Nervous about switching to a booster

Mirandagrate

I know I'm paranoid... I know it...
Dd is 8 1/2 and is about 50 labs and around 48-49 inches tall. She fits perfectly in her pinnacle... I bought a booster for her friend that comes with us sometimes.. It's the Cambria. She's a bit smaller than my daughter and in a Low back booster with her parents.
I guess my question is... Is my dd safer being harnessed or is it the same if she rides correctly in the booster? I've let her ride a few times in it on short trips and she likes it a lot.
Also, do I HAVE to latch the seat in place-is it safer latched or can it just sit there unlatched when someone is riding in it? (I understand needing it buckled or latched when not in use so it doesn't become a projectile)

ADS

aeormsby

For a child that age/size I don't believe there is any evidence that one is safer than the other (harnessed vs boostered). At that age I would let the child decide which they would prefer as both are very safe options.

Having a booster seat latched doesn't affect the performance, the latch is just so you don't have to buckle it when it's empty (and my kids like it because they can grab the side of the booster to help pull themselves into the taller vehicle).

ERFmama

AT 8,5 I wouldn't have had a problem using a seat belt at all. :)

My 10 year old isn't in anything as he 5 steps very nicely, though if I could I would put him in a HBB for SIP hehe but he's shoulders are too wide for anything on my market. :(

bnsnyde

My 8.5 YO is in a booster, as of a few weeks ago. He is 70 lbs and maybe 52 inches. He was in the Frontier but the straps were hard to tighten. It was a pain. Too much potential for loose straps. We had various sized sibs in that seat too so it was never left on one setting.

Now, he just tugs to tighten the seatbelt in his booster, and it's much easier to get a good, snug fit.

Sister has been in a booster since age 5. No harnessed seats were a good fit for her seating position after she hit 40 lbs. and could not use latch in our Honda. The booster is a GREAT fit, and it's the middle row of the middle of the van, so super safe.

Current 5 YO is harnessed but he is prone to meltdowns.

aept

My 8 year old is larger than your DD and as a result has been in a booster full time for over a year now. He was outgrowing our Frontier 85 and I passed it down to my current 6 year old.
But even if he still fit in a harnessed seat, I would not have him in one anymore. He is mature enough for a booster and rides safely in one with great seatbelt fit. It's age-appropriate for him. I kind of consider it like this - he has earned the privilege to have a car seat that is appropriate for "older" children. I actually have him in backless boosters now, although I will put the high back on for a long trip - if he's going to sleep he'll want the "headwings."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC