two sets of car seats?

ADS

1mommy

One for Dad's car, One for Mom's car (plus one for Grandma's car, although that was very recent) Before that we just had two, one for each car they normally ride in, and if for a special occasion say we are carpooling w/ my sister in her mini van or my mom needed to take him, I would uninstall one of the seats and install it in the other car, but I can't imagine having to uninstall and install seats on a daily basis. It would drive me nuts.

Edit: I also recommend a second seat if just to have a spare in case of diaper blow outs or vomiting. Sometimes you will need to take a day or two to clean it (per manufacturer directions) and its is nice not being stuck at home during that time.

Last edited:

Baylor

I had one in the main car I drove for awhile and then found it was a pain so bought one for each kid for each car.

aept

One for each car. There was a brief time when we only had one child that we just always drove the car with the carseat whenever he was with us and traded cars as necessary.
Although with #4 coming he/she will only have one seat that we will move because there will be no permanent spot for it in the prius. Well, at least for the infant seat phase.

jacqui276

I have one for each car. I also have 2 sitting in my basement as one was from when my sister used to do child care for me (current child care provider doesn't drive so doesn't need a seat) and the other one was being used in DH's vehicle but was outgrown rfing ages ago but I'm wanting to save it for ffing.

When we just had the infant bucket seat, we only had one and would just move it between vehicles.

bnsnyde

A seat in each car, and 4 sets in the basement, lol. Lots of seats.
Nana's car is full of seats too, in case she ever picks some of the kids up. She is emergency pick up for school.

And then we have separate seats I've used on planes. Light-weight, etc.

Mary_Ann

We have 4 sets of seats, one in my car, my bf's car, MIL's and my mom. It's so relieving to know I have 2 people who can transport my daughters safely in case of emergency or if we are late for daycare pickup!!!

jess71903

Ambassador
We have a set for each car, but it wasn't always that way. My hubby's car was very very rarely used for the kids at one time so there was no need. Things have changed with my hubby's job now and we use the car more, so we do have a 2nd set now.

Aurezalia

Practically speaking, it's safer to get two sets of cheaper car seats than one set of more expensive car seats, even if the more expensive ones have additional easy of use and "safety features" (especially since we don't know how much the additional safety features actually make a difference - in reality, the difference is probably insignificant.)
That's because transferring car seats between cars often substantially ups the chance of the seat being installed wrong - especially with the chance that cars might have to be changed last minute or during a stressful time, when you might be rushing to get it in so you can go. Less expensive seats that are installed in the car once and then stay there for awhile significantly lessens the chance that there may accidentally be misuse of the seat, which far increases the safety of the seat even if they don't have as many added "safety features". A properly used seat is the most important factor in any crash.

bella_1818

We have one set of seats installed because DH is adamantly opposed to having car seats in his car.

I do have an extra seat for each child in his/her bedroom closet.

Kobain's Mommy

I have 5 sets. One in mine, one in Dh's, one in my dad's, one in my mom's, and one for if other people take one or both kids.

kam1011

I have a full set in each of our cars, plus two seats in my mom's and a few boosters scattered around to people who occasionally drive our kids.

seb3244

I have 1 set in my vehicle. DH uses his vehicle for work and although it is an expedition it is also his office so holds just one person.

Dd1 has an extra seat for when we ride with grandma or with auntie (also my niece will ride in it in my main vehicle) and dd2 is in a bucket so can go anywhere.

We do have another family vehicle we use sometimes and I am thinking of getting extra seats that can stay in that vehicle.

seb3244

Practically speaking, it's safer to get two sets of cheaper car seats than one set of more expensive car seats, even if the more expensive ones have additional easy of use and "safety features" (especially since we don't know how much the additional safety features actually make a difference - in reality, the difference is probably insignificant.) That's because transferring car seats between cars often substantially ups the chance of the seat being installed wrong - especially with the chance that cars might have to be changed last minute or during a stressful time, when you might be rushing to get it in so you can go. Less expensive seats that are installed in the car once and then stay there for awhile significantly lessens the chance that there may accidentally be misuse of the seat, which far increases the safety of the seat even if they don't have as many added "safety features". A properly used seat is the most important factor in any crash.
This is very true thank you!

MamaChirpy

No way... I have one set of seats for my children. I have had one or two "extra" seats when swapping seats with my cousin, or upgrading seats.

All my seats (3, soon to be 4) stay installed in my main vehicle (Suburban). If I need someone to transport my kids, (rarely if ever all 3) they take my Suburban. I can't afford two sets of seats! But having an extra seat or even 2, that can fit all of my kids has been super nice.
One time I washed all my seat covers at the same time in preparation for a road trip. My toddler relocated one of the buckles while they were disassembled. If it weren't for my cousin bringing me her extra seat, we would have had to cancel the trip!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
We have a car seat for every vehicle (3 of them) my daughter rides in regularly. When she was in an infant seat, we had 2 bases and did a baseless install for the third vehicle when necessary. Now that she is in a convertible, we have a seat in each car.

nataliem257

One set in mine, one set in my ex husbands, one set in my mother's car, a booster in the daycare van and a booster for a spare. It's really moot though because none of the spare cars ever have the seats in them when I need them to I always have to install them anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC