Would you put a 6 y/o back to harness?

lourdes

So, my DD is in a booster since she was 6 y/o but her weight was 39 pounds, but she takes a medication every day that makes her loose weight, now her weight went to 36 pounds. I am a firm believer of 4 years and 40 pounds and I made an exception when she turned 6 dew to my DH and DD insisted on it but now I am regretting it

ADS

Brianna

The Turbobooster fits small children exceptionally well, and is rated to 30 pounds when used with the back. As long as your DD sits in position all the time and the seat belt fits her well, I wouldn't necessarily harness her. I might though, if it meant being able to do a 3 across in your back seat, which I know you aren't able to do with her in the booster.

Dillipop

Does she sit well in her booster? If so, I am totally fine with a 6 year old who is under 40 lbs. if the child was 4 or 5, 40 would be my minimum but to go back to a harness at 6 just because she lost a little weight would not be a priority as long as the child was in a seat that allowed it.

Suzibeck

At that age I would be ok with booster riding. My 6.5 yo has been boostered in dh's car for about 6 months even though she is still under 40#. She has a Turbo Safety Surround that fits her very nicely. I've told her she can full time booster when she hits 40# but she is only 37# on a good day. I do harness on cross country road trips until my kids outgrow the harness; I'm guessing we have twoish years left on her ProSport harness.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If she's likely to continue losing weight I would reharness.

But our state law includes a 40 lb minimum.

If it was a temporary weight loss due to a health condition that has now resolved, I might overlook it.

lourdes

I it is not temporary, she needs to gain weight but her medication doesn't help, it is a daily medication and she can't stop it, I was hoping of using the situation as a incentive to try to make her eat at school, I keep telling her that it she doesn't eat at school and keeps losing weight I will put her back in a car seat but never actually do it. And yes, it might help making a 3 across, I think

Baylor

No. I would not. Make sure her booster is rated at 30 lbs. She is 6 not 4. If she was 4 I would say maybe but not at 6. And I would not tie not eating to a punishment. I would make sure she had whatever it is she likes to eat no matter what it was.

Suzibeck

If she continues to lose weight and is nearing the lower weight limit on her booster, then I would re-harness for sure, but at her current weight I wouldn't sweat it. My dd was 34-35 pounds when we started boostering regularly and probably only 32 pounds when she first rode in a booster at age 5 (I waited until she was 6 to booster more than once or twice for super short trips). I still prefer 4 and 40 but some kids are just light weights but have the bone maturity and ability to booster in spite of their small size.

lourdes

Thanks to all, we are on our way to the ped and will see how much her weight is today, following one of the answers, if we go back to harness because of space I will talk to her and explain her why so she can understand it is not a punishment, I didn't think about it that way, and you are right, everything everyone said makes sense. She has been without medication for 6 days and she is eating like crazy, we are considering leaving her without it for 2 weeks and see how she does in school (aderall)

1mommy

I woiuld not, she might take it like it's a punishment and she did nothing wrong, if her weight concerns you that much, there was a thread a while back about helping kids gain weight, maybe you can help her pack on the extra pounds?

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=272377

Also as long as her booster is rated from 30 pounds and she has a good belt fit, there are no studies and no data that proves a neaurotypical 6 year old is safer in a harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC