Rf seat for a tall baby

U

Unregistered

I am looking for the best convertible carseat that will allow for my child to sit rear facing the longest. He has been in the 90th percentile for height since he was born. He currently is 6 mo old 28in tall and weights 19.3 Lbs.

ADS
U

Unregistered

Hi there.

Do you have a budget of which we should be mindful? Also, what car do you drive?

Wendy

No budget, but we would like to buy 2, one for each car so something reasonable. I drive a Pontiac torrent (small SUV but has more room in the backseat than most SUVs) and my husband drives a ford truck with the full cab. I have the car seat brackets on all 3 back seats whereas my husband only has the brackets on the side seats.

1mommy

I would go for the Graco Size4Me (a.k.a. Headwise, Contender, Fit4Me).

If you are willing to shell out a little more money for a seat that will last longer, I would suggest the Graco Milestone, whici is a convertible that also becomes a High Backed Booster.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree with the Gracos mentioned. The Headwise/My Size/Fit4Me/Size4Me, Contender, Milestone, and 4Ever are among the tallest seats rear facing (they're all the same height rear facing).

Don't forget the seatbelt is a perfectly acceptable way to install a seat, same as LATCH, so if you'd like to install in the middle of your husband's truck you can easily do that.

Also, there's a LATCH weight limit that will be on the stickers of whatever seat you buy. For the Gracos it's 42 pounds. You'll switch from a lower anchor and top tether install then to a seatbelt and top tether install.

Wendy

jess71903

Ambassador
Welcome to car-seat.org! Is one car used more than the other? I would probably go with one of the Graco clones mentioned above for the primary car, but maybe something less expensive like the Evenflo SureRide if your husband's truck is less-used. If your budget allows and you want matching seats, though, go ahead and do that!

My dad has a late-model F150 (2013 I think?). It's the one with the suicide doors, not 4 full doors, but it's still really really car seat friendly. I have tried to talk my DH into an F150 for our "family car" and get rid of our Expy and his old truck.

U

Unregistered

Welcome to car-seat.org! Is one car used more than the other? I would probably go with one of the Graco clones mentioned above for the primary car, but maybe something less expensive like the Evenflo SureRide if your husband's truck is less-used. If your budget allows and you want matching seats, though, go ahead and do that!

My dad has a late-model F150 (2013 I think?). It's the one with the suicide doors, not 4 full doors, but it's still really really car seat friendly. I have tried to talk my DH into an F150 for our "family car" and get rid of our Expy and his old truck.

Thank you everyone for your advice. We will check out the gracos! As far as the truck goes, I would definitely recommend it, there is so much room but the gas mileage is terrible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC