Car recommendation for Tall parents with 2 RFing.

KandFsMom

We recently moved cross country to the North Bay area and had to leave our beloved car behind. It fit us all great and was a 2005 Scion xB that we were lucky to find with low miles when our oldest was born.

Now we are car shopping and trying to find something that will fit my 6'6" tall husband, myself 5'8", and two RFing kiddos. One daughter is 2.5 but we want to RF her until 4 or as close to that as possible and really don't want to turn her yet. Our other daughter is only 9 months and will be RFing for years to come. Currently they are in a Radian RXT, with angle adjuster, and a Combi Coccoro. We also have one of the Graco clones for when our youngest outgrows the Combi.

On top of the size issues, it is looking like my husband is going to have a long commute so we are trying to find something that is good on gas too. Ideally around 30mpg combined.

We haven't been able to find any older xBs with lower mileage and newer models are too cramped. We are looking to buy used, with ideally under 100k miles, in in the $8-12k range.

Any suggestions?

ADS

cantabdad

The Scion xB looks like a smaller car, but looking up its measurements online, I see that it has a crazy amount of legroom, especially up front. So it is actually very hard to match that amount of space for tall drivers -- even some full-size sedans like the Toyota Avalon and Ford Taurus come up short.

Here's an article from Edmunds about some overall good choices for tall drivers, though it is focused on new models: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-sedans-for-tall-drivers-for-2014.html

The Hyundai/Kia options (Sonata, Optima) look good to me in terms of meeting your space needs plus good fuel economy and 5-star overall safety ratings from NHTSA. If you go back to about the 2010-2012 model years it seems that you could get one right around your target price.

MUTigers

You might check out a Prius. I don't know how it would do with 2 RFers, but my 6'9" husband was riding in one recently and said he had quite a bit of room for it being a car.

If you're flexible on the mpg, we have an '08 jeep liberty that fits him, me (5'9") and 2 RFers. It's tight, but works.

newyorkDOC

We have a Prius. We are both short. There's no way you could comfortably fit 2 RF seats if the front seats need to be all the way back. The middle belt in the back is super tight. Like maybe you could fit a radian there...

Maybe in the Prius V it's doable.

DawgDad

We have a Prius. We are both short. There's no way you could comfortably fit 2 RF seats if the front seats need to be all the way back. The middle belt in the back is super tight. Like maybe you could fit a radian there...

Maybe in the Prius V it's doable.

Yeah, my in-laws have the Prius V and there really is no way a tall driver and passenger could then fit a RF car seat in the back. I am 6'1" and have the seat almost all the way back to fit in the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC