Easy Seatbelt Install

U

Unregistered

Hi - I'm going crazy trying to find the perfect convertible seat for my almost 1 year old. Hoping someone can help! Mostly, I want the seat to be very easy to install with a seatbelt. . .and easy to adjust the harness securely. I would also like to keep her RF as long as possible (she was 27.5 in and 15b 3oz at 9 mo's). I loved the Britax ClickTight models until I went to the store and almost fell over trying to pick it up - we will be transferring the seat between me and my husbands car on the weekends and traveling a bit so 30 lbs is a little too heavy!! Any ideas?

Thanks!

ADS

jjordan

Welcome to car-seat.org. :) I think you will find that the "perfect car seat" does not exist; you're probably going to have to compromise on something on your wish list. But maybe we can help you weigh pros and cons and tell you about some other seats that might be contenders for you!

Until I read that you'd deemed the ClickTight too heavy, that was going to be my suggestion. It is probably the easiest seatbelt installation of any convertible, and will last a very long time RF. Sure, it's heavy, but the truth is that pretty much any long-lasting convertible is going to be much, much heavier than an infant "bucket" seat! Here is a spreadsheet with info about convertible seats, including weight. There are a few seats in the 15 pound range, but other than that (with one exception - Evenflo Sure Ride), the longer-lasting seats are usually in the 20-30 pound range.

One thing you might consider is getting one seat (like a Britax CT) for the primary car and then a lighter seat for the secondary car, for moving between cars, for traveling, and so on.

1mommy

Also, in case you hadn't thought of it, for the price of one Britax Click tight you can get 2 very safe and comfrotable car seats one for each car. Do both cars have latch?

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the replies! And the spreadsheet! Ugh, the ClickTight is so perfect if only it wasn't 30 lbs. Looking at the spreadsheet they are all pretty heavy. I think something around 20 lbs would be ok. I lifted a few at Buy Buy Baby and 20 lbs was WAY easier for me to lift than 30 lbs (while carrying by daughter on my hip).

My concern with having 2 seats is. . . .my husbands car is a work car so only wants a seat in there on weekends (and only if he will use that car). So, it will have to just sit in a closet during the week, and we don't have tons of extra space. Also, I don't want different brand seats because I'm afraid I will get overwhelmed and forget how to install or what the height/weight requirements are for each. Especially when we have our next baby and then we have multiple seats. I know you guys know everything about all different seats. . and I don't know how you do it!

So, do you think I should suck it up and deal with a heavy seat? It will only be bad when traveling (airport, rental cars. . .) and switching to my husbands car maybe once a week or so. Or is there a 20 lb ish one that would be better? I thought about the NextFit but that's 25 lbs and heard the harness is hard to tighten. Maybe the old Britax Model. . but not sure how easy that is to install? I watched a youtube video and it didn't look as easy as the CT ones. Ugh.

Oh - yes, we have latch on the outside seats. Her infant seat is currently in the middle with the seatbelt. But, I read that after they reach a certain weight they need to be installed with the seatbelt anyways (instead of latch). . but maybe that's just this Britax one, I can't remember. And I feel way better with a good seatbelt install for if we travel and are in different cars - not sure if that makes sense or not though!

jjordan

I think it is wise to have a seat that has an easy seatbelt installation. Like you said, LATCH can't be used over a certain weight, and also when you're installing in a different car, the seatbelt might be a better option than LATCH.

Personally, if it were me, I'd just suck it up and get the Britax that you seem to have fallen in love with. :) You won't (I assume) usually be carrying a seat and a child. If you're using your husband's car on the weekend, presumably both of you will be there and one can hold the child while one moves the seat. For traveling, we always use a stroller as a luggage cart for car seats and all our carry-ons, so the only time the car seat's weight is a factor at all is putting it onto the belt to go through security and from the entrance to the plane (where the stroller gets left) back into the seat.

But certainly, there are lots of nice seats that weigh less, and I would encourage you to check them out at Babies R Us or a specialty baby store if you're not entirely sure of your choice. Different people appreciate different things in car seats, so you can't necessarily expect that the seat that people on a forum think is perfect for you, really is the perfect one! :)

U

Unregistered

Ok, you make some good points! I will go to the store to check them out again before making my final decision. . .thank you!

1mommy

I agree that you should go to the store and try them out, I will say if you want to go for a non Clight Tight seat, that installing a car seat can be very intimidating at first, but the first time you install it read the manual throughly and make an appointment at your local CPST to get the car seat checked. Once you install (a non click-tight) seat a few times it will become a lot easier (still can be a pain in the rear, but not difficult).

I don't think this is the solution to your problem but I'll suggest it anyways just for a thought- the Titan 65 at walmart has easy latch connectors and can be used with latch up to 55 pounds. Its light at 9 pounds but is not the best travel seat for rental cars if you rent a small car because it can take up a lot of space back to front.

May I ask why your husband doesnt want a car seat installed in his car? Will he be routinely taking others who need that seat, or is he concerned about the car seat damagining his car? Because with any car seat even the Britax Click tight, the more times you install it, the more times there is room for error. Please note that car seats do not damage your car, even leather seats (I have them). If he can just keep the seat installed that would be best.

If you do go for the Britax CT I would suggest you hold your dd while you make your husband unisntall the seat from your car and carry it over to his car, then have him hold the child while you install the seat (or you can supervise).

AllieK

I have a Britax Click Tight (Frontier 90) and it weighs about 25lbs. I can easily switch it from car to car and we are preparing to travel with it after the new year. I am happy to deal with the added weight for the ease of Click Tight! :)

Frankly, I don't see how you could possibly transfer any car seat and install it while holding a child regardless of the weight of the seat - it's really a 2 man job if you've got the kids with you (one person to wrangle the kids, one to install the seat(s))

I will also add, there are many times we have been so thankful we had 2 car seats. Diaper blowouts, throwing up, spilling milk and a car accident have all taken one of our car seats out of commission at one time or another. If we didn't have the 2nd seat we would have been forced to sit around the house & change plans. Not the end of the world but definitely an inconvenience for a busy family!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC