Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Rf seat for a tall baby

I am looking for the best convertible carseat that will allow for my child to sit rear facing the longest. He has been in the 90th percentile for height since he was born. He currently is 6 mo old 28in tall and weights 19.3 Lbs.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Rf seat for a tall baby

Hi there.

Do you have a budget of which we should be mindful? Also, what car do you drive?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    Hi there.

Do you have a budget of which we should be mindful? Also, what car do you drive?

Wendy
    No budget, but we would like to buy 2, one for each car so something reasonable. I drive a Pontiac torrent (small SUV but has more room in the backseat than most SUVs) and my husband drives a ford truck with the full cab. I have the car seat brackets on all 3 back seats whereas my husband only has the brackets on the side seats.

I would go for the Graco Size4Me (a.k.a. Headwise, Contender, Fit4Me).

If you are willing to shell out a little more money for a seat that will last longer, I would suggest the Graco Milestone, whici is a convertible that also becomes a High Backed Booster.
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

I agree with the Gracos mentioned. The Headwise/My Size/Fit4Me/Size4Me, Contender, Milestone, and 4Ever are among the tallest seats rear facing (they're all the same height rear facing).

Don't forget the seatbelt is a perfectly acceptable way to install a seat, same as LATCH, so if you'd like to install in the middle of your husband's truck you can easily do that.

Also, there's a LATCH weight limit that will be on the stickers of whatever seat you buy. For the Gracos it's 42 pounds. You'll switch from a lower anchor and top tether install then to a seatbelt and top tether install.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Welcome to car-seat.org! Is one car used more than the other? I would probably go with one of the Graco clones mentioned above for the primary car, but maybe something less expensive like the Evenflo SureRide if your husband's truck is less-used. If your budget allows and you want matching seats, though, go ahead and do that!

My dad has a late-model F150 (2013 I think?). It's the one with the suicide doors, not 4 full doors, but it's still really really car seat friendly. I have tried to talk my DH into an F150 for our "family car" and get rid of our Expy and his old truck.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by jess71903 View Post
    Welcome to car-seat.org! Is one car used more than the other? I would probably go with one of the Graco clones mentioned above for the primary car, but maybe something less expensive like the Evenflo SureRide if your husband's truck is less-used. If your budget allows and you want matching seats, though, go ahead and do that!

My dad has a late-model F150 (2013 I think?). It's the one with the suicide doors, not 4 full doors, but it's still really really car seat friendly. I have tried to talk my DH into an F150 for our "family car" and get rid of our Expy and his old truck.
    Thank you everyone for your advice. We will check out the gracos! As far as the truck goes, I would definitely recommend it, there is so much room but the gas mileage is terrible.