Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: True Fit SI

Carseat Crazy

True Fit SI

Just discovered this seat. Not worried about 35 lb limit. Never hear about it at all, I assume because of low weight limits. Rebound bar and fully lined with EPP foam.

Is it still made? I did a search and it looks like very little about the seat lately. I have never heard of First Years although I think it looks familiar and I might have used some pacifier wipes of theirs, lol. Reputable company? Nice seat? Leg room?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member happiness-and-balance's Avatar
    They are discontinued. The First Years/Compass/Learning Curve/TOMY stopped making car seats this year.
    -Angela

Have it and love it. It was fairly recently that it was discontinued. Good leg room, takes up a bit of space back to front but not too bad if you have short people driving. I like that it has lock offs so I don't have to deal with the seat leaning.
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

I loved the seat with my son! There are better seats out there now, in my opinion, but it was a great seat in it's time!
    DS 6 years/ 46 inches/ 44lbs riding harnessed in a Frontier 85 and Frontier 90
    DD Riding in a B-Safe

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: True Fit SI

I have the SI and love it too.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

It's still on Amazon. Any reason a Peg/Foonf/Britax any better besides weight limit? My almost 3 yr old is 36.5 inches and still fits into a CCO so not super tall either.

It technically doesnt have a rear-facing height limit, just you can't use the 4th harness slot rf, but after a while I heard your child can get uncomfortable if the straps are too far below their shoulders. But if you plan on turning at 4, even if your child was tall I wouldnt think it would be a problem. So technically I think the new Britax CT would last longer RF if you wanted to RF forever (especially with the 40 pound weight limit).

The only thing I would be concerned with if I were you would be an older date of manufactuer, but if it arrives and you feel its too old and not worth the money you can return it.
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

The straps are wide set so for narrow kids you have to be careful about chest clip placement, and the required lockoffs have issues in a few cars/seating positions.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    I wasn't a fan of the True Fit myself. It took up a lot of room, IMO, and I hate continuous harnesses. That's a personal preference, though.

It's wide, but only takes up about 2” more front to back than the coccoro at a 35 degree angle in my car.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelandlucy View Post
    Just discovered this seat. Not worried about 35 lb limit. Never hear about it at all, I assume because of low weight limits. Rebound bar and fully lined with EPP foam.

Is it still made? I did a search and it looks like very little about the seat lately. I have never heard of First Years although I think it looks familiar and I might have used some pacifier wipes of theirs, lol. Reputable company? Nice seat? Leg room?
    I have one and I like it. The leg room is amazing (so much better than our Britax seats). If you can still pick one up, I'd recommend it. It is a wide seat, but I don't find that it takes up a ton of room front to back, honestly. It fits great in the tiny backseat of my '07 Subaru Outback. Ours is currently sitting in the closet until I get tired of stuffing my tiny 20 month old into his Marathon and Advocate. It is just so roomy.

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    I also didn't like the lockoffs, and the harness release was a PITA. Every seat has its quirks, though. I have yet to meet one I 100% love.

I had the TFP not the SI, but it's the only seat I absolutely passionately hated. Same with my fave CPST to work with. But like others said, YMMV.
    Kate // CPST, SK Senior Checker, & Mom to M (12/2010)

I have a true fit premier and love it. It has so much rear facing leg room! I just wish that it didn't have the 35lbs limit since DS outgrew it at 18 months.

Jacqui - mom to: DS; 4.5yrs (50lbs, 46", Diono Radian RXT), DD; 12yrs (5'2, 5-stepping)