Convertible stroller??

Aurezalia

Okay... I need stroller help. Hit me with your best ideas!
Here's the situation:
3 kids - 4, 2, and 1. 4yo doesn't ride in the stroller anymore, but 2yo definitely still needs contained, as well as the 1yo obviously. 4 and 2yo have preschool 3x a week, during which I only have the baby. While I considered just getting a double and single and leaving them in the car depending on which kids I have that day, it's not going to work - 4yo is in a Sureride in the 3rd row, so I only have 1/2 of the row down for cargo. Fitting a double and a single stroller just will not work. So I'm looking for a stroller that I can use as both a single and a double easily whenever I need to that will fit back there.

Complicating factors:
-2yo is the size of a 4 year old. 40", 40lbs (maybe a bit more.)
-1yo (at 12 1/2 months) is also large. 31" 26lbs.
I need a stroller that's going to last more than a few months. Obviously those with 40lb seat limits aren't going to work now, and those with 45lb limits aren't worth looking at. Add that to the fact that a lot of strollers have like a 30lb weight limit on the second seat which the baby will outgrow soon... Things aren't looking so hot.
I also need to be able to find it used or on SUPER sale, because my budget is TIGHT. The 2015 Vista looks like it would work, but I can't swing $800 for a stroller no matter how much I like it. :(

So what else is out there that takes at least 50lbs in the main seat, at least 35 pounds in the second seat, folds relatively compactly, converts single-to-double easily, and if possible doesn't have an obscured view for the second rider?
Am I dreaming too big? Help? :eek:

ADS

lgenne

You might be surprised at how weight gain plateaus in bigger kids. I had a 40 lb 2 yo who is now a 45ish pound almost 5 yo, roughly 2.5 years later. 45 pounds would have been a perfectly reasonable weight limit for him.

Aurezalia

You might be surprised at how weight gain plateaus in bigger kids. I had a 40 lb 2 yo who is now a 45ish pound almost 5 yo, roughly 2.5 years later. 45 pounds would have been a perfectly reasonable weight limit for him.
He's up 2lbs in just the last month or two, so he's definitely not plateauing yet. It doesn't look likely that his growth is going to slow anytime soon. As well, having the option to toss the baby in a carrier and have both the 4yo and 2yo ride sometimes would be nice!

Have you looked at the b-ready?
I have! That may be my only option. I was just hoping for something where the kid in the second seat (which would be the 1yo) would actually be able to see something besides the main seat. At least it's pretty easy to find used!

Aurezalia

Pliko P3 (or whatever the new model is) has an integrated step. So 4yo or 2yo could ride on the step and you can out baby in stroller or in carrier. Fold is very compact, fits nicely in the Ody wheel well when 3rd row in use.

http://en.pegperego.com/baby/pliko-p3-compact-classico

I thought about a ride-on board or something like that, but, well... the 2yo is VERY two. :p If I'm using my hands to push a stroller, I have to be able to buckle him in so he can't take off. If I have the baby in the carrier (like I usually do when I pick them up from school) I have a hand for each walker, but if I'm pushing they both need to be buckled in.

bubbaray

I thought about a ride-on board or something like that, but, well... the 2yo is VERY two. :p If I'm using my hands to push a stroller, I have to be able to buckle him in so he can't take off. If I have the baby in the carrier (like I usually do when I pick them up from school) I have a hand for each walker, but if I'm pushing they both need to be buckled in.

Baby in carrier, 2yo in stroller and 4yo walking or riding? 2yo might surprise you on the board

katymyers

Well, you could get a Baby Jogger City Select. It has two full sized seats in double mode which is pretty unique in convertible strollers like that. I've never heard anything bad about one but I can't speak for it personally and it may not be outrageously priced but it certainly isn't cheap. You could also try a sit n stand with a buckle on the back seat, I have a Graco one and it keeps my kids nicely contained and it isn't as huge as a full sized double stroller. You might also consider a compact double like the City Mini double, which folds up so small a compact single would also fit. Or, get a good toddler carrier like a Kinderpack or a Toddler Tula and use that with just a single stroller.

Aurezalia

I'm not looking for any other solutions, I've run through all the scenarios. I've done single stroller for big kid + carrier for smaller kid before and I can't do that exclusively. I need something that two kids can ride in, contained, for things with lots of walking (like the zoo) and be able to switch out the baby into the carrier for a little while if 4yo needs a break, etc. (Last year I was at the SD zoo all the time with a 4yo and a large 1yo and I wanted to die having him in the carrier the whole time until I finally had a double stroller to use.) 2yo is a runner and needs full containment if I don't have my hands on him.

BJCS seats are a 45lb limit and not all that tall, either. I know all the common options - BJCS, Vista, B-ready, Phil & Teds, Mountain Buggy... Just wondering if someone has any more obscure options that could work, otherwise I'll end up with a B-ready and just have to deal with the rumble seat that I don't particularly like.

ohithere

I have! That may be my only option. I was just hoping for something where the kid in the second seat (which would be the 1yo) would actually be able to see something besides the main seat. At least it's pretty easy to find used!

If baby is still in an infant seat (or able to be squeezed into one), you could get the lower infant car seat adaptor. That will allow baby to face you on bottom and not the back of the top seat.

Aurezalia

If baby is still in an infant seat (or able to be squeezed into one), you could get the lower infant car seat adaptor. That will allow baby to face you on bottom and not the back of the top seat.

Nope, she's way too big. :( It would have only been a stop-gap solution anyway, although I was considering it. She's pretty easy-going so it may not matter to her that much, but as she gets older I'm worried it may become a problem. =/

Dillipop

What about a Radio Flyer wagon?

I'd guess it won't fit in a mazda5- that's what you're trying to fit in, right? Though one of those collapsible garden wagons might work, though likely not have seatbelts.

Does the older uppababy have lower limits than the 2015? I just got one used with bassinet for $250 without bassinet you might be able to get one for less and then the rumble seat is $99 new, though you might be able to find one used.

Aurezalia

I'd guess it won't fit in a mazda5- that's what you're trying to fit in, right? Though one of those collapsible garden wagons might work, though likely not have seatbelts. Does the older uppababy have lower limits than the 2015? I just got one used with bassinet for $250 without bassinet you might be able to get one for less and then the rumble seat is $99 new, though you might be able to find one used.

Thanks! I forgot to say which car. :eek: Or maybe I assumed everyone on the board knows by now? :p Regardless, yes, mazda5. A wagon will not fit, and the point of a convertible stroller is to be able to haul just a single stroller out when I only have the baby with me. I think the uppababy has lower limits, although I'm trying to remember now. But the B-ready has higher limits (marginally) and a slightly better rumble seat and I can get them for the same price used so I may as well go for the b-ready, kwim?

jordansmom

I'm not able to look at weight limits or specifics on folding compatibility, but wanted to throw out some other strollers that might be worth looking into. You'd probably have to look used to find in your price range. Ones that came to mind as having potential:

Bumbleride Queen B with toddler seat (put the one year old in the toddler seat because of the 35 lb weight limit)

Valco Trimode with toddler seat (could also use the boogie board for the five year old at the same time).

Jane Powertwin (I think this was redesigned last year and brought back to the US)

Kinderwagon Hop Tandem (surprisingly each seat has a 50 lb weight limit)

ABC single pram with a toddler seat

If I think of any others, I'll be back!

Rosey

My large 4 yr old loves the b ready rumble seat. The lower seat also reclines so you can put a younger baby in it. You might be surprised that the novelty > view lol!

Aurezalia

I'm not able to look at weight limits or specifics on folding compatibility, but wanted to throw out some other strollers that might be worth looking into. You'd probably have to look used to find in your price range. Ones that came to mind as having potential: Bumbleride Queen B with toddler seat (put the one year old in the toddler seat because of the 35 lb weight limit) Valco Trimode with toddler seat (could also use the boogie board for the five year old at the same time). Jane Powertwin (I think this was redesigned last year and brought back to the US) Kinderwagon Hop Tandem (surprisingly each seat has a 50 lb weight limit) ABC single pram with a toddler seat If I think of any others, I'll be back!
That's exactly what I was hoping for!! I'll go look into those. Thank you! :D

My large 4 yr old loves the b ready rumble seat. The lower seat also reclines so you can put a younger baby in it. You might be surprised that the novelty > view lol!
That's what I'm hoping haha! If Zay will do it pretty much anyone will, right? :p

MamaChirpy

What about 2 nicer umbrella strollers that can be hooked together with those clips to be used as a double??? Cheaper solution, compact space, single or double option. Some of the nicer umbrellas are much more durable now and have canopies and baskets and other amenities.

Aurezalia

I'm not able to look at weight limits or specifics on folding compatibility, but wanted to throw out some other strollers that might be worth looking into. You'd probably have to look used to find in your price range. Ones that came to mind as having potential:

Bumbleride Queen B with toddler seat (put the one year old in the toddler seat because of the 35 lb weight limit)

Valco Trimode with toddler seat (could also use the boogie board for the five year old at the same time).

Jane Powertwin (I think this was redesigned last year and brought back to the US)

Kinderwagon Hop Tandem (surprisingly each seat has a 50 lb weight limit)

ABC single pram with a toddler seat

If I think of any others, I'll be back!

A few of these are dedicated doubles it looks like, which I don't want - I'm so tired of hauling a double around when I've just got the baby. :p But the ones with the toddler seats are interesting. I'm just not sure it would work? I hesitate to put the baby in a dinky seat like that, especially if we're going to the zoo or something where she'll need to be able to nap, but the boys can't walk the whole thing. The ABC pram (I think it was that one...) does offer a traditional toddler seat as well as a full-sized seat that has reclining capabilities... but it goes on top of the handlebar?? I'm 5'2", I'd never be able to see where I'm steering! :eek:

I remembered why I hate the current Vista - the rumble seat attaches in the front so the seats can only be facing me. 2yo wants other things to look at! LOL. The B-ready set-up would work much better, especially because the second seat reclines and all. But gosh, I love the Maya color - wish I could swing the 2015 Vista. :p

What about 2 nicer umbrella strollers that can be hooked together with those clips to be used as a double??? Cheaper solution, compact space, single or double option. Some of the nicer umbrellas are much more durable now and have canopies and baskets and other amenities.
I think that would be an absolute bear to push! LOL. And almost 20lb difference on one side with the strollers just being held together with the clips... eep! I'd rather have him walk! :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC