final questions on rotation!

Hazelandlucy

I have a 2014 Odyssey. I can't have a seat touch the passenger seat, but I can on the driver's side.

So what is the safest?

Behind the driver and carseat touching the seat back.

Center seat where carseat can freely rotate downward with nothing stopping it (too much neck force? risk of hitting console?)

Passenger seat with 1/4 inch to stop rotation immediately or 8 + inches to allow either no interference or downward rotation stopped at a later point.

Is downward rotation a big enough concern that I should switch the Foonf to behind the driver to touch and also allow me to european route my Coccoro in the center for easy access (the low side of belt).

Sorry to be so fixated on this. I know I have asked these questions before, but I can't quite get it straight in my head whether hitting the front seats is good to limit rotation - and at what distance - or no impact and maximum rotation happening.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Anywhere. Remember that the maximum rotation allowed for carseats is 70* and testing for that number is done on a very soft bench that doesn't resemble the cushioning of today's modern vehicles. OTOH, you do have heavier carseats with higher RF weight limits that could affect the rotation as well. I do think it's something you're overthinking, though. We simply aren't seeing injuries on rf kids in properly installed and properly used carseats.

Also, keep in mind that even if the carseat is installed on the passenger side where the carseat can't touch the front seat, the front seat will be moving in the same direction as the carseat in a crash--they move in tandem.

Hazelandlucy

That study I linked in the load leg convertible thread made it sound like it was happening in real life and every time when tested at NCAP level so I have totally fixated on it (plus seeing all those load leg infant and convertible seats overseas).

I will try to relax though and stop "researching" worst case scenarios! Especially since the seat I really want doesn't even have rebound control, lol.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Anywhere. Remember that the maximum rotation allowed for carseats is 70* and testing for that number is done on a very soft bench that doesn't resemble the cushioning of today's modern vehicles.

Also important to take into account is that the maximum amount of rotation hasn't been changed since the days when seats either had no harness, or a harness only meant to keep a baby from crawling out of the seat. 70* rotation on the test bench is a very conservative holdover number and has very little correlation to how modern seats and cars perform. It's main value is as an indicator that the seat will prevent ejection even with gross harness misuse.

There are many methods for managing crash energy other than rotation. A load leg is just one way.

bnsnyde

I'd go with the center seat. It's the middle OF the middle of the van. Pretty safe!

We had a RF Advocated there for a while. It was great! It was RF tethered, too. I had to remove some plastic off the van down by the seats to do this, which wasn't a big deal.
Now we have 6 carseats installed (your same van but 2011 year) and we are more limited for choices due to various reasons. I put the 18-month-old outboard since I want her seat to rotate (it's an Orbit Toddler) when I put her in. Saving my back while pregnant).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC