller vehicle).
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

AT 8,5 I wouldn't have had a problem using a seat belt at all.

My 10 year old isn't in anything as he 5 steps very nicely, though if I could I would put him in a HBB for SIP hehe but he's shoulders are too wide for anything on my market.

CPS Fanatic

My 8.5 YO is in a booster, as of a few weeks ago. He is 70 lbs and maybe 52 inches. He was in the Frontier but the straps were hard to tighten. It was a pain. Too much potential for loose straps. We had various sized sibs in that seat too so it was never left on one setting.

Now, he just tugs to tighten the seatbelt in his booster, and it's much easier to get a good, snug fit.

Sister has been in a booster since age 5. No harnessed seats were a good fit for her seating position after she hit 40 lbs. and could not use latch in our Honda. The booster is a GREAT fit, and it's the middle row of the middle of the van, so super safe.

Current 5 YO is harnessed but he is prone to meltdowns.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

My 8 year old is larger than your DD and as a result has been in a booster full time for over a year now. He was outgrowing our Frontier 85 and I passed it down to my current 6 year old.
    But even if he still fit in a harnessed seat, I would not have him in one anymore. He is mature enough for a booster and rides safely in one with great seatbelt fit. It's age-appropriate for him. I kind of consider it like this - he has earned the privilege to have a car seat that is appropriate for "older" children. I actually have him in backless boosters now, although I will put the high back on for a long trip - if he's going to sleep he'll want the "headwings."
    Ann, mom to 3 big brothers and a baby girl:
    DS1 - Aug 2006, 80 lb, 56", incognitos
    DS2 - May 2008, 77 lb, 51.5", Vivo or NBB
    DS3 - June 2011, 46 lb, 43", FF in FR85 or booster training
    DD - May 2015, 19 lb, 29", ) Snugride 30